2001 6BTA 330HP Cummins!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

amuh60

2001 6BTA 330HP Cummins!

Post by amuh60 »

How many hours can you get on these motors before rebuild if very well maintained and not run hard?

Thanks,

ANDY
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

It could be a few to several thousands.
Regards,

Doug L.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

measure in fuel used at power band 30,000 gallons of fuel before rebuild.in turns of hours around 20,000 hours but over heating or rust can take it`s told before hand.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Your entire ownership if well maintained.
scot

Post by scot »

I would think it is safe to say 10,000+ should be the norm for well maintained 6BTAs. As mentioned 20,000 "may" be do-able, but Bob is correct about other elements taking their toll.

Typically "marine years" are harder on marine diesels than hours and most die long before their time. The maintenance is important, but in my opinion, running the engine frequently is MUCH MORE important. An engine that sits around in a salt water marina for months on end without running, who cares how often the filters were changed, something is gonna lock up....turbo, valve, alternator, etc. The list of stuff that dies just sitting around in salt air is endless.

BTW, I personally don't think that running them hard shortens the life of a good quality diesel engine unreasonably, but over propping them kills them quickly.

So, in theory you could take an engine that is 25 years old from an industrial application with 15,000 hours on it, marinize it and get another 10 years from it in your boat. Make sure you paint it so nobody knows, and of course you won't have a warrantee, lol.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

scot i am incline to go with your explanation "marine hours" sums it up .20,000 would be the actual projected hours like in a on land geenerator ,or a ship fresh water cooled generator. incidently the cummins 6bt is a very popular powerplant for generator and 20,000 hours is correct because a generator normally works in a distinct powerband.waterk has right a lifetime if maintain and it doesn`t take much to learn.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Andy, I noticed the shiny "new" showerhead on the exhaust...make sure that it was properly spaced down stream or your turbo may have ingested some salty stuff...new turbo could be costly and the problems dont stop there..may just be a new part..boat diesel has a lengthy post on how it should be done. Bh
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

Thanks for the replies. I am going to sea trial this boat Saturday! -Bob H. how can I tell if the spacing is adequate? These engines have about 1700 hours and propped turning 2850 at full load. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Andy
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Andy, Tony Athens @ Boat Diesel has a post with the measurements above the waterline, 12-15" above waterline minimum, Bruce may also chime in with some tips, just noticed a shiny new part, could very well be routine maintenance, remove the air filter and check the turbo blades for carbon buildup and clearance. Note how they spool up when testing them, make sure they run up the same, look at the other exhaust elbow and see if both were changed. 1700 hours not alot IF maintained right, looking at the boat should tell you alot about HOW they were taken care of. Not trying to burst your bubble, just know what your buying. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?