Price comparison from 1967 to today

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rawleigh

Price comparison from 1967 to today

Post by Rawleigh »

My B31 cost $17,648.12 on October 19, 1967. According to this calculator it would cost $111,565.18 today. I don't think that a stripped down (as it came from the factory v. today's standards) B31 could be built for that price today. What do you think?

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Rawleigh,

When I went over to Bertram to pick up my fuel tank last December, I sat and had a long talk with Richard Kidd. I said that it is too bad that Bertram doesn't make a 28 or 31 for the boater that wants a mid size cruiser and at the same time, build them like they did, not like they do. He told me that the 28 with gassers would probably retail for $200k and the 31 with diesels would be some where around $275k.

So you know they will never build another Bertram like ours or even the 20 or 25 for that matter because no one could afford to buy one.

So take care of your Bertram. They won't be building anymore like them.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Seems like you'd have a hard time getting a decent single OB center console for $112K.

I figure to get a brand new replacement of what I have (quality 33 with diesels, gennie, hardtop & enclosure, decent electronics, air condiotning, teak and holly, etc...) would probably be around half a mil.
Regards,

Doug L.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Have you guys seen the prices on large outboard boats? Take a look at a new 30' Regulator, the price is astonishing.

If I were in the market I would consider an inboard diesel for near the same price. Just my $.02.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

rawleigh lets look at a compatable.31 cabo with 350 hp cat diesels is over 315k .every 30 to 32' sport fisherman made in the usa has at least 315 hp diesels minumim ,so use that as a standard.i would say 275k would be conservative for a 31bertram with twin 315 yanmars or 330 cummins with a/c, modern cabin with fabric, hydralic steering,trim tabs,no electronics ,full stand up head and holding tank ,fresh water system,salt water wash down,bait tank,has to be 330k at least.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Thats what does not make any sense. I read about the cost being roughly 250-300K to make these boats now. People are paying 240K for a 33 C/C with triples. It's just a different niche of market. Guys like us like the thought of having the choice of buying a new boat built like the original. Most of us seem to be do it yourselfers too. I personally do not think these outboard C/C boats are worth the money. They have there limitations like any boat. Outboards are expensive to run, maintain, purchase and I have never seen them reliable past 1200 hours. Bottom line is the cost of building the 28 or 31 as is cuts into profit margins and most people seem to be content with speed at the expense of ride quality, lack of shelter and so on. I think if there was a market somone would build the mini sportfish.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

The cost of a new 31 would have to be higher than a new CABO. The only way it would be competative is if they found a way of building the mold so the tumblehome allowed them to pop the hull out of the mold easier.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thats right tony one at a time no mass production with reverse chines,strakes,tumblehone hull means two piece mold that is something modern science cannot change." man the bottom is bigger then the top "what do we do now!!!and the us navy newest frigate has the exact shape ------hello is anybody listening!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473