gelcoat vs. paint pictures finally

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rocky

gelcoat vs. paint pictures finally

Post by Rocky »

Hi guys, finally got some pics of the effected areas of thin gelcoat. The forward sections look like they need to be done sooner than later! Judging by these ,looks like Imron still wins?
Rocky.[/img]ImageImageImageImage
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

just make sure any crazed gelcoat is removed, and be sure to prime and seal up those raw areas well, if you paint over those areas there will be alot of perousity.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thank you Raybo, I needed that info from someone that sounds like he does this a lot. Would you say taking off the forward top hatch is a good matching piece to bring to the Imron dealer?(Polished to the true color of course) Capt. Pat says the "Oyster" color of Awlgrip is close to Bertram's gelcoat color, and to match that with Imron's color. I also asked about possably a small amount of flattening agent to mellow out the high gloss that doesn't match gelcoat's "luster". Have you always just sprayed Imron without this or does the agent seem like a good idea?
Thanks again in advance, Rocky.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

a flat or semi gloss surface will not reflect light and heat as well as gloss, I have confirmed that flat areas will generate more heat with meter readings. Meaning they will not age as well. Use them only on interior surfaces.

just pick a color close to what you have on the color chart, but dont go custom. If you go custom you will always be stuck with that color and having to have someone custom mix it, also if you went with any flattening agent it makes spraying larger areas more difficult and you will have to make sure that future repairs have the same level of flattening agent in them.

a close color for your white is 55769, im not a fan of oyster white as its a bit too dark and yellow for my tastes. I feel like you should paint what you have in the color you want the rest of the boat to look like, not match 30+ year old gelcoat
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thank you again Raybo, I understand the flattening agent would be a problem later, I'll just imron it factory color direct spray on.
Rocky.
randall

Post by randall »

hey raybo....my friend eds 25 is over there, i hear....neat boat ,eh?