USCG/MD DNR Boardings

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

USCG/MD DNR Boardings

Post by John F. »

I've heard/read about increased safety checks by MD Department of Natural Resources police and the USCG. I don't think I've ever been boarded/stopped by the USCG, and haven't been boarded/stopped by DNR in maybe 15 years. The past two times I've run across the Chesapeake to Annapolis, I've been boarded and had safety checks done-once by DNR and once by the USCG. Both times, the guys were courteous and professional, and I got warnings. I had an old registration card (but current stickers) on the B31, and an inoperative stern light (it was barely dusk) on the B20.

Just an FYI to check your flares, placards, etc., and be careful about having too many boat sodas. At least around mid-Bay, they are definitely out there.

John F.
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Thanks John, we passed a large boat w/ USCG markings over the weekend and it occurred to me that the placards w/ my numbers and stickers were laying up in the vee birth. Probably ought to check the flare dates too.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

John,

I've heard the same report from some friends. They did get harassed a little as the Capt. had an open beer. I think along with safety they're out there looking for BUI's as well.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

The first time I got boarded on my 28B by the USCG there was gallon bucket of empties. I asked if they wanted to drop anchor while I got the paperwork. They said let your friend drive. I pointed to the bucket and said they are all his. The comment was he could go straight enough at idle and just keep her moving. We were half way in the Manasquan inlet.
Mack

Post by Mack »

Thanks for the heads up John.

These are not safety checks. They are try to bust power boater drunks on the water - particularly at night around Annapolis. Ever see them "safety check" a sailboat in Annapolis?! If the U.S. Coast Guard charges you with a BUI, you will also be charged by the DNR at the state level - no double jeaopardy protection.
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
John F.

Post by John F. »

Crae-

Actually, the USCG had just finished with a sailboat boarding as I went by. I'm sure you're right about the BUIs though.

John