POLIGLO

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill G.

POLIGLO

Post by Bill G. »

Anybody ever tried Poliglo?any good or snake oil?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

What is Poliglo???

Harry
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Poly-Glo is non wax polish that will make your 40 year old boat look showroom new and all you have to do is open the bottle around the boat and it goes to work, last for years and only cost pennies per application. At least that is what the man said on TV.

Never tried it.

What is funny...I keep opening this thread wondering what "poliglo" is. Then read it and go " Oh that stuff". Yeah it's that kind of day and now that I actually typed it ...not all that funny...
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I see.......thanks for the explaination Carl.....Now that you said it I can see......

When my kids were young I would pay them to wash my truck....a few times it looked like they stuck a mop up their a$$ and turned cartwheels around the truck......wish I had put Poly-Glo on the mop.......

Harry
hb
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

if i remember correctly its a finish, like a floor finish for, as say like a kitchen floor, my 2 cents stay away
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I have a customer that uses it on his Bayliner 45.

I liken it to floor wax, you can apply with a sponge.

It does make a chalked gel coat shine but in Florida only lasts a year.

Only way to remove is with ammonia.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I've used it....its one of da Judge's potions. Amazing stuff for real dull fiberglass....I used it on my B20 decks and it made them look like new. It is water based and applied with a small pad....I used folded fake chamos......and it takes about 7 or 8 light coats applied one after the other in a small area. It does not streak or show where its overlapped.

I was very happy with it.

UV
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

You guys are funny, and very entertaining.
not much on TV
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

You right about that Andre'.......my power has been off since 1 am this morning when the tornado hit....running on the 21 KW diesel set....big ass mess with trees down again blocking the driveway....shades of Gustav again....we got it mostly cleaned up (other than the limb that came thru a dining room window) but there is another line of storms bearing down on the Red Stick City as we speak.

Looks like another long night.

UV
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

I used that or a very similar product about 10 years ago. I bought it at the Jacob-Javets show.

It is NO GOOD! That is my informed opinion but it does like the others have mentioned. It will give a great shine.

After a season or two it starts to wear away and you are left with splotchy patches of shiny area and dull areas.

The stuff does not come off for crap, I tried to scrub it off and it would not come off. I did not try ammonia but coincidentially sold the boat so I never ended up getting it all off.

I just remember saying after the fact that if I knew what it ended up being like I would have never bought it in the first place.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Poly-Glo is to fiberglass, what Cetol is to teak.... Seems like an easy solution in place of compounding, sealing, and polishing, (the right way to do it), but turns into a nightmare later.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Poly-Glo is to fiberglass, what Cetol is to teak.....

Nuff said!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

UV you are a regular storm magnet aren't you!! Glad everyone is OK, as that is what ultimately matter in the long run. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
gplume

Post by gplume »

Have a dock neibor that raves about the stuff. I sure brings back the color nice, but you don' get that smooth "compounded and waxed" feeling when you run your hands over the finish. For that reason I prefer the old school compound and wax.

(I guess this makes me half a whore as i get ready to Cetol my teak....oil ain't an option in my case)

Giff
Giff
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Giff-why not? The pictures of your deck look like the'd be a good candidate for oil. Walter
Bill G.

poliglo

Post by Bill G. »

Thanks for the input gentleman have a couple of areas that the gelcoat is wearing thin and was thinking of a bandaid till business gets better thinking it might help preserve whats there...................txs,........Bill
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

I let a detail guy talk me into Poliglo for my Bertram and it looked good for awhile. But it hardened in the sun and began to look splotchy, and then the whole boat looked like crap. Taking it off was a nightmare. We wet-sanded the brow of the flybridge and a job that should have taken 45 minutes took three hours. That stuff hardens like you won't believe.

In the end, I had to buy another Poliglo product, "PoliStrip" to get the Poliglo off. I had to spray the entire superstructure and scrub it with a brush, twice. Took most of a Sunday but I got it off. Ammonia does work, sort of, as does acetone....sort of.

Capt. Patrick is right on the money, though. Compounding and buffing are the right way.

JB
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Sounds like a horrible product. Beware of a very shiny older boat that's for sale.