transom issues?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill G.

transom issues?

Post by Bill G. »

Anybody know of transom problems with 28's,rot?.Seem to have a area where the rear bilge pump sits that holds a pocket of water and seeps out looks like it does finally drain hoping it's just a pocket under shelf of the bilge pump.Don't know if that's an area that could have a rot issue with water laying there.Thankful for you guys who have more smarts than I.
TXS..............Bill G.
cmccool

Post by cmccool »

Hi Bill

There is no wood in your transom. I drilled a hole at the low point of the transom for a drain plug, so can attest to that first hand.

Your bilge pump may be sitting on some wood but that is not a structural issue.

If the water is draining somewhere, you should try to figure out where. Perhaps you had a transom transducer at one time and the mounting holes weren't filled properly.

Cheers
Cliff
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Could it be water trickling down from your rudder packings. Mine sometimes seep for a few hours after I park it then it dries up.

Eddy G.
Bill G.

transom issues

Post by Bill G. »

Forgot to mention it's on blocks
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

i know exactly you're problem. the bilge pump gets mounted to a wedge shaped piece of plywood. It is glassed in but the plywood connects to the wooden keel strip that runs all the way up. My boat has been on the hard for 3 yrs now and water is still coming out. The wood is not structural in any way excpet that it supports the bilge pump. So to keep srews from backing out of rotted plywood i removed it and built up a wedge with thickened epoxy. i also drained out the keel as much as possible. Cuz once i glassed it in the water had no where to go and when it froze it cracked part of the repair. since i've made the most recent fixes i've had 0 problems. i hope this helps you. like i said other than aggravation the wood even in the keel is in no way structural.