B-28 input?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory Walter K

B-28 input?

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Took my Tahoe for servicing and was greeted at Chevy like a long-lost friend. Seems the service manager was interested in a 1981 28' Bertram Sportsfisherman that his Father's neighbor has to sell before he moves to Texas. He knew I was a Bertram nut, probably because he's never seen me without my Bertram hat on. I saw a picture of the boat which really showed me nothing I didn't know. It is powered with the original twin Volvo diesels. I've asked for more info but the asking price is $19, 000 which sounds pretty good to me. I told him that if he was really serious, he should have it looked at by a reputable surveyer, but I would ask the Faithful what they thought about that price. I was surprised it was diesel. Didn't know Bertram had powered 28's with Volvos as original equipment. Walter
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

That sounds like a great price assuming the boat's in good condition and engines don't need extensive work. In fact that has been at the low end for a decent gasser. I haven't kept track recently and prices are certainly depressed.

When I was buying my 28 I looked at a '73 for $25K asking, 170 Yanmars (I think) but the boat was beat and the cabin was gutted. You don't see many diesel 28's and they sell fast (one of the reasons I went diesel).

And just to confirm Volvo's were the OEM diesel for the 28.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

I guess it begs the question which model Volvo

Some of the early stuff really lived quite well.

As long as you didn't mind a little blue smoke.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

I owned a gas powered 81 for 2 seasons. The only reason I sold the boat was because it was too small for the cruising we wanted to do.

The stringers can be a problem with the 28's. Mine had been done the season before I bought the boat by Allen Harbor Marine in Harwichport, MA. Unfortunately they didn't do a very good job and they needed to be fixed. Fortunately, I got them to warrantee the job before I bought the boat. They repaired them the following season to my specifications.
Regards,

Doug L.
Michael

Post by Michael »

If they are the volvo 40 series, they were not the best, in fact they may be the worst engines produced by volvo. They were prone to water leaks and overheating. Also the mechanial shift gears were not great, the later hydraulic ones better. Weren't worth much more than gassers.
The 41 series were much better
Best to see exactly what engines/gears the boat has and be sure to have then well checked out if the 40 series. There are a few good 40's out there but most have issues
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

TAMD40B is the later version and i would say great engines. they pushed my 28Topaz express 26-27k and cruised 21-22k at 3200. The early gearbox is a crashbox and not as desireable as the later hydralic shifted ones. I had the 40B with crashboxes and they were good but expensive on parts. I could go 150mi roundtrip and burn right at 90-100gl.
Regards Troy
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

I looked over a factory diesel 28 when I was shopping for mine. IIRC, the original Volvos were rated at only 130 hp; and the boat was as slow as that implies. OTOH, the owner reported great fuel economy.

When I sea trialed my boat, the 170 Yanmars made it seem a comparative rocket ship.

Also, IIRC, the reason the factory used the Volvos was that they could use the same running (small shafts, cutlass bearings, struts). So, it's no advantage to starting with this boat if you upgrade the diesels.

I would suggest a sea trial and some soul-searching about the power situation (or lack thereof). Make sure you load the boat a bit for the sea trial...

Cheers!

John
Buju

Post by Buju »

Not to hijack, but if a repower is planned (even in the remote future) there are some real, real good deals in B28's out there right now. Here's a few:

B28 FBC w/ a simple tower. 6K... also taking offers, if thats not low enough...
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1975/Be ... ted-States

This next one is interesting.
It used to 'live' at Tavernier Creek here in the Keys and now is in Maderia Beach. It was always advertised as a '65 B28... Which I beleive is impossible, they didn't make the 28 until the 70's right????
The house is different too, and no rear bulkhead... I guess all of that (windows, open bulkhead, etc) could be custom, but whats up with the prod. year? I have crawled all over her when she was down here a few years ago, nicely done interior. Should be a steal at the 8.5K asking price.
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1965- ... n-94606486
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Buju,
I looked at that boat years ago at tav. creek marina. Nothing on it resembled anything like my 28 except the hull had some similarities. I would like to know the story behind it. Maybe Napier had some earlier hulls kinda like the 28 but not sure. The boat had external rudders and the deck was all flush......very high. Interior was kinda neat though. By the way we should do lunch sometime. I am up there quite a bit. Lazy Days is always good with me. 7865255311
Buju

Post by Buju »

Thats right, the external rudders on that 28. Strange, like a Blackfin. I'd also love to find out anything about it. I beleive the boat's name was/is Sea B's...
Sending a PM regarding lunch, sounds good.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.