Boating Magazine and Bertram 31's

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Chiles

Boating Magazine and Bertram 31's

Post by Chiles »

Not sure if anyone has already mentioned this, but I just read a blurb in the lates 50th anniv. publication of Boating Magazine. They have a bunch of information on birth of the moppie, outdrives, etc. It even has a few quotes from some of our own and mentions Captian Patrick by name.

One little critique.... B31's should be the first on the list of cult boats.

Chiles
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Yes, we've got the best KoolAid.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Boating

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Boating has done some great tributes to the 31, including the 20th anniversary (of the 31) issue in 1980. They also did one about 5 years ago where their staff voted the 31 "The best boat ever built". Today's Boating staff, however, is a different breed. They love the sensational, have a very juvenile sense of humor, and are much less experience and know-how. Oh, and their editorial content is even more heavily driven by ad content than other magazines. Funny, the size of the magazine keeps goign down.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Cult boats from the, 60's-70's-80's-90's-and now starting the 2000's and like Walter said,
I have yet to meet someone who had one in the past that didn't love it and wish they had kept it.
These boats are timeless, amazing boats for sure. I'm lucky to be a stewart of one.

R,
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
scot

Post by scot »

I guess their ad space buyers are turning out 70 mph offshore boats with 300 gal fuel tanks, 2 or 3 250hp outboards and these are the boats they have to praise...I think we call that capitalism. But I'll bet none of the stuff that is being launched today will have a cult following in 30 years!

They may blow past us in the ship channel but many of them go by with their thumbs up.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I bought my 31 Sportsfisherman when I was 42. I'm 72 now and the boat is as handsome today as the day I bought it...if not more so. Wish I could say the same about me. Walter
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

In all fairness, anyone in business will favor those that advertise or do buisiness with them. I also like their sense of humor, and I don't think that it is too much unlike ours. Plus, they have attractive models sitting in the cockpits of their photo's.

I wish I could say that I had read all of the previous editions that you guys spoke of, and I bet I would agree with your comments about that as well. As for today, I feel like Boating is pretty good considering how few choices I have for the fishing / boating I do. Where they lack, is where this board picks up. At least they gave us a spot and mentioned Captian Patrick as well.

The most important thing, Bertram got several mentions plus a half page alone to the B31. What did Hatteras get????

Cheers!

Chiles
scot

Post by scot »

Chiles,

"what did Hatteras get?"...shame on you for ringing "someone's" dinner bell. Now we'll all have to listen to it.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

C'on now, it says we are to love thy brotheren even if he is adopted.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Don't worry. I'm not going to get going about RLDT's, and how they are marganialy better than a bayliner. That would be redundant, as it's common knowledge. What isn't known is that I'm gonna kick the crap out'a the stew nazi the next time I see him.