GROUNDING OUTRIGGERS

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill G.

GROUNDING OUTRIGGERS

Post by Bill G. »

What is the correct way to ground outriggers?..................txs-B.G.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Years ago when I was worried about dying young I'd throw some galvanized chain around the bases and let it drag in the water when the storms came up. Nowdays I do nothing......

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bill,

The reality of it is that given the shear emf of a lightning bolt, you couldn't put a large enough system to be 100% effective.

Flat copper ribbon and a cintered bronze ground plate, both of which have surface area which is what you want are the proper materials.

But I've seen the best lightning protection systems completly fail and fry everything.

If your talking for simple anti shock hazzard a #6 wire to your bonding system will work but make sure the rigger has the stainless metal wire connectors between sections as most have nylon insulators holding the sections and pivot point bolts.

Use one of the base mounting bolts as a ty in. Most are of the flat or oval head type bolt using a counter sink base hole. Remove the anodizing from the counter sink(if your base is aluminum) as this can be an insulator and don't use caulk on the bolt head taper as this will also act as an insulator.

Use caulk on the backup flat washer to seal out water.

This effectivly isolates mulitple sections and mountings.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

It was safer years ago when outriggers were fiberglass. I'm showing my age.
randall

Post by randall »

still have the original glass riggers.......and no walter... i didnt get caught out. got back just as the first drops fell. but the guy with the fountain go-fast was just heading out.