Mako Mania

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CHolgerson

Mako Mania

Post by CHolgerson »

Are any of the faithful fishing Makomania out of Manasquan this weekend? I will be fishing on my brothers 28 Topaz with my father.

Chris
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

If you need Mako Crack let me know. Call me if you do.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

THE ROAD will be on the grounds. Last year we caught five over 150 pounders; but no money fish. Still had a great day with four guys who never saw a mako up close. All last year's makos were high fliers. Some of the jumps were really impressive. One took the bait out of my hand and exploded 15 feet behind the boat. We will be heading right back to the same spot this year. This way point has been in my loran and now chart plotters for about 15 years. I found this spot one night setting up for tuna. Shark City. We caught every shark within 2000 feet of the initial hook-up. We would go off and fight them and come right back to the slick and hook-up within 15 minutes. What a day. makocrack=fresh bluefish+ a makomagnet.
Brewster Minton

Mako Crack = Ground up tuna, salmon, stripedbass, sea bass, bluefish, swordfish, shrimp shells. Custom made chum. Deadly!
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Brewster...

That sounds like some of the meals I have been sevrved at sea!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Brewster Minton

We make it fresh every week durring the season
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Sounds like some really good stuff. Too bad you are so far away.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Charlie wrote:Sounds like some really good stuff. Too bad you are so far away.
That's why they invented UPS and FedEx...
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Brewster,

Add to that recipe a smoke detector as a food timer and you have my wifes cooking................
Brewster Minton

Bruce thats awsome! I hope she does not go on Bertram 31.com or you might be in some trouble.
Brewster Minton

I will ship if you want but Fed Ex will get all the $$$$.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Boy I wonder what Fed-X would want to ship a 5 gallon pail of fish guts that weighs 40 pounds. Who gets the bill if the lid pops off? All the chum we get is made locally. One guy is starting to sell bluefish chum; but he is sold out for this weekend. I sure hope I can catch 20 or so Friday. I ice/brine them and they look like they were just caught for a couple of days. We use some for strip baits and the rest get ground to sweeten the slick.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Best Shark bait on the planet:
Wait for it
.Fluke

No really Like a dream your down and tight. Old Mako killer from the 70's shared that with me, and now its yours.
Oh yeah, fluke were allot easier to catch back then
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

4or 5 years ago I had a small thresher beat the crap out of a fluke I was trying to reel in. It finally took a bite and went back to the bottom. Last year I was reeling in a fluke and a brown shark came up and grabbed it. Had him hooked on 15 pound test for about 15 minutes; chewed through the florocarbon leader.
I am still hoping for bluefish.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Charlie and all I have to share this story. Your comment about FEDEX and the top popping off brings it all back...

My buddies who do like to shark fish participate in the Star Island tourney every year for the past few. A couple years ago they went in a 28' Grady. When they got back I asked how it went. The response from my friend Don was this..."it was good, but you would have ###### killed someone." Why you ask????

Don lives in Gloucester, and buys Herring, catches mackerel, and catches blue fish etc, to make his own chum. Stuff works great! They mix in the rice or oatmeal, depending on the day to grow the supply and then they freeze it quickly.

Apparently on this trip, there was not enough time in the freezer, unbeknownst to all... So they drove over to Montauk, put the boat away for the night, and headed off for the night. When they got there in the morning...wait for it....it's coming...well, what happens to rice or oatmeal when it gets wet?

Yup, it expands.

So the tops had popped off all the buckets and the entire cockpit of the Grady was 2-3 inches deep in nice fresh, overnighted chum...

And I have teak decks in my Bertram.

He's right. I would have killed someone!!!!

Good story, and they did get it cleaned up, fished in boots anyway, and did ok in the tourney.

But now he freezes his chum thoroughly before leaving!!!

Dug
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

Well I just got back from this weekends fishing trips. We fished Mako mania on saturday at the glory hole. We were surrounded by boats. We fished hard, using mako crack, fluke and everything else but the kitchen sink. We did not get one single bite. It was great spending the day on the water with my pops and brother but that skunk had to go away so we packed up the truck and headed south to Delaware for a canyon day trip on monday. We headed for the South tip of the Poorman's and had a 36 inch yellowfin right away. He went in the box. We trolled all day working our way down towards the Washington and we picked up a nice mahi. We called it a trip at 5:00pm and steamed 69 nm back to Indian River inlet. The yanmars burnt 98 gallons for the day. Not a great trip but nothing beats fishing with the family.

***Special thanks to my buddy Brewster for helping me out with the Mako Crack. It looked so yummy I was going to try some with saltines :)

Chris Holgerson
"Priceless"
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

On the way out Saturday we passed over large schools of large tuna; marked the spot. We had one Mako a couple inches short of the 66" min. so we let her go. Got back to the tuna spot around 5PM and left them biting taking a nice bluefin and a very nice bigeye. We hooked 15 in about 45 minutes.
Brewster Minton

Were did you catch that big eye?