inside diesel tank

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

luis

inside diesel tank

Post by luis »

I find a fiberglass diesel tank that is exactly what I need to replace the old one (already removed). I look inside this tank (I remove the top of the tank,screw all around, and I was thinking on giving him, after a good cleaning, some kind of paint. But I don't know if is a good idea and also what kind of paint should I use. I apreciate any help. Thanks and best regards.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Luis,
I think there has been no response perhaps because of a language or comprehension barrier...

Are you wanting to paint the interior(inside) of the fuel tank?
If so, I would say NO.

If you want to paint the exterior (outside) it can be done, but for what advantage/reason? Perhaps the gelcoat is in bad shape and you just want to make it look better?
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
luis

Post by luis »

Thanks Buju for your answer. The question is that the inside of the fiberglass tank is like having some small cracks and my first idea was to paint. After I realise that painting is not a good option but I really like to do something to cover those cracks. Can I put some veil with a ISO resin? Does the diesel fuel eat that? I am blind and on the dark. If you have an idea please go ahead and thanks again.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I have used Kreem with good results on a carbon fiber fuel tank.

http://www.carparts.com/KREEM-LIQUID-FU ... _10618.car

http://www.revzilla.com/product/kreem-f ... -combo-pak

DO NOT try to speed the drying time by using a hair drier to warm the interior of the tank.

(Ask Thuddd how I know this..... Back then, we would have called him Boom...)
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I think back when we were having tank issues with ethanol we found out some tanks had gelcoat on the inside and others did not.

Mine did not have any coating on the inside, bare glass, I am thinking maybe your tank was gelcoated on the inside and that is what is cracking. If its ony the gelcoat cracking I'd leave well enough alone. The Bare Glass I would think is more then adequate to handle the fuel and whatever you may apply has to adhere to the gelcoat and seep into the voids of gelcoat and adhere to the glass which may be contaminated with fuel and cause adhesion problems.

If it's the actual tank cracking, I'd replace.

My .02
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

If you must coat it:

http://www.por15.com/Fuel-System-Restor ... oducts/12/

Note that they do claim it to be alcohol resistant.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31