amuh60

2002(300hrs) TAMD 63P?

Post by amuh60 »

Good or Bad engines?

thanks

ANDY
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Vulvas are all bad, bad, bad. Run, don't walk.

UV
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Andy

I am sure Bruce will jump in and provide the best advice. Don't know much about all the differant models of Volvos, other than they can be expensive when it comes to parts. I have friends with Volvos in their boats and they really like them until they have to buy parts.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The TAMD series is not an engine I would recommend.

I had renewed faith in Volvo with the D series and used them in repowers until it seems the computers are failing just outside the warrantee period.

Don't know why they are failing and until I can find out don't know wether its design, application, electrical or other issue.

At over 3k for just the computer, thats expensive besides leaving you stranded.

Parts are probably the most expensive of any marine engine maker.

It all depends what your paying for the package.
hubris 1

Post by hubris 1 »

Alright, Im trying to buy a new boat right now. [used] I read so many things, dont buy this engine, dont buy that engine..............What is the engine to buy? One of the reasons I dont want to buy a really big boat is I cant afdford to re-power a boat with 125,000 or worse. At my age it just aint worth the aggggg. Anyway, the boat I am trying to buy has volvos. Taken care of, look beautiful but, if all else fails, I can afford to repower this boat with new engines. Personally I dont think there is a perfect engine, is there? maybe just good luck and bad. Bruce, would your choice be yanmar? Cummins? Please chime back in. If the boat I buy blows up the engine, Im ok with that as long as I can move forward. thanks
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Hubris- The Cummins-Yanmar discussion could go on and on. The key really is, who will give you the best service in your area. I am disappointed in Bruce's comment on the Volvo D-series computers as I was really impressed by that series of engines. Personally, I am spooked by computerized diesels, but maybe that's just a matter of my age. Salt air and computers (which I can't fix) haven't had enough of the test of time for me yet. Walter
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I've owned and/or been around every kind of diesel over a long lifetime. My view remains that in the 210-330 hp range the Cummins 6B engine is far superior - in every respect - to all others. I owned a pair of Volvo TAMDs and they are pure garbage.

UV
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I've got to say that those 260 hp 3208s have been humming along for several thousand hours since 1981 . Mechanic thinks if they are kept up like they have been then there are several thousand more hours left in them. I can not complain about those engines at all, never a heartache.
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

Hubris- I am currently going to take a leap and go look at a boat with these 2002 TAMD 63P (300HRS AND 370HP)! I have been around boats with Detroit 71series, Cummins 6bta, perkins, yanmar, rolls royce. But I am definitely not close to any TYPE of expert. I can change oil, filters and few other regular maintenance items. Our local cummins/volvo/cat diesel heavy equipment rep/moonlighter/fix and rebuild about anything to do with a diesel gave me his OPINION! This is based on our land equipment. He worked at CAT for 8 years exclusively and now has steered us clear of any new cat front loaders. We have 2 loaders that have the VOLVO 70series engines and running strong at 5000hours(no rebuilds). He said stay away from the TAMD 40series but in his OPINION the 60 and 70 series were some of the best engines ever built by volvo. We were going to put CATs in a 53 sportfish hatteras being rebuilt and he talked us into the Cummins QSM 11s. We also re-powered an old natural 210 cummins with a 315 Yanmar and were very happy with it. I know this doesn't help but I have also been getting mixed OPINIONs but definitely am leaning towards the opinions of men who work on these engines everyday.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

If you go by useable hours vs repairs hands down based on my experience repairing and servicing diesels for 30 years its got to be the 350 hp and under 3208 cats.

I used to build well drilling rigs in Tulsa for Crane Carrier.

The 3208 was used extensivly. Saw many with 25,000 plus hours that ran 24/7.

I've also seen numerous applications in marine where 15,000 + hours, no major repairs, good maintenance and were still running.

There's one local dive service that uses the 3208, pulls em when they reach 20,000 hours and always has a pair of used 5,000 hour engines to put back in.

You can never go wrong with a pair of cummins 6bta's for general use in marine.
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

I was definitely not talking about the legendary older CAT engines (3208). We have the same familiar stories about our 30 year old CAT equipment. Was and may still be cream of the crop but they definitely have the prices of cream of the crop. That used to be about all we bought. I am talking about the present day CAT company. Seems to be a little more expensive and not as good as the rest of the pack is putting out. Just an opinion from I guy who doesn't know ANYTHING! Like I said above I am going to listen to guys like BRUCE. Bruce I definitely trust you about the Volvos it's just that the boat is for a PRICE that I have to at least go "check it out".

ANDY
hubris 1

Post by hubris 1 »

I agree, the 3208 was hard to beat. Today i dont think cat has as good a reputation with some of their engines. 3116, c-12, 3196........ I mean if you have these in a boat, the boat is virtually unsellable. I too am trying to buy a boat with volvo's. Only because it seemed to be the engine of choice with the boat when it was built in 1997. tamd72edc, what ever that means. Anyway, like I said, if the boat today needed to be re-powered I would go with yanmar, or cummins, and Im sure horror stories exist about almost all anymore. When they go bad, they sure know how to really go about it. BOOM! Also I hear guys say they hate the high rpm's of yanmar. well you got to go with something. And like I said, one of the reasons Im not willing to go to a 38 ft boat, I dont want to pay 125 or more to re-power it should they go BOOOOOM!
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I don't like the computers either. The Yanmars in the 31 at Elite are some of the last of the mechanical ones that Mastry had. I don't feel comfortable with computers on diesels yet.
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

One of the great things about the newer power is less weight and more compact. This engine room with 1271s is much more crowded. and about 2500lbs heavier.

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

nobody can claim fame to a single manufacturer. no arguments- mtu is the best 1200hp and above .all of the man engines are fragile but if you maintain them like a watch there powerfull for size. at 710 hp the best of cat is the c-9 . at 535 hp nothing is better than cummins . at 400 hp there is luger, john deere, . at 300 to 350 hp 3126 cat and cummins 6bta. the big block yammar at 370 hp should also be considered be sure to take off alluminum water pump bracket and replace before installation .remember bob`s word if any body tells you there engine is lighter-immediatly kick him in the balls!!!.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
hubris 1

Post by hubris 1 »

bob lico wrote:nobody can claim fame to a single manufacturer. no arguments- mtu is the best 1200hp and above .all of the man engines are fragile but if you maintain them like a watch there powerfull for size. at 710 hp the best of cat is the c-9 . at 535 hp nothing is better than cummins . at 400 hp there is luger, john deere, . at 300 to 350 hp 3126 cat and cummins 6bta. the big block yammar at 370 hp should also be considered be sure to take off alluminum water pump bracket and replace before installation .remember bob`s word if any body tells you there engine is lighter-immediatly kick him in the balls!!!.
Love this post. I think I have to agree, I just could never put it in words. But you did.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

hubris 1 the idea came to my head in a strange way. i was watching a documentary on ww2 . the battle of truks island in the pacific. 130 japanese planes were put up to stop the american hellcats off carier essex . 3every single plane was shot down 8 hellcats went down by ground fire.the hellcat got behind the jap plane and let a burst of 50 cal.penetrate the plane and the pilots back (must of hurt like a bitch) .the japs figure they could save 50 pounds by eliminating the armor plate in back of pilots.the hellcats had armor and could bail out .they never learned a lesson.diesel longivity is due to heat dissapation thus 3208 /cummins. why would you use a fan belt ? (last production 1983 era) to save 6 pounds over a CONSTANT ADJUSTMENT serpintine belt . thank god they don`t make parachutes!!! 1985 buick v-6 rubber timming belt another 10 pounds savings over a steel gear set up like the entire rest of the world diesels.how about injecting salt water and sulfur (from combustion) into the alluminum exhaust sprinkler elbow. oh i am sure that will last 25,000 hours !!!!.a cat uses s bronze/everdor. that is why you kick him he just insulted your mother.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473