Anchoring in the keys

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

Anchoring in the keys

Post by Kevin »

The old Danforth just does not seem to cut it around here unless there is less than 5- 10 knots of wind.
I priced out a 22lb manganese steel Delta plow achor at Worst and it would cost me about $148. I am figuring about 25 feet of chain.

Does this sound about right to you guys? Weight, chain length and cost of anchor.

My biggest concern is will it hold on the hard bottom and does manganese steel rust as bad as a galvanized trailer.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Kevin-I don't know your bottom, but have you considered using a grappling hook type anchor. A lot of fishermen our here who fish for Blackfish use them because the fish habitate very rocky areas. The anchors are light, inexpensive and if hung up, a power pull seems to straighten out a tine or two, that can be bent back to working order. Just a suggestion.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Kevin,

Are you anchoring in sand? How deep usually? What is the bottom that you are contending with?

I really like the Fortress aluminum danforth style, and I think it beats the normal danforth in steel. Plus it is light. But that doesn't work well in deeper water at all.

If you have a real hard mud, I think the plow might be the best answer, though what Walter speaks of for rock is right on the money.

You might be able to do better on ebay or a marine consigment shop down in Southern florida, no?
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

Kevin:

I've used nothing but a Bruce for years and they are simply great. Is this for your 28? I have an older one here you can have if you want to try it.

JB
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I guess I anchor in several bottom types . First is the good old sandbar. No problems there.
Last week it was blowing 20-25 but had lots of company here. took them out anyways for little cruise and anchored in front of Sombrero beach since it was somewhat sheltered. about 5-8 feet deep and lots of sea grass and hard bottom mix. 80 feet of rhode and 7 for the chain. I know the chain is too short but it was ridiculous. I guess thats what happens when you are a fair weather boater.

Today I met the steward of "Lucky Lady" in my canal system near where I hit bottom. He said he has never hit anything and it is right were he spins around. I also noticed that he has the Delta plow style anchor but did not notice until returning to the dock.
hubris 1

Post by hubris 1 »

I dont know shiiiii# but I think, More chain, heavy weight, lay it flat. It aint the anchor in my opinion. And make sure the anchor line isnt to big either. I first had 5/8 samson for my boat. Well that stuff floated like a life vest. No anchor would ever find bottom with a line that had a date in 5 minutes and wasnt gonna be late. Today, I pull trees out with my truck and that 5/8 line. I could have been the Marlboro man. LOL!
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

Kevin:

Call me, I have two different anchors you can try: 305-481-4665.

JB
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

More chain, Kevin, more chain.
When I was living on my sailboat in FL I had a Danforth and fifty feet of chain then 5/8 line. In anything but the worst blow the anchor rarely bit but that fifty feet did the job. It keeps the pull flat on the bottom instead of up the rode, regardless of the scope.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Its all about the chain
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I agree, more chain will probably fix the issue. I may start with buying a 30 shot of chain. With what little knowledge I have of chain should I buy the G3 or the G4(HI Test)? I would love that shiney stainless stuff but holy molly way too expensive for 30 feet.
JB, left you voicemail....going fishin today!
Captn Bruce

Anchoring

Post by Captn Bruce »

Kevin,

I have the 22# Delta with 30' of 5/16"BBB chain and 1/2" rode. For the last 6 years it has been an excellent choice. It has hung up in rocks about three times but I have been able to get it out each time without loosing the ground tackle.

Increasing your chain length will certainly improve the performance of any anchor.

Corrosion has not been an issue.

Bruce D.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Kevin, just spent the weekend in Islamorada and did alot of diving off crocker, 22#bruce with 20' of chain worked great in the sand, bill
Bill