Gauge question?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Gauge question?

Post by MarkS »

Was coming in at cruise the other night and just happened to glance at my gauges and found the starboard temp gauge pegged at 220! I then glanced at the oil pressure and it read 0! I quickly shut that engine off and pulled it back off plane. I lifted the dog house cover and put my hands on both engines and they felt identical in temperature. Checked the connections at both the temp and pressure sender and they were tight and clean. Threw spark back to it and the oil pressure popped right back to 40lbs.

I ran it the next night and the water temp gauge from the get go was pegged but the oil pressure was acurate and stayed that way throughout the night.

So, little wiring gremlins? Bad sender, loose conection at the gauge, other areas to look at? I have the mechanical ability to do a complete overhaul on these engines but when it comes to wiring, I suck! Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Mark
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Mark wrote:I have the mechanical ability to do a complete overhaul on these engines but when it comes to wiring, I suck!
I am right there with you on the electrical stuff Mark......not at all my strong point but that having been said this is what I think about the tempt problem.

If you remove and ground the tempt sending unit wire the gage should peg out to its maximum reading.
I would remove the wire from the temp sending unit.....I think the gage should go back to its lowest reading.....

If you remove the wire and the gage goes to its lowest reading then you ground the wire and the gage goes to its maximum reading then most likely you should replace the sending unit...

If you remove the wire from the sending unit and the gage remains at its maximum reading then I would think that the wire has a short to ground somewhere.

Generally speaking I have had more grounding problems (or lack grounding) than anything else.....

I would really like to know exactly how this works out for you.....I will be running the Cummins soon..

Harry
hb
chris pague

temp prob

Post by chris pague »

Mark What you have is ungrounded sending unit or a unit that has failed.
Run a test lead from the case of the sending unit to a good know ground.
If that is the prob check ground or swap sending unit before you spend the duckys for more sending units. Lose wire bonding system you need to look at and maybe even a battrey teminal.
Good Luck
Chris
I have found that life can be short. Hope I am not late?