most bang for the buck- offshore tackle

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Buju

most bang for the buck- offshore tackle

Post by Buju »

Wondering what the faithful would reccomend as the best offshore reel (roughly 30lb class) for the $$. Not so concerned about aesthetics (gold anodizing etc) so much as reliability and durability.

I'm thinking that the good ol TLD20 or 25 might be the winner... Hard to beat the performance, combined with the under $200 price tag.

What about Avet? Sure have heard great things about them, and the prices aren't too bad either, allthough considerably higher than the TLD.

Okuma? Junk? From what I've used over the years of their inshore and fly gear, I wasn't too impressed.

Whats Penn got for this niche? The KG's or LD's? Anyone still use Senators? I feel that Penn has really shit the bed in recent years...

I know Shimano now has a plethora of newer models of both star drag and lever drag conventional reels. Torium, Tekota, Triniad, on and on and on... I beleive most of them carry pretty steep prices, but there might be something I'm unaware of? Would, of course, rather stick to lever drag reels.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Buju,

Well this will be the start of the "tastes great" "less filling" debate but I'll throw my hat in. You didn't mention spectra or mono as your base so I'll field the best I can.

I like the Penn 16vsx. Light weight, 2 speed and you can pack with 60lb spectra (same diameter as 16lb) and then top shot with 30 to keep the same line capacity as the bigger reels. Or top shot with 80 and still have the drag capacity to put some heat on the fish and still get free spool.

If your not going be using a harness with the reels then TLD's are a good choice. When you clip into the TLD's with large amounts of drag the reel can torque and begin to have pinion problems. I use TLD 25's for my wire rods, they take allot of abuse and after 8 years I've had my first failure. 10 pounds of drag pulling 300 ft of wire and getting slammed by stripers a few 100 times a year, 8 years of service isn't bad. The drags are still perfect. The limitation is the range of drag for these little reels and the handles (get the T-Bars)

If money were no object I'd stay between the Penn and Shimano products. Both have good product and are easily serviced by you or a local shop. Hope it helps.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Shimano is the way to go.
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Shimanos are nice.. got many & the service center is nearby.they treat us ok.But the Avet s are really a good buy nowadays. Theyve got some high speed 6/1 two speeds that I like.
They ve got great service dept,with a fat turnaround.... & are made in America too.
Wayne
Buju

Post by Buju »

Thanks guys. A bit of background info...
The question is being asked for my good friend. He has just finished a four year ressurection on a B38 (Benchmark 38' cat) that busted up and partially sank during Hurricane Jeanne or Francis in '04. This was obviously a major deal for him, taking up all his free time and cash for four years, the biggest expense being the new twin 480hp Yanmars (6LY3's I think??)
Either way, he got her done, and is gonna be leaving for nearly a month of cruising the Abacos, Berry's, and Eluthera. Until now, most of our time in the Bahamas was spent freediving and shooting hogs & muttons, conch diving, bottomfishing, and bonefishing...And it came to our attention that all he's really got for good offshore gear are a few older Penn International 30's with corresponding rods. So, he's looking to pick up 4 or 6 matching rods and reels for the local tuna, wahoo, and blue suits. Price
is an issue at this point as the rebuild & savings for the trip have taxed him pretty good.

No harnesses, not a real serious troller, but no doubt with this vessel he'll become more serious about it...
JP, those 16vsx look real nice, but at $500 per reel... I think he could pick up 2 TLD 25's w/ rods for the price of one 16vsx. Your testament of using the TLD for the wire line for eight years is very helpful. I've got another good friend (Leave it to Beaver charters) who's beeen using the same TLD's for over a decade, and we're talking 250+ days a year of hard use.
So thats sayin' something...
Wayne, the Avets are a helluva nice reel... and at a good price, with good support, like you mention. I plan on getting a "squadron" of 'em whenever I turn one or both of my Bertrams into something more than planters.

Anyone else know of a reel with a great service record, at a great price. Right now I think the TLD is winning out, based on his needs and circumstances.
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

The low end Okuma's are crap - but I have been using their higher end stuff over the past few years and really like it.

I have a bunch of Salina's and a few of the Titus that are solid reels.

I can't tell you how many Penn's and Shimano
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
jziegler

Post by jziegler »

Check out Accurate Boss Magnums. I use them for deep snapper & grouper fishing in Tortugas. Have high gear ratios, super smooth drags, aircraft aluminum, ball bearings and drags on both sides of spool, large line capacity, and overall super heavy duty. They are awesome but may a bit expensive. Look for deals on ebay. Joe Z
Joef

Avet

Post by Joef »

Buju - Being from Philadelphia, i grew up with Penn reels. Spinners, senators, internaionals, KGs / LDs...and...my all time favorite - squidders. Back when they were all made in philly, you could walk into the factory, drop off your reels each winter and for a few bucks they'd clean em, replace whatever parts and give em back to you ready to go...needless to say - it ain't quite the same today. I still have em - and will keep using them, cause i just can't find a good excuse to get rid of them and pay huge$$ for something else that may or maynot have more bells, whistles an shinier anodizing. I have a squiders that i still use today for striper fishing that my grandfather gave me that he bought in the early 50's i think (can still get parts for them - name any other product where you can still do that) - and honestly, it works great. You can find preety good used Penn reels almost anywhere and can get them "rebuilt" by almost any decent tackle shop.

ALL THAT SAID...2 years ago, i needed some new 50 Ws and bought an Avet. Honestly, it is fantastic. As good as any of the Penns (maybe better with the high performace drag system) Well made in the US and factory support as well as tackle shop support is great. The 30s or 50s would be great reels for duty in the bahamas.

...just my opinion (which is worth only the price i charge you for it - nothing) i'd look for some good used Penn Internationals
Joef

by the way - nice cat

Post by Joef »

Are the benchmarks still made by anyone?...i remember seeing these at a boat show in Connecticut one time - very cool looking, and i'd imagine pretty good riding
Buju

Post by Buju »

Jeremy... First positive report I've received about Okuma's...
Are you talking the titus gold, titus silver, or just titus?

Joe Z... Well sure the Accurates are the cats ass. But we're talking economical here. Allthough, I was surprised when I checked the prices on 'em... Less coin than the Penn 16vsx, not much less, but still less. I'd definatley take the twin drag over the Penn for the same $.

Joe F... Ahh, the squidders... and jigmasters... and piermasters. I love the old Penns. Can't imagine how many fish I whupped up on with Senators. Almost every flea market in S.FL will have a nice selection of Internationals from the glory days of Penn...So, yeah this weekend gonna have to do a bit of yard sale and flea market hoppin', see what I can come up with.
Regarding the Benchmarks... I beleive Jim Moir(??) stopped making them around the same time as this one got worked over by the storm. I think the facilities were pretty badly damaged in the same storm. Yes, they're a pretty incredible ride, far removed from all the other cats. Apperently there is some connection to CR Hunt with the hull design, don't remember exactly what. It's also the one cat that I dare say is actually attractive. The layout is highly functional, with a huge cockpit and lazarette, tons of storage, centered helm, two companionways going below. Very cool boat.
There was supposedly one owned by an oil company, which was set up with twin arneson drives, for a high speed personel & machinery ferry to the gulf rigs... I'd like to see that baby going through her paces @ w.o.t.
Apperently Jim recently sold the molds to Calcutta Catamarans. Whereas Calcutta is putting a center console cap on em, I beleive it's their 36'. Looks totaly different, but its the same hull.
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Titus Gold - I have a regular Titus too - and for that matter I have a Classic that refuses to die (reminds me of the old Penns)

I personally think the new penns are not on the same level as the old ones.

I'm tough on reels - we do alot of shark and tarpon fishing (with the occasional kingfish run) - but I'm cheap too.
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Shimano Tiagra 16 I have a bunch of them. They all have 80lb braid on them with a mono top shot spliced into them. Keep in mind, the drags are set up right out of the box to run 80lb with appropriate drag. No need to send to Cal Sheets for blueprinting like I did with all of my Penn Internationals.

I have a few TLD 25s and they are great reels for the money, with very good drags. However, I have had two of them fail where the reel mounts onto the rod -- in both cases the back of the reel exploded into little pieces. Both times we were shark fishing and pitching baits to small blue sharks -- the reel only had 8lbs of drag on it and it was not a big blue shark.

I love my Tiagras and if I could only pick one reel for offshore fishing that would be it.

Tom