Wax Time

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill G.

Wax Time

Post by Bill G. »

Anyone have any strong opinions on wax brands, any better results as far as lasting the season.Saw someone using a 3M wax in a blk/purple bottle and it came out real good but hard to work with had to be applied with a wheel.Been using Nu-Finish only complaint it seems to hold dirt and streaks but a good shine. TXS..................................Bill G.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

painted or gel coat? on my imron use Mothers Car wax----cleaner first and then pure wax
John F.

Post by John F. »

I use the Meguirs Premium that comes in a black plastic bottle. It works well, and is easy to use.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Use Rejex. It lasts longer than wax. I used to use Meguires Flagship. Its a great wax, but its still wax. 4 years ago I switched to Rejex. The Rejex makes the boat shine better and makes cleaning black streaks a snap. Its unreal.
Regards,

Doug L.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Last season I did the port side with Rejex and the starboard with Meguires. Boat look pretty good, but when I pull the boat for it's spring cleaning and waxing I will post.
I have to say Rejex is a PITA compared to Meguires. Meguires easy on easy off in the sun or not. Rejex is easy on PITA on the "wax off" part.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

for the first time since the boat was sprayed 2 years ago, i put 3 coats of rejex on easy to use, and as doug said black streakes and soot just wash away, should be splashing this week, just waiting for the rudders to be re packed.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Does it apply like wax? Can you apply over wax? I like to buff Alchemy out with the cleaner wax first, to bring out the great shine, and then I use the ultra performance wax. It looks great, but is a full weekend project. I have rarely heard a bad thing about rejex, and am tempted, but don't really want to mess with what is a winning formula for me.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

I know the direct sunlight issue with rejex can be a PITA, but I've found it no more diffucult to wipe off than the meguires. I can do the entire hull (on/off) in just under 2 hours. Its about 50-55 minutes per side. I always put 2 coats on the top sides and 3 on the transom and corners.

The directions say you can apply over wax, but it will reduce its effectiveness. The first time I used it I polished the hull with a machine and 3M's finesse it II. Then, per Capt Pat's suggestion, I applied a meguires machine glaze. Finally followed with 2 coats of rejex.

Now, I just wash the hull and apply the rejex. Couldn't be easier. If I could figure out how to post a pic I would, but you check out the boat here:

http://www.bertram33.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1596
Regards,

Doug L.
Cosmo F.

Post by Cosmo F. »

Bill G,
I've visited this site for quite some time now but never posted. I recently registered and thought I would mention that we have a small company that operates in NJ. We sell inshore and offshore tackle as well as boat cleaning products. We have bottled our own boat wash's and wax that we think work great. I have a painted 31 and when I use the wax, I find it unbelievably easy to work. It also stands up nicely to the salt water elements and it leaves our boat looking good all summer. If you want me to send you a bottle to try, I would be more than happy to do it. Send me an email with your address and I will get a bottle out to you to try this week. If your boat is gel, our product will clean through mild oxidation and leave the boat looking great. (and your arms wont feel like falling off after you're done) Let me know if you want to try some.
"Ashley Danielle"
1971 FBC - Pt Pleasant, NJ
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Cosmo,

Good talking with you yesterday afternoon, let me know when you have your new website online. Again welcome aboard!

Best regards,

Patrick
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

I used Rejex on my flybridge - it seems to hold up better than the starbrite PTEF

1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Our boat is painted, but a couple of years ago when the wife was doing the spring clean and wax a detailer guy gave her some YachtBright to use and the proper sequence.

1 -coat cleanerwax (what ever's on sale) maybe two in stuborn spots.
1st -coat YachtBright polish on by hand and off with the buffer
2nd -coat YachBright poish on by hand and off by hand.

The only problem I've got now is the top side paint is wearing thin, its a 15+ year old paint job which wasn't a good one to start.

I think what makes the difference is the polish top coat, like YachtBright or Rejex, it's harder than wax. But it won't clean at all which is why the first coat is cleanerwax.

br,
JohnD
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Cosmo-We tried your stuff today and it won the compliments of my mate/cousin who is in the body/fender repair business. If he says it's good...its GOOD! I suggest the Bretheren should look into it. The cleaner wax is easy to apply and remove, buffing up to a nice shine. Walter