Tred Barta

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Tred Barta

Post by Dug »

FYI. My friend Dean Travis Clarke posted this on his facebook page this morning. I pass it on as I know people here know him...

On his way to Alaska to tape his TV show, my dear friend Tred Barta suffered a rare occurrence called a spinal stroke. He is currently paralyzed from just below the chest down. Some medicos predict permanent paralysis others give him up to a 60-percent chance of partial recovery. Tred says, “Don’t take a single second of your life for granted.” Anyone who wishes to can contact him at tred.barta@bartaiso.com.

Wanted to pass this on for those who may wish to offer Tred their support. Love him or not, he is one who has much in common with most I know here. A love of life, life on the water, fishing and family. How he goes about it is his choice...

Good luck to Tred...he's in my thoughts.

Dug
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I know Tred. This is very sad to hear.
Harry Woods

Tred

Post by Harry Woods »

Tred owned a 31 Bertram Express back in the 80"s called HUMBART. The boat spent two-to-three days a week in the canyon. He boated a near world record Mako on that boat that was so big they needed a dragger to hoist it into the cockpit. He spent most of his life beating the odds. Let's hope he can do it again.
Harry
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

A really good guy. If you spent time around the fish docks of the east end of Long Island, at some point you ran into Tred. I just emailed him my wishes for a speedy recovery.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I caught my first tuna on Treds boat, and shared the dock at Oakland's with him for many years. Love him or hate him, you still have to feel bad about a thing like this. There are few people who have done more to get kids interested in fishing than Tred. I wish him nothing but good luck....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Googled this. If it was April 1 I would have believed; but this is hard to believe.
Spinal cord infarction is not common, but only fragmentary or indirect data are available on incidence or prevalence. A large study showed that only 9 of 3784 autopsies revealed spinal cord infarction, with a rate of occurrence of 0.23% at death. Conversely, if spinal stroke is approximately 1.2% of strokes, an overall annual incidence of 12 in 100,000 can be estimated.

Mortality/Morbidity

The risk to life and its quality from spinal cord infarction is substantial because of the disability, which can be severe, with paraplegia, risk of pulmonary emboli, and risk of infection (eg, bladder, lungs, decubiti). However, no epidemiologic studies are available because of the relatively small number of patients affected.

I sure hope he beats the odds.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Tred always makes me laugh when I see him. I remember his rather unique personal add several years back.
He made me think over a few of theings we were doing in the cockpit of the blackfin when tuna fishing, and the results were better fishing.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Very, very sad in anyone, but to someone like him, it's way beyond sad. We don't know all the facts on this yet, but he IS a fighter. I am sure we all wish him the best of care, and, as in fishing, the best of luck. If anyone can pull off a miracle, he can! Walter
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

Never met Tred but I know several people who knew him. I always enjoyed his articles in Sportfishing and I wish him all the luck in the world and if he is half the fighter I heard he is, he will hopefully overcome this tragedy.

Just a thought but rather than flood him with emails at this time, it might be better if we sent one big one from the crew at Bertram 31.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Spinal Stroke! Never even heard of it before!!! That is terrible. I wish him a speedy and complete recovery.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

I have a couple of updates. Dean posted 3 in a row for his status today so far...

"I will continue to keep in touch with him and will pass along news as warranted so as to not have EVERYONE contacting him all the time. He seems remarkably positive and upbeat this morning. Keep them in your thoughts and please live YOUR life as though this could happen to you tomorrow!"

"Tred and Anni seem to be taking turns being supportive and dejected. Fortunately, they seem to balance each other that way. He will soon be transferred to Craig Rehab Center in Denver. Craig is a non-profit freestanding hospital that has been rated every year in the Top Ten Rehabilitation Hospitals by US News and World Report since the ratings began eighteen years ago. www.craighospital.org"

"Just got off phone with Tred Barta and wife Anni. He had packed to travel to Alaska for a bear hunt for his TV show. Put his bag in his truck, Returned to house and then on way back to truck felt loss of feeling in his left leg. Decided to walk up mountainside behind house to make sure he could handle the rigors of hunting in Alaska before getting on plane. Condition worsened, so he immediately went to doctor."

Dug
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

seems like yesterday we connected with that big blue marlin in the dip of the canyon.tred photograph the whole episode from the mad hatter while a 31 bertram stole the show .( 12 boats saw the huge marlin feedind but would only bite on a lure from the 31 bertram ) tred made a big deal of it at the white water meeting (a local fishing club.)
capt.bob lico
bero13010473