Whistlin' Tahoe?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Whistlin' Tahoe?

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

My old 97 Tahoe with a 350 V8 is making a whistling sound that's coming from under the truck on the driver's side. Does not vary with rpm. Loud, but not shrill. Not related to the a/c. Gas cap is on tight.

Thoughts, Faithful??

UV
Ken Hudson

Post by Ken Hudson »

UV,

Put a vacuum gauge on the moter and at least it will help to isolate that part of things.

If it's automatic, does it shift O.K.? I was thinking of a vacuum line to the trans. modulator.

Ken
In Memory of Vicroy

Ken - its auto and shifts fine. I was thinking vacuum too, but it does not vary with rpm or load.....someone suggested the fuel pump or something in the in line fuel filter???

UV
Ken Hudson

Post by Ken Hudson »

The fuel pump is in the tank. When mine was on the way out it sounded more like something hydraulic running rather than a whistling sound. It would also continue to run after you turned the key off. I guess it was still trying to build correct pressure. That pump, from a dealer, is about a $500 part.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Vic, mine is chirping. I am going to spray everything with CX. Walter
Harv

Post by Harv »

UV,

I had the same problem in my 89 Land Yacht.
After thinking it was the pump in the fuel tank, and replacing said tank, the whistle was still there. It turned out to be a coffee can sized filter under the chassis on the driver's side.
Harv
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks Harv - I'll crawl under there tomorrow....what does the filter do? and how hard is it to change?

A $500 pump is worth about as much as the old truck, even tho it only has about 75K miles on it.

UV
matt

Post by matt »

my buddy put his loaded 30-30 in the back of my tahoe after hunting last year. threw his boots in and put a slug through the side panel-it now whistles
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Vic,
I assume it only does it when car is running and not just KEY ON.
Vacuum would change with RPM and I would think that the sound would change also if that were the problem. You got any more signs or symptoms you can give us. My buddy is a mechanic and he owns a 98 Tahoe. He said there are a few things it could be but needs more to go on.
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Different noise but same location for me.

On an 2003 Avalanche it was a pump of some sort for the anti lock braking system. Started making a bunch of racket, finaly just unplugged it.

Brakes work great,just no antilock feature.

My 2000 Tahoe has started making the same whinning noise. Still tolerable so I haven't unplugged it yet.

I'll betcha an Abita it's the same problem.

Ray
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

My 2000 Z-71 started that at around 85k miles. Buddies all claimed it was the fuel pump and that sucker was fix-n to go out.

Traded the truck in when the a/c went out at 186K. Still running the original fuel pump.

My solution in the meantime - turn up the music.

Your milage may vary.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Vicroy wrote:Thanks Harv - I'll crawl under there tomorrow....what does the filter do? and how hard is it to change?

A $500 pump is worth about as much as the old truck, even tho it only has about 75K miles on it.

UV
To the best of my recollection, it was just an empty can the size of a standard coffee can. It wasn't that much coin to replace. A coupl;e of screws on the chassis bracket and a couple of pressure release hose clamps......you know, the type you squeeze with a plier to put on and take off.
Harv
Ken Hudson

Post by Ken Hudson »

Vic

Have you found it?

I would really like to know.

Are you certain that it is on the driver's side? Noise travels. I have an alternater that has been making a noise like a whistle for 20K miles. I can't tell if it gets worse with rpm because of road noise/my poor hearing.

I have a 98 Sierra,same engine. About 60k is when my fuel pump started getting noisy. It went another 20K. Of course it hung on until a really snowy day when I had to have the truck to pack it in.

Does the sound change with the level of fuel in the tank? Down side of that test is to have to pull the tank with a bunch of gas.

On a pickup it it is easier to lift the bed if there is a fairly full tank. I realize that is not an option with a Tahoe.

Ken
In Memory of Vicroy

No luck yet....could not see Harv's coffee can or anything else underneath that was making noise....the noise sorta comes and goes. I drive the Tahoe at most 50 miles a month so the tank is always full.

Think I'll take Hyena Boy's advice and forget about it. Too hot in Coonassland to be working outside anyway.

UV