2001 6BTA 330HP Cummins (Air filter) is this normal?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

amuh60

2001 6BTA 330HP Cummins (Air filter) is this normal?

Post by amuh60 »

Engines have 1700 hours and wondering if this looks normal?

Thanks,

Andy

Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Andy
To me it just looks like normal oil build up from crank case ventilation. If you think its excessive you can actually measure crankcase pressure...I am sure that Cummins has a procedure and a max spec in their service manuals.

I don't see anything to be alarmed about just from those pics.

Remove the oil filler cap while the engine is running at operating temprature.....does it look like there is a lot of smoke and blowby coming out of the valve cover????
hb
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

Harry-

The boost pressure looked good and the engines were running very smoothly. There was hardly any smoke on start up. The discharge out the back of the boat was a little dirty for the first minute but cleared up. She turned up to 2800 RPM and still produced very little smoke. I was just a little concerned when I pulled off the air filter and saw the oily film. In the process of pulling off the air filter I also pulled the bowl which the filter was seated in (not the main bowl/OOPS!) and that is why you see the paint peeling. We were sure to clean that up real well prior to running. Thanks for your input Harry

Andy
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Andy wrote:The boost pressure looked good
Boost pressure is produced by the Turbo in the intake system....the pressure that I am refering to is the "Crankcase" pressure....pressure on the bottomside of the pistons....pressure that will increase from excessive blow by around the piston rings......

I don't think you have a problem but if you are concerned you can test it by measuring "CRANKCASE" pressure.
hb
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

Thanks,

Andy
scot

Post by scot »

For 1700 hours I would vote normal. Wipe it down and check it from time to time.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Looks normal to me. Needs a turbo wash tho. Take 8 oz. of distilled water and stir in one oz. of Dawn diswashing liquid in a spray bottle......with boat underway at high cruise, say 2400 RPM spray the contents of the bottle into the air intake (filter off) over a period of 3 or 4 minutes, then follow with 6 oz. of pure distilled water. Works wonders on the turbo, aftercooler, valves, pistons, rings, etc. No, it won't hurt the engine.

UV