CAT C7

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scot

CAT C7

Post by scot »

Is anyone runnning the CAT C7s? Have they been released yet? I was at the OTC today and that's a nice looking engine. Very compact, looked to be the same size as a 6B Cummins, maybe 300lbs heavier at 300hp. The C9 appeared to be very compact as well, up to 500hp, it weighs in around 2,000lbs in marine trim (make for a smooth ride, similar weight to the old 3208's))

Reps told me the C9 is extremely common engine, basically they put it in everything. Are these engines the moden version of 3116 & 3126?

Brand new C9 / 500hp on Ebay for 20K...what's up? That's an incredible price for 500hp of brand new CAT?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0385868585
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

scot we just test rode a pair of c-9 in a 35' albemarle .smokeless commonrail push that baby 30knots.i love those engines do you want pictures ?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

should read c-7 in my post. also drove c-12 in 40' cabo convertible just as smooth with a very hard 300 hours
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
scot

Post by scot »

Bob,
I would love to have some pictures of the installation.
Scot
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Scot: From the boatdiesel.com forum:

The C-7 shares exactly the same bore, the same stroke, the same base engine design ( parent bore and general overall design), general block dimensions, and is a direct derivative / upgrade from the 3126 which was derived from the 3116.. The C-7 replaces the 3126 and was built specifically to do that in both marine, on-highway and off highway applications------Maybe a sibling or "first born" would be more appropriate??

As to the C-9--Yes, this is a new engine from CAT-- wet sleeves, etc , (a total departure form the C-7 design) and about the only thing it shares with the C-7 is the CAT name and the paint...

Eddy G.
scot

Post by scot »

Thanks Eddie,

I'm a BD member and will read up on the engines via the post...that's a good way to determine owner satisfaction and common problems.
Scot
scot

Post by scot »

Doing a little research to satisfy my addictive curiousity, the C9 is really impressive in power vs size. The engine is "basically" the size of a 6B Cummins. 500-700lbs heavier at 1800-2000lbs (about the same weight as the 3208)and the C9 ACERT is rated at 575hp @ 2500 rpm. All the latest stuff, common rail, electronic, tier II, etc.

If these engines will live awhile with a decent reputation, I think CAT has a winner in this one. I know I was shocked standing next to one when I found out it was 575hp!

BTW..the one listed on Ebay is the "D" series at 510hp. Actually the CAT folks told me the ACERT 575hp has a 2 year warranty and the 510hp has a 1 year warranty...the D is rated commercial.
Scot
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

truly the state of the art. i will take the 35' for a ride saturday for the customer and photograph engine compartment.what you did not mention is that it is also super fuel enconomy for that power.cat really put it together on the this one.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Bob,
CAT has done a awsome job with these new motors. I fished on a old (91) 52'Paul Mann w/twin C-13 1450 hp and cruised @30 knt at 31GPH. I could not beleive that fuel burn was both engines. Awsome compaired to the old DD burning that per engine before they redid the boat. Just awsome hope the C-9 holds up.
Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

Frank:

I can't believe that boat really only burned 31 gph at 30 knots. The math says that at WOT a pair of them would burn in the neighborhood of 145 gph.

JB
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

scot here is the cat c-9 installation 575 hp 35' " albe" cruise 31 knots .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

a look at the twins
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
scot

Post by scot »

Thanks Bob,

Do you recall the rpm that recorded the 31kt cruise?

One item that jumps out at me is the low AR on turbo induction side...very small, because the turbo is wet, the AR on the exhaust side is would appear to be small as well. Basically the turbo "appears" to be very small considering 538 cu in & 575 hp...technology.

I wonder if there are position variations in turbo installation?

The short installation length comes by placing the exchanger on the side of the block, neat. Aside from length, the front of an engine (crank CL to vertical) typically creates installation clearance problems.

Thanks again for the photos.
Scot
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

John,
I didn't beleive him either but the display showed 30.something GPH and he told me that was both motors. He said that since the redo the boats efficency was awsome. I still don't believe thats both engines but thats what he said.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I need to see these for myself.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

scot the albe runs at 2600 rpm.i have no concrete facts but i can say this; this boat and a 35' luhrs ran to a wreck out east about 35 miles they both fuel up at our fuel dock and took on aboit the same (within 2 gallons)the luhrs has big block yanmars 480hp and albe has cat 575 hp .luhrs runs about 25 knots and albie run 31 knots .i don`t know weight differance if any but you can see the inpressive fuel economy.incidently i want to clarify something .there are some on this board who would hold you to the letter of the law! we use the word common rail engine loosely to mean electroniclly fuel injected.this is not the case with cat they have a hydralic control . unique and very popular in there heavy trucks, time tested .scot there are position variation in mounting the turbo.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

Thanks Frank.

I'll bet you're right and that was for one motor. Still pretty good efficiency even at that flow.

JB