Electrical System

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Matt29

Electrical System

Post by Matt29 »

All,
I am admittedly suffering from analysis paralysis with my attempts at redesigning my electrical distribution and definitely need some help. I have read an abundance of info online and read Nigel Calder's book. I've got the loads I want on the boat (present and future) and know that I'll be going with a dedicated wet cell battery for cranking the engines (gas), a house bank (two golf car batteries), and a generator (for fridge and A/C). The distribution panels/systems are sketched out, but that is another post, another time. Right now, I'm all sorts of mixed up with the charging/inverter circuitry and could use some guidance.
I've got two 350's with the stock Mando 55A alternators and I'm trying to determine how to use these alternators to best charge 1 cranking battery and the 2 golf cart batteries (in series). I looked online at Ample Power (AP) and Balmar. I am trying to compare the AP's NS2 Regulator with temp sensors and an Alternator Driver and EMON II monitoring panel to the Balmar setup with a MC-612 regulator for each Alternator and a CF-12 Centerfielder (monitoring panel undecided).
I am sure with all the wisdom and experience on this board, someone can tell me if I'm out to lunch or on the right path. If I'm way over thinking this, please let me know if there is a common sense solution. I fear the 35 yrs of "custom" wiring in the boat and I'm willing to spend a bit of cash up front for the bones of the electrical system, so that I can build upon it in good faith as I grow into the boat.

Thanks for all of your help,
Matt
Keeping my hands full and my wallet empty.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

MAtt,

If your installing a generator then cross charging the house bank with the engines in not needed.

Just run the gen set with an ample charger designed to recharge deep cycle batteries.

In fact if you have a generator there is no need for an invertor system and heavy capacity house batteries.

Keep it simple unless you plan on going offshore for days at a time and want redundancy.

Whether you run the genset or engines to charge the batteries, your still burning fuel and gen sets use less than their propulsion engine cousins.
Matt29

Post by Matt29 »

Bruce,

Thank you for the reply. I apologize for not fully explaining my intentions in my previous email for fear that it was already rambling on. When I say generator for AC and fridge, I was thinking of going with a portable Honda EU1000 or 2000 that I could plug into the Elec Distrib for the occasion overnighters. As I am likely to be financially limited to doing phases of the job, the immediate goal is to size the house bank for all desired future loads, and install an appropriate charging/regulation system. Along with that, I plan on installing the distribution/monitoring equipment to include new wiring to my existing loads and a safe shore power connection (I do not trust the birds nest that is there now). I figure this will give me reasonable confidence in the safety and reliability of the power distribution for now. Down the line, I figure I could add on addtional loads, an inverter, and (as time and money permit) a generator connection with AC and fridge.
That being said, I was looking for the best way to use the two alternators that I already have to provide a regulated charge to the cranking and house banks. I respect your knowledge and experience very much and appreciate any input you have to offer. If your input is that my whole philosophy/approach is screwed up, I am open to that input too. I am basically at the point where I cannot repair the faults on the current system b/c it is too challenging and dangerous to sort out the hack job mess that has accumulated over the years. I just want start fresh with a plan that I know and can document.
By the way, I sent you a PM, as well.

Thanks again for your time,
Matt
Keeping my hands full and my wallet empty.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

call me.

Easier to talk it out.
561-622-1736
berty 28

Post by berty 28 »

I have a bert 28 and have the same prob. wanna run 2 starting batt. and 2 agm 4d's fot the ac load mainly the air/cond off an inverter run of the 2 agm's using the alt. off 1 motor to charge the starting batt's and the other to run the house batt. for the inverter to run the a/c does this sound like it will work im kinda stuck without a gen set because of the space issue on the 28 and my fear of gas gen's any help would be greatly appriciated...........Bill