28 Bertram Pics

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scooter28

28 Bertram Pics

Post by scooter28 »

Anyone interested in checking out my progress on my 28ft bertam "Short Notice" i've finally got some of the many pics put up on photobucket. I also included some pics from relining my fuel tanks.

Just a little info about myself and my boat I started this project about 3yrs ago when i was 23yrs old. I've since been married, had a kid, and managed to get my coast guard captains license. So thats partly the reason for the 3yrs. haha

I was able to acquire a used pair of 350's that had seen partial water submersion. I rebuilt both motors, completly stripped out everything below deck. I replaced the engine beds and bulkhead walls. I look forward to any constructive criticism, just keep in mind im 26 and this is my first boat i've overhauled.haha

If anyone is interested in specific pics of anything just ask i prolly have just haven't got to the point of gettin em on the site. Thanks!

heres the link http://s669.photobucket.com/albums/vv54/coogansp/
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Scooter wrote:I started this project about 3yrs ago when i was 23yrs old. I've since been married, had a kid, and managed to get my coast guard captains license. So thats partly the reason for the 3yrs. haha

Ohhhh.......to be young again....

I think you have done good...your work looks pretty clean....

I have a concern on your exhaust......its my opinion....that the fiberglass elbow on the inboard side of both engines may be to Sharp of a bend and to close to the manifold.

I am afraid that the exhaust may not be mixed completely with the water well enough to prevent a hot spot and thus burn thru the fiberglas.

I base my thoughts on......once I put new hoses on an old Chris Craft and pulled the hose to sharp and it DID burn thru the hose.....after lengthening and repositioning the hose the problem was solved

Harry
hb
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Looking good. My favorite picture has to be the sanding party. Lots of work but when you get it in the water it is worth it. If you need any pics or ideas let me know. Not an expert but been through the whole deal. Amost 4 years and just getting the finishing touches done.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Looks like you've got things rolling pretty good. Those are some beefy rudder shelves, they'll hold up well to a set of oversized rudders.

Love to see you this summer a the Chesapeake Rendezvous!!

br,
JohnD
randall

Post by randall »

i wouldnt worry about the exhaust (bruce?) mine is twice as radical and no problems in 25 years since she was repowered.

nice work...looks good!!
Carl

Post by Carl »

I'd let you work on my boat...

As Harry said the angle from the riser is a possible concern and the rise itself looks kind of gradual, the area the exhaust goes thru the bulkhead needs to have some chafe guard or held away, the engines move and the bulkheads do not.

Could be the pictures and I'm not familar with the layout of the 28, so just a quick observation from pictures.

Looks good,
Carl
Harv

Post by Harv »

The caption said you haven't heard from these guys since.
Having done my 26 center console and my B31 in back to back seasons, by myself, I can understand their mindsets.
Never again, as far as I'm concerned. I will pay to have someone else do it.
Harv
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Lots of work.

What's with the cinder block and 4x6 jack stands?
Regards,

Doug L.
randall

Post by randall »

that does look a little sketchy to me also.....nothing will ruin your day like dropping a boat on a friend.
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

ok i got a few minutes i'll reply to some of the comments as far as the exhaust goes the inboard exhaust elbows are roughly 40 degrees. I went on centek's website which manufactures fiberglass exhaust elbows and looked at the dimensions for their 45 degrees elbows. I'm actually better than they are as far as to tight of a turn. I also was going to puchase they're elbows but when i looked at the price per fitting then looked at the price for a length of tube i decided to make my own. Then that way i could get exactly what i wanted. One of the mistakes i made was ordering the shafts shorter than desired which caused the engines to have to sit closer to the bulkhead than i wanted. Which limited my options on exhaust, so while i wanted to make as gradual of turns as possible i kinda didn't have much of a choice.

Also in regards to concerns on chafing after i removed the exhaust after initial mockup i clearanced the bulkhead more around the tubing. I will still keep in mind on the chafing thought. Thanks

Lastly and most importantly before you all start thinking im trying to kill my friends an anyone else who gets close to the boat. The cinder blocks are not supporting the boat. They are holding down the 4x4's which is holding a rope, which i secure the tarp to. I don't have a shop big enough for the boat so use a big tarp bungied to the rope to make it easy to remove and also keep bungie's from smacking against the boat.

The boat is supported by railroad tie cribbing and the only 4x4 providing support is placed in the middle for added reasurance. So far its done great for 3yrs. haha
randall

Post by randall »

thats good to hear....my exhaust has a 90 degree bend and it works fine.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Harry wrote:Sharp of a bend and to close to the manifold

I am more concerned that the bend is close to the exhaust riser discharge than I am with the fact that its a 40 or 45 degree elbow.

I don't see the elbow being a particular problem other than its located pretty close to the riser discharge.

The hot exhaust and water have to travel several inches together (I don't know exactly far) before any hot spots are completely elimated and the total exhaust temprature is reduced to a couple of hundred degrees or so.

Please accept MY OPINION here constructively.....no harm intended.....looks like you are doing a good job and you certainly should pat yourself on the back.......you doin good! ! !

Harry
hb
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

Harry Babb wrote:
Please accept MY OPINION here constructively.....no harm intended.....looks like you are doing a good job and you certainly should pat yourself on the back.......you doin good! ! !

Harry
No problem harry thanks alot for you're opinion thats why i put these pics up. I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say since alot of you are way more experienced than I. As far as the elbow being close to the riser that's something i'm gonna have to pay close attention to. There may be one or two things i could do different. I'm gonna look into it and see if its possible. Thanks for everyone's help. I'm gonna hopefully get some more pics up soon.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Actually, since you used the corregated style hose, you probably could have eleminated the fiberglass joint altogether...

scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

i tried to use just the flex hose actually thinking i could i ordered 12ft of the stuff planning to run the entire exhaust with it and i only used 5ft. My problem was the bends i needed to make the hose wouldn't alow or alot of pressure was needed to make it bend. And with the risers so close to the bulkhead with a gas tank behind it, i couldnt clearance the bulkhead to reduce the angle.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Gotcha'...