Another Coonass 31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jackryan

Another Coonass 31

Post by jackryan »

After years of harassing brokers, out of town junkets and trying to run down every obscure lead on a 31' Bertram, I finally bought one. Hard to believe, I actually bought it right here in New Orleans at an auction a couple of weeks ago. Here are the details: 1978 31' Sportfisherman with a retrofit bulkhead. 2005 240 hp 4LHA-STP Yanmars with 156 Hours. 4.0 KW MASE generator with 80 hours. 16,000 BTU reverse cycle A/C Heat. Garmin 2010 Plotter/Bottom finder. Simrad Autopilot. Furuno Radar and lots more. To put it mildly, I'm extremely fired up. My wife was fired up at first, but now that I have spent 3 to 4 hours on the boat every day that I'm not at work, she's not quite as fired up as she was.

I want to thank Uncle Vic for all of the help he has given me over the years. He's answered lots of questions about lots of boats without hesitation. I've already done a lot to the boat, and I have lots of questions for the experts on the site, but I'll wait and ask those one at time. I'll try to post a few pictures.

John Ryan

[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/billegood/3 ... 5577901698[/img][img]http://picasaweb.google.com/billegood/3 ... 6008525378[/img][img]http://picasaweb.google.com/billegood/3 ... 3181291778[/img]
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Looks like my images did not post. Here's a link to a slide show of photos that a buddy of mine and his son took on the boat:

http://picasaweb.google.com/billegood/3 ... #slideshow

Hope that works.

John Ryan
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Nice!
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Buju

Post by Buju »

Wow, really clean looking John. Congratulations!
She's a beauty, of course the wife is jealous... Just get her out on the boat and she'll be back on your side.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

very nice john, best of luck with her
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Best of luck, she looks great
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

The boy looks happy with his new boat.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

You did good.......real good! ! !

I have always liked the front shots from across the marina.......looks like a Low, Sleek, Battlewagon ! ! !

Congratulations

Harry
hb
randall

Post by randall »

my favorite configuration of a 31....good luck!!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

really great way to start bertram ownership but the best part of the purchase is to have a son to share it with.i could not think of a better way for a boy to grow up than to have him say "my dad has a 31 bertram"to his friends.!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Looks great, John, congratulations. Hope to see you on the water.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Congrats John, You and the family are going to enjoy it. Looks great.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Thanks Guy's. I plan on keeping SNAFU slipped here in New Orleans for a couple of months while I do some work on her, then go down to Venice/Port Eads this summer for some billfishing. I'll keep you posted on the progress. I'm trying to decide if I fish her for a season or two with the current paint or haul and paint now.

JR
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Congrats on the new boat.
I did some work on mine before I actually used it. I wished I had used it for a few months before starting the projects. I spent 6 months at the boat yard wishing I knew what I had. Use it first just in case the paint takes longer than expected. Thats what I would do if I were doing it all over again. Just my .02
Carl

Post by Carl »

I fully understand the reasoning behind getting the boat 100% before you get to using it.

But my thought is the best part about a Bertram is using it. Get the family out on it as much as possible, use it whenever you can and then start to knock off items on that upgrade list in the off seasons.

Plus you get to learn the ins and outs of her without having to worry about that flawless paint job.

Just my two cents.

Looks real good, welcome to the club and best of luck with her!
Buju

Post by Buju »

Agree.
The paint looks fair in the pics... get some nicks in the finsh first, let a few blue suit bills smack the hull, maybe a stray gaff scrape...have a whole first summer of enjoyment outta her before you get into all that.
The memories of the first summer/autumn alone will keep you all that much more motivated to get her done, once you do strip her down and paint.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Congrats. She looks great to me--nice power. Enjoy. My B31 is presentable, but could also use paint. I like it that way--makes it alot easier when my kid or when of their friends drops a sinker/bucktail,soda can, or smacks the sinker, etc. into the side of the hull.
kipp

Post by kipp »

John,
Congratulations and welcome to the coonass 31 family.
I would fish a season or two,and then paint, as you might decide there are other fishing related projects that are priorities. I keep my boat in Venice at my camp. Call me and we'll do some bluesuit caravans this summer.
kipp 225 268-5617 cell
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Thanks for the advice. I took the boat out on Lake Pontchartrain tonight and she ran great. I was getting 29 mph at 3000 rpm. The engines run up to 3500 rpm on the pins getting 34.9 MPH. Not sure what the cruising RPM is on the 4LHA-STP's. I'm guessing around 3000 to 3100 RPM.

I talked it over with my brother tonight, and I'm with you guy's, I'm going to use the boat for a while before I do anything major. My brother and I are going to restore the mahogany fighting chair. Kipp, thanks for the invite. I have your # and I would love to go out and chase the blues with you guy's this summer. I have one friend that has a camp at Port Eads that survived Katrina, and another friend that has just finished putting his his camp back together. Not the same without the Big Game Club, but I think it's going to be pretty nice down there this summer.

John Ryan
randall

Post by randall »

have fun...i hope to one day return to port eades.
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

John: If you had a decent load in the boat during your ride, it looks like you are propped perfectly. 3450 rpm WOT fully loaded is considered the minimum for the 240 Yanmars. As for cruise rpm, you can run them 3000, but for long life, 2750 - 2850 is recommended. I have a B28 in Madisonville, just north of you and my numbers are exactly what you posted. I normally run mine at 2750 -2800 which gives me 25 - 26 mph.

Take a ride to the north shore and come visit some time.

Eddy G.
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Eddy,

Thanks for the invite, I plan on taking the kids on some overnight trips to Madisonville this summer, so I'll drop you a line before I head up that way. Thanks for the cruise RPM info on the 4LHA-STP's. I've talked to Laborde Products on the North Shore a couple of times about the engines and they seem to be very helpful. I may have to make a drive over to buy some spare parts soon.

John Ryan
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

John, Great boat...run it and have fun with it then, plan your projects. Wish I got to use mine before I tore into it. Your boy looks as happy as you must be...good luck getting him off the boat. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?