New Bertram 26 site

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveM

New Bertram 26 site

Post by SteveM »

In in the realization that bertram31.com is THE center of the Bertram universe as far as website info for classic bertrams, I am humbly asking permission to post this notification.

I have just created www.bertram26.com

The intent is simply to find and display the rare Outboard version of the Bertram 26 Sport Convertible. Some say there are as few as 5 built, and some say 50. I'd like to find out and create a meeting place for the owners of these rare birds to display their boats.

Thanks for letting me post.

Steve Marinak
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Steve,

Thanks for the post about your new site. Most of us Bertram nuts like all of the old models (1960s thru 80s), regardles of size. Your site is very nicely done.

Tommy
Buju

Post by Buju »

Steve,
I've tried to check it out a few times now... All I get is a black page with a B26 header. I'd bet its a problem with my browser... I need to update.
Did you go with Kon Tiki for the name, and did away w/ Sapphire King?
How've the Abacos been lately?
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

What browser are you using and at what version or level? I'm just curious to see if other will have the problem you are having. You must be getting close though as the redirect URL is kontiki..blahblahblah...KonTiki is the name of our house in the Abacos. I built the site with iWeb, the free software on the mac, it looks nice and it's easy to use. However, I've noticed that like flash websites this mac website does not get hits in google or other search engines, I'll have to do some listing with a service. I've made webpages with MS FrontPage, more tedious and not as clean looking, but very searchable. The KonTiki root URL is for the cottage. But I was being frugal and using the same storage space for the Bertram26 site. www.bertram26.com will redirect after you click it. The boat name is now Sapphire Queen. Boat's are female names typically...and it got me more brownie points with the wife. My old band was the Sapphire Kings. The wife wanted to be part of the boat, we had no nickname for her, so a quick rename was done to make her feel included (I should think of these things ahead of time, I'd score more, uh, points). There's no transom space for a name so it's not even on the boat. The big 70's looking Bertram logo sticker takes all the real estate on the sides of the boat. I like the sticker, it's original, I'm a stickler for keeping things original, so it's staying on there.
Steve Marinak
randall

Post by randall »

cool!!
Buju

Post by Buju »

I'm still using old netscape 7.2 for the majority of my web-tivities... I have Safari & Firefox as well, just been sticking to netscape because all of the passwords, autofill forms, and email is there. Need to update everything sometime.
So I checked it out with firefox. Really aesthetically pleasing and nicely laid out website.
Great pics of the family and the boat in the Abacos... Boat looks real happy.
I bet you're lookin forward to the day you can repower with newer tech OB's, for much incresed range- esp. when paying them Bahamian fuel prices. Any plans to eventually put an additional helm station on that half tower??..probably when you repower huh? That'll open up a whole new world, especially when you're navigating relatively unfamiliar Bahamian waters at speed, that extra height is a godsent.
Again, great job, cool site, boat's looking great.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I never knew about the 26' until I read Pascoe's review a few years ago. Now I'm hooked on them. If, or I guess I should say when, I am in the market for a "new" outboard, I think I will hunt down a 26'.

Good luck with her, she's in the right waters.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Buju, yes I am REALLY looking forward to repowering. Having a helm up top would be really nice too for navigating through coral heads and finding lobster spots.

I've decided to go with Etec 200's for a few reasons. 1. There is a boat stolen almost every week in the Abacos, they are only stealing the boats with newer Yamahas. 2. The local Evinrude guy in Marsh Harbour has been really good maintaining these old Johnsons and I believe in going back to someone who's been good. He sells new Evinrudes.

I would like to do the fuel tank swappage before I drop brand new Etecs on her too. So this will be a chunk of change and I have been focused on getting the KonTiki house behind me first.

Thanks for all the positive responses. I know of two other B26 outboards one down here in Hallandale and another in Michigan. I hope to get those pictures and a story from the owners soon.
Steve Marinak
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

floridaskater wrote:Buju, yes I am REALLY looking forward to repowering. Having a helm up top would be really nice too for navigating through coral heads and finding lobster spots.

I've decided to go with Etec 200's for a few reasons. 1. There is a boat stolen almost every week in the Abacos, they are only stealing the boats with newer Yamahas. 2. The local Evinrude guy in Marsh Harbour has been really good maintaining these old Johnsons and I believe in going back to someone who's been good. He sells new Evinrudes.

I would like to do the fuel tank swappage before I drop brand new Etecs on her too. So this will be a chunk of change and I have been focused on getting the KonTiki house behind me first.

Thanks for all the positive responses. I know of two other B26 outboards one down here in Hallandale and another in Michigan. I hope to get those pictures and a story from the owners soon.
We spend a good portion of the summer in Michigan on Lake Michigan, that is what I am thinking this boat would be perfect for, but not too big for some of the "bigger" small lakes like Leelanau or Big Glen.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If you want one in Michigan you can try this guy. It's an old ad, the email doesn't work..but I called and the guy's wife said it's still for sale. I wanted her to send me pics for the site. I have not gotten them yet.

http://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/895022607.html
Steve Marinak