Ever heard of these guys???

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Ever heard of these guys???

Post by Harry Babb »

I received an email earlier this week from Jimenez Boat Works....until then I had never heard of them......thought I would share in case there are others that want to take a look.

Harry

http://dondepr.com/Jimnezb/Sample/macilipi.html
hb
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

sorry harry i should have informed you prior to reccomending your machine shop to them for building them centain templates and other needs to build a phoenix propusion system. (engine placement,12degree template, 3degree struct shim and non marine steering system will all have to be made by you .i just told him what he needs and the custom machine can be done by you.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

That's fine Bob.........do they do a lot of our 31's??? Wonder if Husco knows them???

I thought it was odd to receive their email but now I do understand.

How do you know these guys??

Harry
hb
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

harry they had about 6 bertrams they were rebuilding in there large shop.they ask me questions on my engineering of phoenix propusion and overall layout i recommended your shop for all the machine work .most would be one piece templates but transmission gear mounts would be made for all as well as a permanent struct shim.looked like the perfect jobbing for a small controlled shop.--------------capt. bob
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

harry if it is allright with you i recommended 6061 alluminum for stringer covers like 4"x 3" angle.unless you happen to have a downed f-14 in your back yard (titatium stock) i think 6061 aluminum is the best in marine surrondings.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Thums Up

Post by Thums Up »

I can't get there webpage to work other than the pics. Where are they located? Thanks.
http://Www.GT-lures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I almost like their side window.
matt

Post by matt »

what is the purpose of the recess and oversize "flange" around the exhaust?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

walterk windows are present day 63' bertram exact. i agree very nice addition.exhaust flange dispersers noise and smoke from exhaust used on larger searays.they are located in PR.i erased all the p.m. so i don`t have exact address. jp i referred to a post writen a while back were i indicated a slight additional piece added to the windscreen area would enable a 31 bert to have two c series or e series raymarine unit mounted almost vertical to best be seen by a capt. in the sitting position(like 3 hours to the canyon) this is the answer look at the 21st picture.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Walt, I kinda agree with you on the windows.. The way they worked the contour on the outward rear pillars looks like it took a lot of effort...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bob
I use 6061 all of the time. Although 5086 or 5052 is more suited for marine use the 6061 is more available in shapes. I agree with you the 6061 is just fine.

Below is a pic of the way I generally construct Stringer Caps. Its a welded construction with the top piece being 4" x 3/4" thick 6061 aluminum flatbar and the vertical legs are 4" x 1/4" flatbar.

I cut several locking grooves (for epoxy) in the bottom of the 3/4" flatbar and ground the surfaces to rough them up then I bedded the Stringer Cap onto the stringer with thickened epoxy. After the epoxy cured I drilled thru and bolted the stringer cap to the stringers....in 6 places.

Overkill???!!!.....probably so!!

I will drill and tap the 3/4" top plate for bolting the vibration isolator to the stringer.

Take a look at the nuts that tighten the vibration isolator to the engine mount..........That is a conical washer (top and bottom) sandwiched between to convex nuts......this setup will compensate for slight angular differences between the engine bed and the engine mounting bracket. After final alignment when you tighten the isolator bolts they will pull down solid aganist the engine mounting bracket without putting any bending moment in the isolator stud.

Harry

[img][img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289 ... ropped.jpg[/img][/img]
hb
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Very nice, like the conical washer touch.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Harry: Who makes them? You?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Hi Harry.

I also received the message and was kind of surprised. They did a hell of a job in the "Macylipi". Beautiful job I may say and they paid "anal" attention to detail. They are located at the NorthWest of the island and about seven years ago I almost bought a project 31 they had for sale at their place . That's all I can say about them. Puerto Rican sport fisherman (the real ones) admire and respect a 31 whenever they see one. A job not well done in a 31 will be disaster for any shop.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

hueso buy any chance would you know the owner or seen the 31bertram fbc "pull the hook" . unusual white bottom paint/white top side,composite windshield,radar arch. a documented charter fishing boat.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Walter wrote:Harry: Who makes them? You?
That's right Walter......We made them in our shop.......stuff like that is why it takes me so long to get anything done.

The Convex nut/ Concave washer setup is used extensively in machine shop setups......works like a charm on uneven surfaces.

I have seen a lot of engine installations in which the stud is not perpendicular with the engine mounting bracket....and thought for years that this setup would make a much more solid connection, reduce stress on the stud and lessen the likelyhood that the nuts would loosen.

If I had it to do again I will make the nut and washer smaller. I only have about a fat 3/8" of total vertical adjustment.

Harry
hb
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Harry, can you buy those washer/nut combos from Mcmaster?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I don't think they are available in a 3/4 NF thread.....316 SS

Could be available.......honestly I never looked

Harry
hb
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Harry Babb wrote:I don't think they are available in a 3/4 NF thread.....316 SS

Could be available.......honestly I never looked

Harry
Probably not in 316.