Just curious

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory Walter K

Just curious

Post by In Memory Walter K »

In December of this year I would have owned Bluebeard for 34 years and loved every year of it. Has anyone in the brotherhood here had theirs longer? Walter
Thums Up

Post by Thums Up »

I know Tony Meola said his father owned the 31, that he has before him. Not sure how long. Hopefully he will hop on and give details. I have been missing you Tony.....I have been in the yard mostly fri.s' lately.
http://Www.GT-lures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mine has been in the family since new in 1966. I am the second family member to own her. I just got home from grinding bottom paint off of the running gear. Tomorrow is finish prep and paint. I am a glutton for punishment.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory Walter K

Sure makes documentation easy for you Rawleigh.
scot

Post by scot »

Nice thread.
For most of us this is our first Bertram. Many (me included) admired the boats from our youth. Hopefully one of my kids will keep the boat I'm rebuilding because the ONLY way I will sell her is "maybe" to buy another one.

40 years in the family Rawleigh, nice. Waltek, 34 years, wow. You guys reinforce my committment to do it right, because these boats can last, and last, and last. I'm headed back outside and grind some more.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

That's an interesting bit of information there Walter.

Can you reflect on the most memorable trips or moments that you have enjoyed aboard Bluebeard in 34 years??

Harry
hb
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Rawleigh & Walter, thats alot of years between you two, thats really cool, purchased mine at the end of 1986, so 23 yrs. on me. Its been gas and now diesel. Not bad for a 42 yr old boat that still keeps on going like the energizer bunny.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I purchased my 1977 in 1987 and owned a 1971 for 6 years prior .
Carl

Post by Carl »

I have mine 14 years and I bought it from my dads good friend who had it for 12 years. I remember when he got it, watched him fish it for years.

The years go by quick...

Funny how these boats are still around and demand a decent dollar when boats made only 10 years ago can be clapped out and ready to be cut up and put into a dumpster.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
31 years of stewardship on my 1961 express since 1978. I have met some of the best people and fishermen in the world and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Pete wrote: I have met some of the best people and fishermen in the world and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Honda had a slogan back in the 60's...."You meet the nicest people on a Honda"..........they apprently did not know about Bertrams back then.....I say that "You meet the most genuine people in vintage Bertrams"
hb
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Ours is a 75 my father bought her knew in August of 75. I still remember picking her up. Back in 75 there were very few boats that could run with her on flat calm day.

So we are coming up on 34 years.

Greg, I was looking for you. By the way, we used fiberglass exhaust tubes as much as possible so very little silicon hose.

I keep thinking I am coming into the home stretch but I can not believe that after spending a full day on her I feel like very little is accomplished in the day.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Tony wrote:I keep thinking I am coming into the home stretch but I can not believe that after spending a full day on her I feel like very little is accomplished in the day.
Tony, that simple statement actually renews my spirits....I thought I was the only one feeling that way.......people ask me all the time when I intend to be finished with DeNada....I will not even answer them anymore.

Harry
hb
luis

Post by luis »

Harry Babb wrote: Tony, that simple statement actually renews my spirits....I thought I was the only one feeling that way.......people ask me all the time when I intend to be finished with DeNada....I will not even answer them anymore.

Harry
I keep a log book and I have writen all I want to do. And I keep writing what is done. Only when I look to so many pages already writen, I realize that I already have done a lot of work because, looking to the boat it seems that almost nothing is done yet. About the people that ask me when (they also say I'm crazy doing this),I just say "next year" and I hope iy true. With me for 19 years now and I even don't dare to talk to my kids words like "sell" because they can kill me for only saying that.
Best regards
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Walter:

34 years?!....................I'm 36 for the love of God!
In Memory Walter K

Hueso- Scares the hell out of me, too!
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I am in my 11th yr ... a '72 Bahia mar. I just missed one of the very first NE rendevous and I think 2 yrs later there 35 31's at Block Island. As I remember there were 43 Bertrams. Doug (ALCHEMY) did one wonderful job.

God Bless Capt Patrick!

I gotta' say that this has been a great ride for me. This website has to be the very best.
A/K/A El Gaupo
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Huesso

Your a kid. Look at all you have to look forward too. You can call Walter Raleigh and I once you cross 30 years on the old girl. We will all have a drink together. Granted, we may be in wheel chairs but you should still be walking.

Harry

I know, frustrating feeling. I get the same questions. Everyone says why so long. I feel like asking them, have you ever pulled a boat apart and tried to put it back together. Comes apart quick. Together is another story.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Together is another story.
The Devil's in the details........