Block Island...Quite destination or a crowded

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Block Island...Quite destination or a crowded

Post by Carl »

Looking for a boating destination. A friend is considering Block Island but I have it in my head this is not the quite, relaxing on the beach, burgers on the back of the boat get away from people spot we are looking for.

I have heard it's beautiful with lots of things to see and do, great restaraunts and accomodations, but for me I really just want down time.

Thanks
John F.

Post by John F. »

My wife and I went there a couple of years ago around July 4th for a night (by ferry and stayed at at hotel). Depending on where you went, it ranged from touristy/party to quiet. Steve Miller who posts here sometimes lives there. Try to pm him. Great guy. I'd go again anytime--bring or rent bikes.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If you're going by your own boat in the summertime, it's more than crowded unless you anchor off somewhere. Nevertheless, to enjoy the Island, you'll have to pull into a marina at some time or another. Reservations are a must or my experience is you will be rafted. That may happen even with reservations if you're there on a weekend.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Block is beautiful, but weekends will be packed. Forget about 4th of July, it will be crazy. Where are you leaving from, Staten Island? If you are leaving from a point further east, say Montauk or Orient points on Long Island, I would suggest a run to Cutty Hunk or Naushon islands. Very, very quiet and pleasant.

You might also be surprised to find parts of Shelter Island quieter than Block, although you will need to anchor. Coecles is very very peaceful and quiet, West Neck is a little busier but still relaxing. You could always stay in Dering harbor there, it is a little busier but no like Block. If you know someone who is a member of the SIYC you will have no problem getting a mooring from them. Shelter is also a MUCH shorter run from Staten Island than Block or Cutty Hunk.

One other very quiet place that not many people know is Watch Hill on Fire Island. They have slips, and it is about as peaceful and quiet as you can get. Not much to do but lay on the beach, hike, and relax.
Carl

Post by Carl »

jspiezio wrote: One other very quiet place that not many people know is Watch Hill on Fire Island. They have slips, and it is about as peaceful and quiet as you can get. Not much to do but lay on the beach, hike, and relax.
jspiezio, Watch Hill is exactly what "I" am in the mood for. Been there several times, still a backup but looking for a possible change of scenery, with less HorseFlies... Heard about Sailors Haven on Fire Island too. Supposed to have a bit more then Watch Hill, another possible choice.

Yes, leaving from Staten Island. Taking two kids and a dog, so I would rather not anchor.

I'll look into the other places you mentioned, thanks.

Walter,
Rafting, that would be fine with my boat...I don't think my buddy would too keen about that with his.

John, Bikes huh...So that would be 2 kayaks, 4 bikes, a crate of beach toys, one inflatable with outbourd, chest with Beverages, another with ice and food, clothes for two girls and the wife and an Xtra pair of shorts for me...gonna need a bigger boat!

Block Island, I don't have enough votes to rule anything out, but I'm thinking Block does not get my vote.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

sim wrote: jspiezio, Watch Hill is exactly what "I" am in the mood for. Been there several times, still a backup but looking for a possible change of scenery, with less HorseFlies... Heard about Sailors Haven on Fire Island too. Supposed to have a bit more then Watch Hill, another possible choice.

Yes, leaving from Staten Island. Taking two kids and a dog, so I would rather not anchor.

I'll look into the other places you mentioned, thanks.

Walter,
Rafting, that would be fine with my boat...I don't think my buddy would too keen about that with his.

John, Bikes huh...So that would be 2 kayaks, 4 bikes, a crate of beach toys, one inflatable with outbourd, chest with Beverages, another with ice and food, clothes for two girls and the wife and an Xtra pair of shorts for me...gonna need a bigger boat!

Block Island, I don't have enough votes to rule anything out, but I'm thinking Block does not get my vote.
Sailor's Haven is a good choice. It does have more going on than Watch Hill, and it is easier to get to than Watch Hill. Also, you can get a water taxi over to food in Ocean Beach, Fair Harbor, or Ocean Bay Park very easily. You could even walk pretty easily, nice along the beach or through the "Sunken Forest" boardwalk.

You could even spend some time in Ocean Beach at the marina. You will have the ocean, a very nice bay beach as well, and the town of Ocean Beach with restaurants, ice cream shops, etc. That could work for you guys as well, and you could split the time- stay there two days, Sailor's Haven two days, or what ever.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

sim
if you plan on going to fire island, be careful real skinny water getting in, watch you buoys, if iam not mistaken i belive for sailors haven you have to approch from the north straight in. am i correct guys in great south bay.no one that i know that boats on great south bay has towing insurance, they just walk home if the have to.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

cwj wrote:sim
if you plan on going to fire island, be careful real skinny water getting in, watch you buoys, if iam not mistaken i belive for sailors haven you have to approch from the north straight in. am i correct guys in great south bay.no one that i know that boats on great south bay has towing insurance, they just walk home if the have to.
Yes, best approach is from the due north. The Channel in is marked starting about 1/2 mile north of the entrance. The water on both sides is between 4-7 feet as you head south toward the dock. Plenty of water when compared to Watch Hill! The bay is pretty wide open in that area, never very deep, 6-10 feet average, but even all around you.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Thanks, I'll move Sailors Haven up a notch or two.

Yes I am somewhat familiar with the Skinny water in the Bay, actually I just know the water is not deep anywhere and and real shallow everyplace else. Also to make sure I get updated info before heading out that way.

Approach from due North, got it thanks. Won't be going till late July so I may ask for any other specifics and or updates if we decide to go that way.

Thanks,
Carl
Dug

Post by Dug »

SIM,

Block island has something for everyone. I love the place.

Shoot me a note, or give me a ring. I will explain further. 508-792-5007

Dug
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

sim there is no problem with low water what so ever going to sailers haven from fire island inlet. keep the red cans on your right all the way. there is low water just to the west of entrance to sailer`s haven don`t take short cuts ! there is one serious problem with sailers haven if you walk over the dunes to the ocean .DO NOT WALK EAST WITH FAMILY !!!!!! the next beach over is cherry grove there will be many 25 year old and up girls naked in the water on the beach.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Bob- Times have changed (and improved). Used to be guys...and guys. Walter
Oh God...am I politically incorrect?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

no waterk the guys are 3 beaches to the east that is fire island pines. that beach remains descreet no police only on invite or medical emergency same as cheery grove . the women must put there bathing suits on when they go from dunes to bay (at the foot of the stairs). nothing has changed on the beaches from kismet to moriches inlet in 40 years still all contruction forbiden for 32miles of oceanfront and on bay front no stucture over 28' allowed .no roads, no cars without access permit only 13 given per year and limited from dec. to feb. from causeway bridge parking lot to ocean beach. my grand children will walk the same beaches i fish on with absolutly no changes the same as fire island 1760 .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

bob lico wrote:no waterk the guys are 3 beaches to the east that is fire island pines. that beach remains descreet no police only on invite or medical emergency same as cheery grove . the women must put there bathing suits on when they go from dunes to bay (at the foot of the stairs). nothing has changed on the beaches from kismet to moriches inlet in 40 years still all contruction forbiden for 32miles of oceanfront and on bay front no stucture over 28' allowed .no roads, no cars without access permit only 13 given per year and limited from dec. to feb. from causeway bridge parking lot to ocean beach. my grand children will walk the same beaches i fish on with absolutly no changes the same as fire island 1760 .
The Pilgrims were naked on the beach?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Does anyone know if Sailors Haven takes reservations? It seems like just about every marina out on Fire Island is first-come-first-serve.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

The nude beach ..... twenty yrs ago my son had a body board contest next to this beach. The perverts had to stand up and walk around. There were familys and such there. Most of them were gays ( the nudist, that is). Maybe this is why many are against same sex marriage. HIV to them all.
A/K/A El Gaupo
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Getting back to the topic, I have a mooring at Fair Harbor for any and everybody to use. I drop the family off at the dock, tie up to the mooring and swim in. And there is a 31 tied up to the private dock w/ 315 Yannies. The boat floats across the bay... what a site. Very pretty!

The Great South Bay has some very shallow water. However stay within the bouys. No problem

We are having a tropical rain storm here on the South Shore right now. WoW!!
A/K/A El Gaupo
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Capt Dick Dean wrote:HIV to them all.
Nice.
Regards,

Doug L.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

my house is directly across the bay from fire island pines .fourtunatly this is the highest point on all of fire island sea shore.i mention 1760 above that is the age of the house on the next street (edwards homestead) also sayville historical society. the written history of fire island dates back to this year.the only way to get to fire island pines /cheery grove is by way of sayville ferry .on fridays nights the train brings all the very wealthy celebrities and what ever to sayville.they spent there money in town and then get on to fire island.they help support the unique town we have here especially very expensive exotic foods and wine in stock at all times.my wife loves to cook and loves this town.brook shields and numerous actors /actresses are here for a hour or so then leave.this conversation came up as a warning to sim because the beach is only marked with 3 green flags on the east side of sailers haven a family beach ,which by the way is a federal beach and has toilets,a place to eat and drygood store with facts of nature on sunken forrest.a nice plce to visit.there are benches with bar b que along side of dock for public. on east side of bayfront the water is 1 foot or less for little children to play as well as a playground and rockwall on dune area.there is a much larger beach closer to inlet called alantique about twice the docking area of sailer`s haven every and anything but this is owned by islip town so you will pay non resident fee.the ocean beach is 3/4mile wide as far as you can see both east and west.the bay side has eating facillity as well as toilets.both beaches have dockside water and electricity.nice place to enjoy any water sport--tubing,water sking, etc.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I don't like Atlantique that much. Very loud and I think SIM might end up wanting to kill his neighbors there.

Bob, you have to recognize a little humor (admittedly very little on my part) into your reading of some of these posts.

Dick Dean, the nude beach you are referring to is between Kismet and Field 5. I know what you mean about the standing up and walking around. I was walking to Kismet 2 weeks ago with some folks and we decided to walk the beach. These two dudes kept walking parallel to us, moving a head and then stopping and turning to face us as we approached. Finally I asked if there was a problem? They turned and walked back to their blankets/umbrellas. Severe passive aggresiveness going on there. However, I can't agree with you on the HIV to them all statement, that seems wacky to me.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Appreicate all the responces and Bob Thank You for the heads about going East, I forgot about all that. Kids will learn someday, but not now.

Capt Dick Dean, come on now, there is no need to wish bad on anyone...it's bad charma and it raises the blood pressure. Personally I don't care what others do in the privacy of closed doors or designated areas, just don't impose your persuasion, whatever it may be, on me and I'm fine with it.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Key West has taught me that what happens between closed doors is fine there. I then have the choice to join or not...

The assless chaps at the door handing out evening advertisements was a bit much with kids walking by, but hey, each to their own I guess...

D
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

The way I see it is that the "beach" is not behind closed doors.

Whereas being a Christian kinda' guy,
And whereas I am against all gay folks,
And whereas I am older than most and this gives me the right to
say whatever and I don't care what the Louisiana brotherhood
says, (they are not too fond of these people either),
And a couple of other things,
I, therefore, stand as to what was said.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. That's what UV has
said many times. So it must be good.
A/K/A El Gaupo
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

jspiezio i laugh at that atlantique comment . i bring my 31 into the harbor with the four grandchildren in the cockpit ready to run and play with grandma watching .i sit up on the bridge wishing i could dock in the center area where they are drinking rum and partying to all hours of the morning.hey i did that in my past now i have to behave because i have the little ones with me.sort of a devil sitting on my shoulder-- cmon bob
i happen to feel the same way as dick dean on the gay issue, sorry i just can`t be even the slightest open minded.however seeing jessica biel on the blanket with another star getting it on ---well i can be a little open minded if there women.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

You know what they say, you become the thing that you hate. Just sayin'....
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

7th special forces "death before dishonor" would sum that up
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Buju

Post by Buju »

Ummmm, lemme get this straight... A beach full up of naked women huh?
Oh the horror of it all.
But wait, you're saying they're all lesbians right? Hmmm.
So, lemme get this straight again, a beach full up of naked woman on woman action?
Jeeesus H Christ! I wouldn't mind stumblin upon that, so much....

BUT, then reality kicks in, annnd I realize the majority of 'em probably resemble Rosie O'Donnel w/ a mullet hairdo... and I then understand the
inherient problem.
UGH.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

dougl33 wrote: Nice.
Real nice when you have had family members pass away....
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

buju for the most part you are right but usually you can`t help but notice in the wine store or food shopping check out one is rosie all right but her girl friend is a magan fox knock off .usually whey to much showing and never a bra . town people do not food shop friday night in town .portabela mushroons will still be there saturday!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Buju

Post by Buju »

Yeah Bob, the portabello's might still be around...
But I'm bettin you have a hard time finding any bananas or cucumbers.

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I posted and deleted as this is not the place...but hate only leads to hate.

" Whereas being a Christian kinda' guy, "

My Sunday school class's taught us that Jesus said "love one another as I have loved you", I must have missed the part where he said it's okay to leave out certain groups, sinners or not.

No need to like or condone a group you completely disagree with, but to wish hateful things is just not right. Especially when there are so many Good People some of which do Very Good Things in that Group you wish ill upon. Add to that some may be family and friends of ours. I wouldn't wish ill upon a friend or family member of yours.

Might even be some people you know in that group...not all gays are open flamers.

I'll leave it at that.

Carl
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

sim this hold conversation went bonkers . my wife was a interior decorator and in her world almost all the fellow decorators men were gay for some reason gay men have a trait which lets them excell in that field.she likes them, they never hit on her or become a theat.they are exceptionally clean and neat and polite.like i said before fire island is not disney land most people really don`t want the rest of the world to know about it.even in there speach they refer to the rest of united states as the "main land" what a joke only 4 miles across. there is no class distintion at all Donald trump could be having a beer with a garbage truck driver.no roads,no cars, no addresses on the homes on the bay side and no public bath rooms (thats how they keep the public away!! )belive me i have worked there ,the prices to on any contruction are triple what you get on the mainland.like you said sim they are human and they are not all gay you really don`t know except the flames. a friend building a teak deck at calvin klein`s house was given lunch every day.they are incognito on fire island.here is robert redford in rip shorts and a tee shirt there is a ceo. of a major company dress down.you know if they have a house there or renting they have to be a millionaire but you would never know.nobody can dock a boat there unless they belong there.fire island pines has to be one of the best beaches in the world but you will never never see a photograph or mention of it .just think of the lenth of collins ave in miami with no building,no roads,no sign of any humans ever being there (they even planted poison ivy on the dunes to keep the dunes intact and prevent anybody walking on them)a truly beautiful beach as far as you can see east and west white sand and spotless clear water.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob,

It did go a bit off...

Fire Island is a gem, love the place. Not overly found of running the bay or the Horseflys at Watch Hill, but thats the price you pay.

I know it's all good people here and the actions do not always mimick the words...