sound proofing

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

killa

sound proofing

Post by killa »

Has anyone ever sprayed sound down in hull.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Effective engine soundproofing requires a dense barrier like lead, viz Soundown.

UV
scot

Post by scot »

Based on my research, there are (2) types of sound; air born and structural born.

For the air born: you should think of the sound as if it were a gas. Trap it, contain it, etc. Don't give it anywhere to escape the engine bay. Where it must escape (ventilation etc)...bend it. Make it go around corners. Air doesn't mind finding it's path but sound waves don't like to bend. Also anywhere the sound will "hit" the engine bay bulkheads should be insulated, if your after max sound control.

for the structural born, think adhesives, soft joints, etc. not hard surfaces and metal fastners. Thes sound can transfer through a screw, bolt, etc and into the structure.

If it's water slapping the hull, that's a personal preference. I like hearing the water slap the hull!

Are you just curious, or do you have 53 series Detroits?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
killa

sound proofing

Post by killa »

just trying to quiet eng noise (yans) with a bahia u r on top of motors unlike the sportfish I do get quiet time above but as u know it gets wet.DO u think just good eng box soundproofing is suf.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I have an Express with 440's, so I know it gets loud sitting over the motors.

I only did the compartment and hatches after years of putting it off. It did quiet the sound down a good amount, but I know it really needs more.
killa

Post by killa »

how did you do the hatches