Striper caught at CATALINA!!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ironman

Striper caught at CATALINA!!

Post by Ironman »

I thought these were gone by now.. Can they spawn in salt water?
I caught one in the 70s in Newport harbor. They were stocked back then in the harbor. So I hear.
What you striper guys think?
Wayne
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/insho ... -bass.html
[/img][/url]
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

wayne
years ago i was visiting in the sanfranciso area and jumped on one of the charter boats fishing for bass, i could not belive that the minimum was somthing like 12" 14". iam not sure if its the same class as the east coast, and talking to the regs out there a 5 lb bass was a nice fish. that 41" is definatly a respectable fish
Carl

Post by Carl »

Nice looking Bass. No clue as to whether they can spawn in salt water
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

They seem to spawn in brackish water. Run up the Hudson near us. Another body of fish run into and up Chesapeake Bay. Any streams run into the bay out there? The Fish and Wildlife Service would never have transported Striped Bass across the country and put them in the bay if there was no chance of them reproducing there. As I understood it there was a direct compatability of the east a west coast areas that inspired the attempt at transplanting. They are an extremely hardy fish and with the proper forage species around grow very large. Excellent eating if coming out of cold clean waters. Walter
randall

Post by randall »

the water around the channel islands is cold and clean....ive spent a lot of time in it. never saw a striped bass however.