... And now for something completely different...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Buju

... And now for something completely different...

Post by Buju »

complete with 'tiller steering'
2 Lee's flush rodholders
3 rod teak rocket launcher
'running lights' front & rear
stainless security chain
rear teak deck w/ s.s edging
teak beer holder and "catchall

..only in the Keys...
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

You would think with all the bright work someone would have put a little elbow grease to those rims! Whats the world coming to?

Mark
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

With only one road no GPS, right?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Only thing needed now is a center rigger and a Lewis kite...

Back in the early eighties I often fished the old Seven Mile bridge out of a 210 Datsun wagon, on the Pidgeon Key section, and rigged a kite, using small snapper and grunt for live bait. Fond memories...

The Keys were always famous for thinking out of the box on a budget.
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

That would be perfect for the Bahamas, with those little lizards, put out a killer spread, SC red and white Bass Assassin, LC Rootbeer tout tail, and the for the SG a Electric Chicken. Let the games begin!! Just go from one bar to the next trying not to laugh your ass off and fall off.

Rob C

Back off PETA there are no hooks..... of course.
"sometimes you go 8 sometimes you hit dirt"

Rob C
neil

Post by neil »

capt patrick,i too fished that bridge in the early 80s but i was in my 22 ft sailboat on the way from naplles to the tortugas by myself ohh to be young again
randall

Post by randall »

cool.... i saw some variations on that theme in cuba. i saw inner tubes with rod holders.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I once saw a guy ice fishing from a kayak.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Buju

Post by Buju »

Story behind it:

My neighbor is a big guy(300+lbs) and partially disabled...Not too sure to what extent. He either can't, or doesn't drive. He is one of the most diehard fishermen I've ever meet. Spends 99% of his free time at bridges, creeks, on the headboat, etc. Often shows up at my house at night while I'm out by the firepit w/ a rummer & a cigar to give me a fresh mutton snapper, grouper, etc.
This was his trike, found it curbside in the trash all rusty and wore out. He had replaced with a new one.
He and I had talked about ways to make his "wheels" more userfriendly in the past (he carries his rods in one arm while steering and has broke more than a few) and I thought this was a perfect opportunity to secretly trick out the trike for him.
So I grabbed it, disassembled it, did the neccesary repairs. Since I had it broke down I decided to grind off the rust, ospho the frame, and prime/paint it with some surplus HPA paint I've got laying around.Then I started the "marinization process"... almost everthing on the bike is surplus marine hardware I had laying around...Old rodholders, teak engine hatches, ss bimini top hrdwr, etc, etc. Much of it off the B25 & B20.
As of now my actual out of pocket expense is a whoppin' $26. New seat was $20, and I had to get a "ahooooga" squeeze horn for $6...Oh, and about a 1/4 of a can of red CX...of course.
Buis. has been very slow for me, so I've had the time over the last week and 1/2 to screw around w/ it in my spare time. Good excuse to enjoy our warm weather and drink a beer or two to remain hydrated.

Anyways, he caught on to me, and inevitably started to feel like a jackass for throwing it away. I told him my plan was to give it back to him, and he pretty much declined, asking instead if I'd make his current trike more fishing friendly... "of course" I say.
Which, I guess works out nice cause my son thinks it's the coolest thing since video games, and I'm kinda diggin' it myself. So, the current plan is just like Patrick hinted to... Keys bridge fishing. Can be alotta fun, catch everthing from grunts, kings, grouper, permit, all the way up to giant sharks, with the right gear (you should see some of the gear guys haul way out there... 130's on 'broom sticks' with full harness' and such)
SO, now I'm keeping an eye out for a old radio-flyer (or something similar) to use as a blank canvas for a trailer to haul a med. cooler, and the 5gal "baitwell". Plan to remove the front axle and wheels, and put bike wheels on the rear axle, and attach it to the trike frame with some sorta homemade hitch.
It's fun to have a little freetime every now and again.
Wish I had the $$ to buy materials for the B20, cause I'd sure as hell rather be working on that... but whatever.

MarkS... I was gonna do the rims too, but the amount of time involved... and they're already too far gone, the rust'd come right back. We've got more salt in our damn air than you've got on your roads in winter. Keeping an eye out for some aluminum wheels that'd fit...

Brew... You got it Skipper.Am considering a little lawn tractor battery for actual running lights and a vhf though... maybe tunes as well. Using the ipod on a little portable stereo unit now.

Patrick... Center rigger sounds like a good shock and awe addition. Put a kite reel (old senator) on the frame to run the kite. Kite bait off the 'launcher' and bottom baits off the 'flatlines"

RobC... absolutley. Them Bahamian curly tails are good eats... right?? I've actually had two guys try to buy it off me while riding it w/ my pointer towing me. One was a Bahamian, not a big surprise.

Sorry for the looooong winded off topic thread... But I thought some of ya'll might get a good laugh from it... Only in the Keys...
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

good ol curly tails. I worked on Big Pine back in 85' or so at Sea Camp, put down a few cold ones at the Pelacan, good times for sure, crrrrazy Conchs! They gave us Texan's a run for our money.
"sometimes you go 8 sometimes you hit dirt"

Rob C
randall

Post by randall »

mike ohlstein wrote:I once saw a guy ice fishing from a kayak.....

he didnt catch anything but it made a good photo. i almost went yesterday...high 60s at my house