Norpro generators

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JP Dalik

Norpro generators

Post by JP Dalik »

Anybody got any info. Nice small in line 4kw. Single lung Isuzu diesel. Raw water cooled. Are they any good?
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

JP - it has a Farymann engine. I had a similar genset on AJ when I became her Steward in the early 90's. The Farymann was the worst engine I ever had to put it bluntly. Loud, vibrated, doo-doo shook off it all the time. Even with two water lift mufflers the exhaust sounded like a machine gun. LOUD.

My view is a multi cyl. 1800 rpm unit is much better and Kubota engines are hard to beat. I replaced the Farymann in the mid 90s with a Phasor 5.5 KW driven by a 3 cyl Kubota and recently replaced that with a Phasor 6.5 KW again with a 3 cyl. Kubota. The 6.5 is actually a little smaller (shorter) than the 5.5 and it is a hoss......

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

JP,

The Next Gen. 5.5 is what I'm installing has got a Kubota (2) cyl.
2800rpm which is quiet & small. They also have a 3.5 which is good.

R,
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Capt. Mike Holmes

Norpro

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

JP, Vic had a bad experience with the Ferryman engine on a used model. I bought a 4.3 Norpro new several years ago, and have had nothing but good service from it. By the way, all the other Norpro's use Isuzu engines. My Norpro came with a stainless drip pan and the same panel they use on the larger units - amps, water temp, oil pressure, and hour metter, lighted, even. The unit is gear driven, no belts between engine and generator end, no belts for the water pump, either. Cost was about $3,300. The unit weighs just over 100 pounds - my wife helped me get it ouboard the port engine. I have under 200 hours on it, but I rarely leave the dock without it running, and it produces plenty of power for my needs. It is raw water cooled, but has a stainless exhaust elbow. Like the 3.5 Next Gen, it is loud. I have two waterlift mufflers that don't do much, but I followed the advice of the late Sonny and Helldiver Stan and ran a hose off the air intake towards the stern, vented it through the hull - made it very tolerable. With the engines running, you can't hear it, and it is quiet enough to sleep at anchor at night. I also made my own enclosure out of 1" Sounddown, and have 2" Sounddown inside the engine boxes. One day, I may go for a bigger, quieter genset, but for now, the little Norpro does an excellent job.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Well went and ran the little Norpro today. It ran like a top made good oil pressure has all the additional gauges and a wire harness to remote mount the controls. Made good power we ran a few heaters and a light at roughly 20 amps.
It had the Farymann engine and was probably the loudest thing I've heard in a long time. UV you were right!! Not exhaust but the actual engine was really loud.
If anyone is looking for a little genset with 87 hours on it that is only 1500.00 it may the one for you.
As for us a 5KW Northern Lights is going in the Chimera.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Capt. Mike Holmes

Norpro

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

JP, you'll have to type louder - I can't hear you witn my generator running! Before I did all the modifications to quiet mine down, it was louder than both my Cummins. With the noise tempered a lot, I'm pretty happy with it. Had to change a couple of impellers, but that was due to muddy water clogging the intake lines. I agree thatn the larger,quieter 2 and 3 cylinder units are the real way to go. I have a friend producng a 5.5 with Kubota power (I think) for use on long haul trucks, and he alos makes a marine version. Probably go with one of those next time. For now, though, the Norpro makes the AC run.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."