28 bertram questions

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Major

28 bertram questions

Post by Major »

Do any of you see the point in having the lower steering station on a 28 bertram? Im thinking hard about doing away with it in a rebuild but just want to check if there was any reason to have it there.

Also ive thought about re-enforcing the transom in order to make a door to get to a swim platform. Everything ive read says this is a big deal. Lets just say i was going to try it anyway. What are the best steps to do it right on my own? Is there anything i should be on the lookout for? I think the biggest issue will be strengthening the transom after cutting in the gap.

Another project i thought about taking on is a side window and windshield replacement. I would prefer to use the method seen here on the 31's for the sides but will have so do some more thinking on the front windshield. Right now we have the boat stripped of most everything. I like the ability to let fresh air in but dont see a good clean way to wwork that in. From what we have read the flip out bottoms on the front tend to leak so i was planning on just using a single panel to replace it and the upper glass. That means ill have to work on a strong fiberglass design to hold the panels in place.

Do any of you have any pictures of some customised bertrams either 31 or 28 that you can share? Id like to get some ideas and hear what works and what doesnt.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have a 31 with a lower station. I find it invaluable when working on my engines or starting them up and warming them on a rainy day, etc. I can check the idle, pressures, temperatures etc. without having to climb up and down all the time, especially since the bridge ladder has to be connected to a closed engine box. Although I haven't run it from there, I have found sometimes making drift adjustments from the cockpit easier on my legs. Walter
matt

Post by matt »

I have removed my lower station and am doing/contmplating the same issues. I have some photos posted on bateau2.com go to forums and then builder galleries. Just put the flybridge back on and will use the existing windows as templates for the frp replacements. I would love to hear some of your ideas so let me know.
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

I guess it all depends where you live. I bought a 28 without a lower station, and I'm redoing the interior like a Caribbean so I can put one in. I can't imagine being in the PNW without one. On a perfect day, the flybridge is the greatest place to be, bar none. But I'm out in way too many cold, nasty, stormy days not to have a lower station.

My 26 has a lower station and I use it probably 50% of the time.

Cheers!

John
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Ditto Walter's comments.

Tommy
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I would think if its there and works leave it.
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

i dont have one and entertained the idea of getting one to install. So if you do decide to remove it let me know maybe we can work something out thanks.
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

I have and continue to do google, boattrader, and yachtworld searches to see how other Bertram 28 boats are set up.

I've gotten a few ideas - just from looking at pictures...
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
cmccool

Post by cmccool »

The problem with the lower helm station in the flybridge boats is that you have to be anorexic to use it. Not very comfortable for me at 250 pounds but I certainly agree that it has value. Would not want to remove it from my boat.

Due to hip arthritis, I am converting my 28 flybridge to an express and adding a new full helm in the cockpit. No more climbing ladders and hanging on for dear life.

For the interior, I removed the silly bulkhead behind the interior helm as well as the bench seat / table set up. I am adding a regular helm chair for the steering station and transplanting the bench seat from my flybridge to the interior. It fits perfectly in behind that helm chair. Gives me good seating for 4 people and the lack of a table doesn't bother me in the least. The bench sits sideways but will generally only be used at the dock or anchor so I am not too worried about that.

I will have two helm chairs on top of my engine hatches in the cockpit and that is where I will be running from most of the time. Will have a hardtop and full enclosure over the engine portion of the cockpit with the back 6 feet of the cockpit open for fishing.

Cliff
Major

Post by Major »

Thanks for the comments so far. We have all the parts to make the lower station operational but just havent decided to follow through with the origional plan yet. Yall make a good point on the maint. situation and i see where that would be helpful. For storms though i thought it would be better to be up top where you could see more. We were going to add AC/heater so temp isnt AS much of an issue.

Another side issue relating to the lower station is that ive read the 28 rides kind of wet. So i even considered adding a somewhat small flare to the top 6-12" of the hull to try to help with this but i dont think i have the skills to make it look good and it adds a couple issues. One is the bow rail would be too far in and if you did mount it out there would be a serious weak point i would think and pretty much negate any safety it provides. No bow rails looks nice but i think they are useful at times.

Depending on how you made the interior i think a curved door to the head like is on one of the 31's here would be nice and give some extra room. I cant find the boat now that i dont have the picture anymore though.

We havent had the boat in the water since we bought it (project boat) since we had some big issues with the boatyard and were screwed on alot of the work and parts. Basically everything they did was either halfway or didnt work at all. We even have two diesel engines bought from the yard that we cant install because they didnt raise the deck high enough. I take that back they did install them but the hatch was touching the top of the engine while it was turned off. So we are going in blind on some of the changes to make. Most of the ideas ive gathered and come up with are from reading other peoples experiences with the boat. Im trying to take my time and really work through the options. On that note do any of you know any good boatyards around the South Carolina for when we get to that stage? We have a trailer for the boat and Myrtle Beach or Georgetown are the "close" spots.

On the upside one thing i have already done is to cut into the side of the boat to install a side exhaust vs the factory rear. That was done in effort to help with the diesel exhaust. Hopefully ill get to see them work at some point.

These are all just ideas so feel free to shoot me down if it looks or sounds like its a little much or simply work how i think it will. Im all for constructive criticism. Right now since nothing is going on with it and i have a pretty clean slate i would like to get some plans nailed down so i can work through them in the right order.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Forget the bow flare. The 28 runs dryer than the 31. Walter
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

In my opinion any wind over 15 knots and you will get pretty wet. I think the ride can be uncomfortable too. Working on the water for a career I tend to pick and choose my days to go out in the 28. I do not fish that much so it is not too big a deal for me to stay close to shore. I guess I am a fair weather boater. I do have rails the length of my boat but can not fairly compare them to a boat with out them because I have only been on mine. My rails are problematic when the boat gets slung. I sealed them since they leaked at a few studs and when it was brought to the show they used a travel lift and I am assuming the operator did not block the slings and broke the epoxy that I painstakinly poured into seal them. For that matter I am embarassed to say I have never been on a 31 for a ride comparison! I guess something else to consider with a lower station is there are more wires, controls, cables and so forth. More to repair and maintain. I would think visblility from down there would be lousy...but nice and dry if things got nasty. Lower in the boat you should not feel the roll of the 28 as bad and believe me they roll a lot with that 23 degree deadrise unless you are underway. Best of luck with the project.
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

I've had my 28 out in the Gulf of Mexico in some pretty miserable stuff. 20 and 25 knot winds and 8- 10 foot swells. It wasn't fun, but the only time I'd get a little wet is when the wind would catch the wake and throw it up on me on the bridge.

It will roll on you if you are in a trough and have the hook out, but I've been able to get her back in some pretty rough stuff without getting too wet.

I can't say that about the 28 I had in Alaska running in the Gulf of Alaska. It is a totally different pattern there. Waves come at you in 3 different directions and you can be in 15 foot seas in no time and looking for a cove to hide in.

Mine is an 83 with 300 HP gassers. BTW, my 28 in Alaska had a lower helm and I used it about 75% of the time.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Bill G.

lower station

Post by Bill G. »

I have a 28 with and ditto on the running the engines and ckg gauges,I had a shift cable snap last year[thought it would make it till the and of the season thought wrong]on the bridge controls so having the back up made it alot easier getting back to the dock. Bill G.
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

I agree that the stock lower helm on the 28 is claustrophoblic. Here's a couple of pics:

and

Not only is there not much room, but you have to fold down the dinette and sit on the formica. Not too great in a storm...

Here is the way International Marine did their Caribbeans:

and

By moving the galley from port to starboard you have more space for a proper helm, and you open up the floor space:

I'm currently thinking about a longitudinal couch with drawers/storage in front of the head on the port side, and I would also like to have the curved door (a la the 28' Bahia Mar).

BTW, here is how Bertram did it on the 26':

and

The seat folds back and takes up all the counter up to the sink. I don't mind, because if the weather is bad enough to use the lower helm, I won't be slicing onions while I'm underway!

I bought a stock 28' lower helm and had it shipped out here, but after I looked at it I decided the Caribbean way was the way to go. The other problem with the factory install (for me) was the large fiberglass cover that gets placed on the berth side of the bulkhead for the wiring and cables. While I was test-fitting I realized I wanted better access.

Cheers!

John
Harv

Post by Harv »

Brewster Minton wrote:I would think if its there and works leave it.
You're like me.......we only have lower stations!!!
Harv
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

My B28 originally had a lower station. The previous owner removed it and it was one of the things that turned me on to the boat. The lower helm was removed and the bulkhead between the V-birth and rear cabin was cut open to have a half wall... opening up the V-birth to the rest of the cabin. This makes the V-birth less of a dungeon and brings in lots of natural light down below. The skinny lower helm area was refinished with a shelf and it's where we drop our dry bags, towels and other bulky items when going on weekenders or fishing trips.

The B28 came with and without lower helms. If a B28 didn't have a lower helm, a short but wide locker was placed behind the dinette across from the skinny locker. This short/wide locker was the typical location of air conditioner if one was installed. I have contemplating adding air conditioning, but rarely do weekenders and down here in S. FL Oct - May is pretty darn nice sleeping weather.

As for getting wet, My bridge has a full isinglass canvas and I keep pretty dry up there in all kinds of weather. Only time I get wet is in a following wind when it's raining. If you're heading into a pretty good blow, I'll get some spray through the center canvas when open... You can close it to stay dry, but in the FL heat it will get stuffy with no wind blowing through.

One point of note. If you remove the lower helm and your temp/oil and other sending units on engines were set up for dual stations, you'll need to replace them or install resisters to retard the signal as they are geared to supply amplitude to support two sets of guages.

Paul J.
1973 B28 - "PALADIN"
Major

Post by Major »

The openness of the caribean versions of the 28 kind of sparked my intrest in losing the lower station. Yall do make allot of good points for keeping it though. If i keep the lower station i goess that means i should go with a say 20-35% tint on the windows. We do have a searchlight to help if the glass was a little for dark for night use. I think my car has 20% on all the back windows and its pretty useable at night but then again im not looking out for floating palm trees, rope or any other hard to see debris when im driving my car backwards.

I think the caribean besign for the lower station is defiantly the way to go if you keep it. Im pretty skinny and i dont think i would be comfortable in the factory setup.

I havent noticed many life rafts on peoples boats. The bow seemed like a good location for the hard case but with the lower station i can imagine that would make a nice large blind spot. So to those of you who use them where are they kept?

While looking over pictures from all around about 28's ive seen allot of different engine arangements. Two of which i didnt know existed. One of those is a pair of inboard outboards. That definatly must not have been the fishing version. I really dont see the use in that with this boat. The other was mainly a hatch difference and really looks pretty good i think. Its hard to tell if it was a custom job or not but the two do look like they work differently. The picture with the blue carpet deck has two hinges on the bottom where the top pictures have it glassed in.

I dont know who these belong to but found them as boats for sale out of the country.

This is the caribean without the lower station. How unbalanced do yall think it would look with the station on the right side but the cutout on the left? This photo is from Gameboats.

Can some of you give me some feedback on how the ride really is with this boat in different conditions? I know it wont be stable like a flat bottom hull but ive been beat enough out fishing in a Parker and a Grady white i think it was. I dont think too fast for conditions ever clicked with the guy with the Grady White. Sitting wasnt an option in that boat when it was underway in bad conditions.

Sorry for the ADD like posts but i have a good many questions as you can see.
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

The cutout feature of the forward bulkhead in the Caribbean was from the last version of the Bertram 28, around 1991-92. If you go to Al Grover's website, Oppie Five II is for sale and has pictures of the interior. They should have been taken with a wide angle, but at least you can get an idea of what the cutout on the port side looks like. Oppie has the standard hanging locker to starboard.

The last generation was definitely the best, IMO. I drove to NC to pick up a flybridge from one; much improved design.

BTW, Oppie Five was at Grover's when I bought my boat. Not for sale, but she was so pretty I took dozens of pictures of her for inspiration.

Cheers!

John
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

My 1973 B28 was modified just like the picture above for the bulkhead behind the dinette where the lower station was. Still have the small locker on the galley side. Really like the more open look and the natural light in the v-berth.
Major

Post by Major »

Ive seen some pictures of a flybridge with a bench on one side. Is that a factory upgrade with the most recent model? Looks like it may be a good addition regardless. Did the insturment panel change at all? I thought i remembered that looking larger on that same picture i saw with the seat.

What do yall think about those hatch covers on the last set of pictures i posted? Was that a factory option or a custom job? Seems like it would be allot of work so i dont think i would take that on just yet but im still out as to if it would be beneficial at all.

It looks like some of you have mounted generators in the engine compartment. How did you get it in there without pulling the motors? Also what size or model did you go with?

I like the open look of the interior in the caribean and the last model bertram made it seems. I may have to get creative and try to keep the lower helm since it seems to get more use than i thought. Maybe i can come up with a way to use that space normally but still be able to convert it to a second station in a couple mins. if we needed it.

What do yall think about the windshield issue. Would you prefer two large panes of glass or keep the factory 4 with the vents in the bottom. Im sure the factory windows will leak unless i can find some new seals though. Whats the consensus on tint as well?

Can anyone tell me some details of the handling of the 28? Sounds like the hulls shape is both its strength and weakness. Have any of you done tests with outriggers in and out to see what the difference was in rocking stationary or just moving while underway?

Thanks for all the help,

Major
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Down here in the keys the seas can really stack up and get confused. Everyone in the cockpit said it rides great. I think it rides ok up top. It can be wet at times but it is a boat afterall. Now it handles well when docking. It is very responsive.
Not sure what you mean about the out riggers. Its not a shrimp boat if thats what you mean.
Interior wise I can post pictures if you want. I have the Kevin Custom open floor plan. Lots of floor space and smaller than normal AC will send you looking for a blanket. I just kind of built it as I went. Made sure to waste no space.
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

I was fortunate enough to find a later model B28 with a lot of the features you guys are talking about. Here are a few pics that I have.
Eddy G.
Major

Post by Major »

Eddy G: Thanks for the pictures and great looking boat you have there. I really like some of the small details that your model boat has vs the one we have. That flybridge insturment panel is much larger than the one on the model we have. I also like the compass position. The bench seat up there is definatly doable as a project. How awkward is it getting past it to the other seats?

Kevin: I think you caught my drift right on the outriggers with the shrimp boat comment. I was getting at with the riggers out if they were the heavier models would it make much difference in roll. I guess they would be so little and light compared to what the commercial boats use its a nonissue. Thanks for the info on the ride and docking. If you have the pictures handy i wouldnt mind seeing what you've done to the interior.
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

Eddy G wrote:I was fortunate enough to find a later model B28 with a lot of the features you guys are talking about. Here are a few pics that I have.
Eddy G.
Gosh Eddie, what a beautiful boat!

You have what I believe is the penultimate model with the final flybridge and interior bulkhead but still the 1983 and up cabinetry, and the original top cap or deck. Here's the last version of the interior, with maple veneers and solid surface counters:

The really different change was to the top cap. If you look at the following picture, you'll see that instead of the one level with fore and aft facing vents, the rear of the cap is raised and the vents are in the outer sides, and that the cap at the stern is quite a bit higher than the rub rail. I've only seen two boats with this change and they were at the end of the production run. They also came with nice cockpit panels...

Here's a pic of my rig towing the flybridge back from NC last year. At a truck stop in New Mexico a guy in an RV asked me "what kind of boat is that? Is she fast?" Not what kind of boat does that bridge fit on, but what kind of boat??!!! Apparently he and his wife had followed us for miles arguing if it was better suited for lakes or rivers.

Now I just gotta figure out how to lift it 14 feet in the air...

BTW, can you tell me when your boat was built? Eventually, I'd like to be able to figure out when all the production changes were made. You've sure done a beautiful job on her.

Cheers!

John
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Thanks guys for the kind words. I have had the boat since 1999 and like it more and more each year. I keep the boat about an hour from home and stay on it about 40 weekends a year.

Major: The bench is not in the way at all. It also has a lot of storage inside of it. The flybridge on the later models may be a little wider than the older ones. If you notice, the grab rails are on the side of the flybridge. The older ones have a much wider ledge and the grab rail is standing up on it. Could make an couple of inch difference on each side.

John, mine is a 1990 model. It seems the flybridge and dash changed about that year or maybe 1989. As for the raised gunnel in the cockpit, Bertram started that in the early 80's. The reason was to raise the height of the combing pads. On the earlier ones, it hit most people just below the knees. "Super Surveyor" Pascoe's biggest gripe about the B28.

John, is the boat in the water yours? If so, very nice! That interior was only available in the last two years of production which ended in 1994. Your flybridge on the trailer is from one of the last production years.

Eddy G.
lore

Post by lore »

Eddy,
I have a 1975 model and the cockpit is as deep as the latest models. I know because I have been fishing on 1990 model just like yours few times. I am 6.1 tall and the gunnel hit my legs well above the knee level. I find just pefect for fishing. I think since 1990 they rose the cockpit few inches I believe to fit in bigger tanks. They went from 165 g. to 185/200 g. These models have a less deep cockpits. Since 1983 they started the Bertram28 II with the raised gunnel to regain deepness.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh66 ... GP0347.jpg
lore

Post by lore »

correction:
Please notice the cockpit was raised starting from the early 80s models . These are the one with less deep cockpits. It is easy to detect looking at the transom scuppers. In the old models they are closer to the waterline.