Drop in hidden horn

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

STeveZ

Drop in hidden horn

Post by STeveZ »

My current stock horns have never worked, I'm pretty sure its a wiring/switch problem. As long as I'm going to work on it I was thinking of going to one of the flush mounted horns shown below for a cleaner look. Any experience with them? They don't sound like a VW or anything do they?

cmccool

Post by cmccool »

Steve

I went through the same thought process as you except that you are a bit smarter and asked the question. I just assumed they would sound like a horn but that was a bad assumption.

I have a pair of electronic horns mounted on my 28 and they sound like a loud warning buzzer - not horn like at all. If you are using them strictly for warning purposes they would be fine as they are loud enough.

If you occasionally tap the horn to say hi to someone, they are not suitable in my opinion. I will continue to pack a disposable air horn for that purpose.

My 2 cents.

Cliff
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Thanks, I've seen a few on my pier, I'll have to give them a listen.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Sound like a smoke alarm to me. In the fog I dont know if you would think it was a boat or not.
cmccool

Post by cmccool »

Good call Brewster. You are 100% right. I am hooking up a hailer to my VHF to use as a fog horn so I hadn't thought about that. I would definitely not use an electronic horn as a fog horn.

The first question that comes to everybody's mind when they hear my "horn" is, "what is that?" That is not a question I want asked in the fog.

Cliff
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Steve,
Bridge mount electric horns are the least reliable piece of equipment on our Bertram's. Hidden horns probably fall in the same category except they leave a bigger hole. Throw away all the electric horns. How many times have you jammed your fingers trying to wash around them, had black or rust streaks down the side of the bridge from them, tried to repair them only to find replacement buys you another year. These ugly pieces of chrome, plastic and pot metal should not take away from the lines of our boats.

Replace it with a Falcon hand-held or two. You can buy two for under $25 and they are bullet proof . If Rybovitch can deliver boats with hand-held horns, why not use them on the best boat ever built.

Hornless in Hampton Bays
John F.

Post by John F. »

I'm with Harry. Replacements for me will be hand-helds.