Shaft Packing

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

makomike1

Shaft Packing

Post by makomike1 »

What is the correct shaft packing for a bertram 28 with 1 1/8 shafts. Also what is the best type of packing to use? GTU Gore packing , PTFE flax packing? Thanks Mike
RussP

Post by RussP »

Stick with the flax packing! It's been used for years with excelent results, The gore packing works good for rudders but I would still use flax packing.
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Bill G.

packing

Post by Bill G. »

Used gortex on my 28 last year so far so good just took time to get it adjusted to basically no drip and almost none while running with cool packing glands. Bill G.
makomike1

Packing size

Post by makomike1 »

Thanks for input , what would the correct size to use for 1 1/8 shaft 3/16 or 1/4 . packing
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Gore tex.
Regards,

Doug L.
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

I went with 1/4 Gore Tex- my shafts are 1 1/4" on my B-28 - sure they are 1 1/8?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

When I did my rudders I was told by one of the gurus here to use the standard flax packing which has to this time proven in my application to hold up longer. The first time I used goretex and it was fine for a bit but I had to tighten untill I could tighten no more and it still leaked. The shafts may be a different story though. I wish I could remember who told me to ad some credibility to my experience. Never the less for the rudders I would stay with standard flax. I put the PSS dripless on my 1 1/8 shafts so I am no help with the size.