how to get to wire on the fly bridge

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

coolair

how to get to wire on the fly bridge

Post by coolair »

Got a 69 FBC, just wondering whats the easiest way to get to the race for the wires going to the fly bridge, i have to run my transducer cable up and want to try and redo my power wiring and other stuff. By buddy said a panel comes off on the starboard side, figure i would ask before i started ripping stuff apart. oh, and is there any way to get behind the panel under the helm.
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

The panels on each side come off.. The pilaster.
Wayne
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I never had any luck getting mine apart as it appeared to be faired in in spots with gelcoat. I ran heavy gauge power cables up to a junction block that i epoxied to the inside of the bridge and run everything off of that. It freed up some space and gave me cleaner power. The only other wires are the instrument and transducer wires now.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
John F.

Post by John F. »

On my '69 FBC, the outside pillaster covers come right out, and that gives you great access. For the upper helm, on my boat that whole vertical panel below the gauges/wheel, etc., that has 3 access hatches/doors comes out with a few screws, and you have pretty good access to all your wiring.

John F.
scot

Post by scot »

I ran heavy gauge power cables up to a junction block that i epoxied to the inside of the bridge and run everything off of that.
That's the ticket, planning the same.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Actually there seems to be quite a bit of room in there. Its just a matter of snaking the wire up. If you have a wire coming out you can use that one as the snake.

If not its tough. I try and keep one loose wire in there so I can pull a new wire through.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Those little holes that the factory cut into the gunnel where the pillaster lands is the problem. If you are doing a complete rewire I would cut between them and make larger oval openings. If fishing only a new wire, you can't cut them without risking nicking a wire. I also ran heavy braided twine pull cords and tied them off under the bridge and in the engine compartment so it will be easier next time I need to add something.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31