For Bob

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Raybo Marine NY

For Bob

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

Did not want to hijack the 25 thread

for comparisons sake bob, this is them, and the last one is about my limit towing boats, I leave that to the pros!

All of them on the way to the ramp, well the last pic had its motor hung on it, then went to the ramp- but you get the idea.
Then that boat got itself a very deserving brand new dual axle bunk trailer, that old trailer was scarry!

Buju

Post by Buju »

The second boat ( says Sport Craft )has an interesting hull.
What size is that?
I've never seen a sportcraft like that, kinda looks like an older Rampage hull.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Raybo Marine NY

thats a 36 sportcraft. There were 9 of them made, we believe that to be hull #1, its built like a brick shit house, glass on the gunwales is almost a inch thick. The core is rotted out almost completly and yet there is not a single crack anywhere on them.
Repowered from gassers with yanmars, and we did a total ripout and redesign/refit of the interior, dash panels, electronics, and painted everything but the dash with imron. The stripes are reflective like a fire truck because he is involved with his local fire department.

Interior is a combo of gelcoated walls, headliner is fabric, teak and holly on the deck, cabinets are cherrywood, black apliences, and counters are corian

that was my first big job after purchasing Raybo from my old boss, im looking at the picture of it in the shop and I can see how much of the shop I changed since the picture, the 20 new 4 and 6 bulb high efficiency light fixtures being the most functional for me, some of that boat I was spraying at 2am- kind of dark in there at that time!

Image[/img]
Buju

Post by Buju »

Nice job... The first is always the best, right?
Again, interesting hull.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Good photos, thanks for sharing. What's the story on the mid-70s Boston Whaler 21' Outrage......looks like a commercial towing boat? I have one of them and love it for messing around in the shoals and such.

Tommy
Raybo Marine NY

not commercial, just a guy who let me do as I wanted with the boat and he paid the bill, great customer. BTW- thats his Tiara also, did not want bottom paint on it anymore.

well at least I dont have to feel bad about hijacking someone else's thread. They are not bertram pics but truthfully we have not had to do any major work to any 31s for quite some time, there is one here now but we are still not sure how far we are going to go with it.

I meant to tell you guys about a guy I use for dash panels, super reasonable and quick turnaround, these were simple panels he made for the sportcraft, prewired all the switches too.

the 250 etec really makes the whaler fly

we eventually got to touch 60 with 2 people and 50 gallons of fuel, otherwise it hits 59 like its on cruise control and stops there

we ended up changing the rear tow bar ( for tubing, not for towing boats )

the inspiration for the project

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Outstanding work.........thanks for the additional info. My little Whaler flys with a Suzuki 140 4-stoke.......can't imagine the windburn with a 250!

Tommy
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Nice work. That Whaler really came up nice.
randall

Post by randall »

really nice!!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Wow, nice! Got to love that balsa coring, huh!! I pity the poor fools that police boat had been alongside!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Raybo Marine NY

cat diesels in that whaler, they said they would bounce the boat off whatever they wanted, now they were pissed because they would have to be carefull with it- but I bet its trashed again.

that was a faired aluminum boat, 2 companies made those for whaler, one faired everything, made 2 boats and went out of business, the other I guess just welded them and painted them so they stayed in business.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

robbie i don`t know had we got sidetracked here but i was speaking of trailering a 25 bertram as oppose to a 31bertram cc.my experiance with a big float on trailer is my 28' cigarette.big blocks removed engine well glassed in,small bracket and a pair of counter rotation modified mercury 225hp.boat was solid hand laid glass. could not believe someone actually put the deck on and glassed the entire top deck to hull with woven roven.removing boat from water was a nightmare.triple axle trailer (34') with drop the rear wheel off the edge of ramp(trench formed by water washing away fill at end of ramp.i had to have rear wheels this deep for boat to clear bunks. that is why i said you be better off with 25 bert.a pro would be the best of course but this is on a weekly basics to use boat.not fesible to hire pro every time you want to take your boat for a ride.this real documented 28' cigarette was one of the most solid boats i have ever driven.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

1978 cigarette;
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Raybo Marine NY

Tom Ray used to trailer his 38 scarab in and out, he would take the boat out of the water every 2 weeks, scrub the imron bottom, leave it out for a few days, and drop it back in- a hassle but do-able even with the shallow south shore waters.

The rest of the pictures here were thrown in "just because" !

but definitly the 25 is the way to go if you plan on moving the boat around yourself and dont need the larger cabin