Fishing off Marathon Fla

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CatEquipt

Fishing off Marathon Fla

Post by CatEquipt »

Visiting a friend in Marathon who has a 17 ft Sailfish CC...Looking for some lat and lon numbers to do some Butterfly jigging for Amberjacks and Grouper....Anyone have numbers for some good local holes???

Thanks Fred
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

If your friend does not have any spots I can give you some numbers. Hopefully the wind comes down. Been really windy here for the most part. Last night was flat calm. First time I have been seen it that nice this year.
charlie falkenstein

Post by charlie falkenstein »

fred
marc sheridan(from o.c.member ocm&tc) is down in marathon and lives on sombrero blvd. email me at fishenfun@comcast.net and i will give you his cell number.
mahi should be coming in too!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Fred,
I should have mentioned I am not familiar with butterfly jigs, but if you can elaborate on bottom type and depth I most certainly can help you with spots. Let me know when you are coming down here. Maybe we could drink a few cold ones and trade stories.
CatEquipt

fishing spots

Post by CatEquipt »

Kevin butterfly jigging requires 50 ft or more depth with some type of bottom structure ie: wreck or reef...we fished the Thunderbolt wreck with a lil succes jigged up dome bonito...today...let me know if you have any recommendations?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I do not do any fishing like that. How about the 7 mile bridge rubel, that is around 100 feet or so. I can get you the numbers for that. Are you here now?
Buju

Post by Buju »

Any of the main reefline is potentially good for b-fly jigging. I've done pretty well on the muttons & grouper with b-flies, also have caught some monster mangroves, and some lil AJ's...
Don't know why you'd need 50' minimum...I understand the retrieve calls for a bit of a water column, But I've had success over even the patch reefs in 20 to 30'.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
CatEquipt

7 Mile Bridge

Post by CatEquipt »

Kevin thanks for all the help!!! I have woked my way up to Sarasota but I should be back down that way in a couple months...When I am back in Marathon I will def catch up with you for a beer...We stopped by Castaways last night on our way outta town for some bangin Sushi.....If you could email me the numbers for the 7 mile rubble I will make a point to check it out next time I am in town!!!

Fred@TackleDirect.com
CatEquipt

Jigging

Post by CatEquipt »

Good point on the water depth...I have had success up north for Striper in 30-40 feet of water...