My old/new little skiff

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

My old/new little skiff

Post by Harry Babb »

In the late 40's a guy named Lawrence Stauter started manufacturing plywood boats on the causeway between Mobile and Baldwin County Alabama. He successfully continued his business, Stauter Boat Works, until 1979 when an unfriendly visitor named Hurricane Fredrick destroyed his entire plant.

His boats were simple functional and afforadable. He made several models up to 22' (? I think) and you could buy them finished or unfinished. Mr Stauter's nephews continue to make the same boat today in Mobile.

Since these boats were very popular the older models have now begun to command the respect of collectors and enthuisist.

I purchased this little boat about 6 years ago and used it in Fish River just beating around and joy riding.

Back in January I discovered a local craftsman that specializes in the restoration of Stauter boats. He is as passoinate about Stauters as us Bertram guys are about our 31's.

I sent my little Stauter to him to do a face lift and undo 39 years of age and neglect. Today Ken delivered "Snookems" back to me in all of her natural beauty.

Being as proud of this little skiff as I am my first thoughts are to share some pics with you guys.

Take a look.....

[/img]Image

Harry
hb
Jareb

Post by Jareb »

Beautiful skiff Harry. I bet it runs along nice with about a 10 HP motor
John
kellysmall

Post by kellysmall »

Great looking work Harry. I think I heard about that guy once when I was living in Mobile/Spanish Fort. I once knew a guy just east of Spanish Fort that built his own version of the Simmons Sea Skiff. He did high quality work on small skiffs like the Stauter. He had patented a scarfer attachment to fit on his electric planer. Worked like a charm. Look him up sometime (John Henry Scarfer).

Hey, it's about time for another trip to Cobalts, huh?

-Kel
scot

Post by scot »

Neat little boat Harry. We had several custon air boat builders in my area when I was a kid. They turned out a plywood step bottom design that was beautiful.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Thanks for the compliments.....

John....10 HP is ample horse power for these skiffs, I think it only weighs about 300 pounds or so......but....Lico is gonna love this.... when I bought the boat it had a 25 HP Merc on it....and still does. It is actually dangerous if you "Tap It Out".....it slides in sharp turns and gets really squirley.....they were never meant to be powered with that much horse power.

Kelly....I'm ready for Cobalts anytime....it would be nice to muster up our Louisiana friends and have another visit like the last time.....what about it Kipp??? Doug....you listening?????

Scot....An Airboat is actually on my Bucket List.....
hb
scot

Post by scot »

This picture was taken in the mid 70s. The boat belonged to a neighbor. I spent much of my youth in his garage helping him (handing him tools) build this boats. My addiction to boat building started early.

This is considered a "tractor drive" because the prop is on the front. I always thought this one had really beautiful lines. They were all painted with Interlux "duck boat brown".

BTW Harry, I've owned 2, get you one, they are a blast.

Last edited by scot on Jun 29th, '09, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
Scot
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Scot
I have never seen an airboat like that in my life......very unique looking.

What were they primarily use for....Frogging, Booz Cruzin, Sight Seeing....

My neighbor once built boats and one of his products was Airboats. The first one was powered with a VW engine....probably 50 HP or so....we/he slotted the front pulley so that it could be started with a pull rope....just retard the timing....give her a yank...advance the timing back to the proper setting and your off and running. Later he built several more with SB Chevy engines.

I see them for sale on Craigslist all of the time.....but Jo Ann's divorce lawyer (just kidding) has warned me about bringing another project home.....the airboat is still on my Bucket List.

Harry
hb
scot

Post by scot »

What were they primarily use for....Frogging, Booz Cruzin, Sight Seeing....
Harry for the most parts these boats were used for duck / goose hunting only. That's why the older boats were low profile, you can hind them in marsh grass. The "Bahia Mar" looking wind screen gives you something to duck behind as grass, coots and other marsh crap fly at you. These boats were built long before the high chair versions showed up in our part of the country, going back to the 50's.

The one in the picture was my first experince at going fast. The boat would run 60-70 in 1" of water & across mud flats...scare the crap out of you, yes there were accidents and fatalities. Duh, 70mph 1ft off the ground through the marsh in plywood boats...and you can't see over the grass in front of you.

That boat of yours needs one of the old 9.8 Mercs. Neat little engine and brick simple. The old 9.8's and 20 Mercs had a knife edged lower unit and ran the marsh great. They are all squared and angles today. Grass would not collect at the prop, it would slide right under it...self cleaning of sorts.
Scot
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Harry,
That skiff looks great...I saw one yesterday on top on one of those mega yachts tied up at the wharf...like the natural looking interior...hope you have a ball with her..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

harry your still my hero , you just keep out doing yourself every time.a 25 hp on her is just find well maybe you can put your weight further back and go for a 40hp ----------------only kidding!!!! just be openminded and never look back.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

Great lookingi skiff. I'll bet its a lot of fun with that 25 on the back end.

Enjoy, nothing like tooling around in a classic.
randall

Post by randall »

great looking skiff!!.

mike and i saw an airboat yesterday. came flying over the marina at about 150 feet. looked like an inflatable grafted to an ultralight.
scot

Post by scot »

looked like an inflatable grafted to an ultralight.
Randall that sounds like something YOU need to do....bucket list that thing!
Scot
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

harry
nice skiff, when i was 10 i had a wooden 16' wolverine, had a 15 evenrude on it, the ice finnally got it, one duck hunting season.
randall

Post by randall »

i had a lot of stuff on my when i get to 50 list. but then i got to 50 and i was still feelin 30....so now its 70. (sure not feelin 30 anymore)
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

that skiff brings back lots of memories. Sweet Harry, enjoy it.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Went to the river today just to play for a while.....

[/img]Image

[/img]Image

A buddy clocked her at 25 MPH.....thrilling ! ! !
hb
scot

Post by scot »

I know that brings back memories, I had a few just "looking" at you going down the river in the little skiff.

Good for you Harry. Neat little boat.
Scot
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Harry, I have an engine extension handle you might want to sit up a little further. Bet it would run even faster. Congratulations. Walter
randall

Post by randall »

harry....looks like fun!! neat little boat.