Need Help setting up Cam's on my boat

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CaptDana

Need Help setting up Cam's on my boat

Post by CaptDana »

Faithful-
My new boat has a Big Bay marine PC--windows based-with a flat screen at the helm- I am wanting to put a weather proof Infrared camera overlooking the cockpit- a IR cam in the engine room, and another cam in the cabin. (eventually one underwater) I would like to integrate them to watch on my Pc Flat screen which is at the helm- and would like to be able to record the video--and then transfer thru my DvD burner on the PC onto DVD. Also--since the pc is online when at the dock- I would like the ability to view the cams from a remote computer. Anyone have a system similiar - or have any Computer knowledge on how to do this- I am assuming I will run them into a card of some sort or USB ports- I would need software?(not sure what kind) and I would need cams--(not sure what kind either?0 I think my charter customers will really like this-
Any help is appreciated
thankkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkks
Dana
Dana Bonney
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

There are many companies that sell systems.
Pricing is a common factor.

I would not use an IR camera in the engine room due to the heat signature of the engines. It will make the picture one big white blotch.

I would also not use an IR in the cockpit unless the only intention is to view heat signatures at night.

Use good quality color cameras and if your interested in some type of night vision use a FLIR system like Brewster has.

Keep the engine room camera at least a few feet from a light sourrce as it will add considerable glare. Flourescent lighting in the engine room works best with cameras.

All the systems I've installed have been based on price.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

The cameras are not that much $ and run off 12v. They are waterproof and have sound. They also have ir for low light. I think the whole setup was 160$. I record on a 12v tv on tape but they can connect to whatever.
CaptDana

Brewster's cam

Post by CaptDana »

Brewster cam is great-- on our overnighter he could look up from the cat nap in the v berth and see what we were doing out back-- Brewster--I still can't get over how flat it was for October. BTW Thanks for the banana stickers.
Dana Bonney