Norcold Fridge in Galley

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tommy

Norcold Fridge in Galley

Post by Tommy »

Hey Guys,

Remind me of the best resource for replacing the galley fridge (Norcold) and the compressor (duel-volt). I'm trying to help James as much as possible before he ships Island Girl a month from now. He said it's a pain to get a lot of that stuff in the Med.

Thanks,

Tommy
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Do you have one in the boat that you're replacing or is this a new installation in the old Icebox section? You're at an advantage since Island Girl is a Sportsfisherman and you'll have no door to have to go through. Walter
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Tommy,

Send you a pm.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Walt,

We are replacing the one that is there now, which I think was a replacement of the original done by Jim Bailey in 2000. The unit being replaced uses the old freon, and the new one would, of course, use the new coolant gas.

Tommy
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Walt,

I just spoke with Jim, and he said that he bought a new compressor and retro-fit kit that allowed him to turn the original Bertram galley icebox into a refrigerator. This time James wants to replace both with a new system.

DQ,

I sent you a PM, but give me a call at (919) 880-0832 and let'ss discuss dimensions.

Tommy
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Tommy,
Doubt you'll find anything new that size to fit without redoing opening.

If I remember right its a converted box with a remote compressor assy.

Get a Norcold replacement unit http://www.marineparts.com/kel/kel96.aspx
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have a Sportsfisherman and lived with the Icebox until I caught my wife negotiating with my marina counter clerk about a fridge. In self defense we put in a Norcold DE0051 in 2002 and have never had a problem. It is an AC/DC unit which automatically reverts to DC once the shore current line is disconnected. Otherwise AC runs it at the dock and whatever is in it stays nice and cold. If you DON'T use shore current, you should talk to Norcold's Customer service guys about which has the lowest amperage draw. Don't connect it to a starting battery just in case you have a marina power failure or something trips the shore circuit breaker as being away for a week or so could drain that battery. The unit dropped into the hole we cut into the original icebox space and just needed a rear support to hold up the back end and not stress the side/top/bottom connections in a rocking sea. Hope this helps. Walter
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

DQ, Walt and Bruce,

As usual, you guys have come through with the info needed. I will chase down all the leads you shared, and I'll check the measurements, DQ, that you called in.

Tommy