Battery Charger

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Davidr0007

Battery Charger

Post by Davidr0007 »

What can anyone tell me about a battery chargers . I have one that I thought was working but my batteries have gone dead..What might I do to test the workings of my charger ? If it has gone south what might I expect to pay to have a new one installed ?
DavidR
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

First thing to check is that you are getting 120 vac to the unit, then check the 120 vac fuse, then check to see you are getting dc output. Lotta times the internal 120 vac fuse will blow under a big load, does on mine now & then. Guest makes a good multi-bank charger in various sizes, also check out the bass boat chargers, hi capacity and cheaper than the 'yacht' models.

UV
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Maybe the charger boiled all the water out of the battery?
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I looked at a new charger setup when I bought my boat, before determining that what was installed was working OK. West has several for anywhere from about $150 to over $800, depending on capacity and bells and whistles. I have an older 40 amp Xantrex "True Charge Plus" and so far am happy with it. This one has the ability to charge up to 3 different batteries independantly (as long as all three are the same type), and has several nice features such as overtemp and overload protection, 120v power on light, equalization, etc. West's price for mine is today $419. Especially if you already have a charger now, installing a new one is simple.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Capt.Frank

battery charger

Post by Capt.Frank »

I contacted Xantrex about servicing my true charge 30 and they told me that it was not servicable. They told me that as a repet customer they would sell me a new one at I think 40% off. So I did I up graded to a true charge 40 for less money than a new 30. Not a bad deal.

Frank
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have had a Trucharger for 5 years and I am pleased with it. I still have the same two Optima AGM batteries I put in with the charger!! So far no problem, but I will change them soon as a precaution.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31