Sunglass's

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

Sunglass's

Post by Tony Meola »

I have been wearing Prescription Costa Del Mars for about 15 years and due to a new prescription its time for an update, plus its time to update those 15 year old frames they keep putting new lenses in.

I am hearing that there are problems with Costa Del Mar's so I was wondering what those in the know are using. I checked on Maui Jim's but they will not match my prescription. I just fall outside of their range.

All thoughts are appreciated.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

tony
i have been using the clip ons for a couple of years, saves buying 2 pair of glasses, just a thought
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Tony,
I used to have the Vuarnet's made with my prescription. Very nice, but they got really pricey (last pair was well over $600) having them ground in "Poly vue" and then sent here. Last pair I just bought the frames and the local eye Dr. put his own lenses in. Still nice but those Vuarnet lenses were the cats a$$. I think they were Nautilux specifically for water glare.

Just not a big fan of those frenchies anymore!

Did you here the white flag factory burned down in Paris the other day!
Litterally rendered the French army helpless! (or more helpless)

I think I heard that here.

Anyway good luck,
Mark
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
randall

Post by randall »

im with mark....i dont wear prescription glasses....but by far the best sunglasses i have ever owned have been vuarnets (including the red ones). choice of the snowbird ski patrol.....they deal with some big glare.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Tony,

Which frames of Coste's do you have? I have 2 pair of Coste prescritions,
the Fathomn and Ex-frame's that have been good but from time used both on the water and off...you have to replace the side rubbers on both styles of the frames but other than that...I really like mine.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Capt.

I have an old pair of black Nylon frames. If I remember right they were a sport frame, I would say almost an Aviator style. They don't make them anymore.

Loved them, but I have heard stories of the lenses delaminating, that's why the question, otherwise I would have just purchased Costa's again.

In my youth when I skied and wore contacts I had a pair of Vuarnets. I think I still have them around somewhere.

Charlie, do the clip ons work well? Really looking for something that cuts that glare.

Thanks for the advise.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Tony- I got a pair of polarized clip-ons from Orvis that I've used over my prescriptions and have found them not only satisfactory, but also convenient as they fit into a very thin slip-in case that fits in your shirt breast pocket easily. They weren't expensive at all. If there's an Orvis shop nearby with a fishing department, they may have them there to try out. Walter
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

walter
iam glad iam not the only cheap one
randall

Post by randall »

vuarnets on ebay...got two pair....five dollars each. (well, caren did)
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I'm a Maui fan. Too bad they won't do it.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

tony
they work fine, i got the brown lenses, good for seeing bunker
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Thanks guys. I will have to search around. I know of a place down on Long Beach Island that makes polarized clipons. Don't know how good they are band the place is only open in the summer. Which by my calculations is hopefully right around the corner.

This winter is getting to be too long and we are only half way through it.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

tony
try this place, its where i got mine
www.clipons.com
joeh

Post by joeh »

Tony,

I just got a pair of prescription costas...the Blackfins. I ended up getting the best lenses I could put in by my optician. I tried like hell to find someone that would put the good Coste lenses in but their program really sucks and none new what they were talking about.

If you do buy a pair and get lenses cut, make sure they use a special cutter that makes the corners in the lenses tight. Otherwise your lenses will be loose and drive you nuts. I hope this helps.

Joe
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Appreciate all the information. I am going to look around and probably give Charlies place a call and see what they have to say. Never really was a fan of clip ons but now that the eyes are geting older its harder and harder to get the good ones in my prescription.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I have the Ray Ban with bifocal lenses. I got them becaues they look cool. I was hoping to look cool but it just didn't work for me.
A/K/A El Gaupo
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Might not be what you're looking for but I saw a blurb in Sport Fishing on Habervision's Kenai Polarized Bi-focals. I'm thinking of getting a non-prescription pair for fishing and boating. Can't attest to their quality or comfort.

http://www.habervision.com/sunglasses/rx.aspx
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

Thanks. First time I ever heard of them. I just spoke to an outfit at the AC boat show called Sharktested. They hand Costa's and Ocean Wave. Not sure exactly what the deal is but he said that they use a lab that uses the Costa lense's to make the prescriptions.

I am going to have to call around then weigh out all the options including Dick's clip ons.

Tough getting old. First the eyes go then its down hill from that point on.
CatEquipt

Costa

Post by CatEquipt »

Tony,
Give me a shout at Tackledirect...I have a great contact inside Costa who may be able to answer your questions. We also stock all the high end brands Kaenon, Smith Optics, Maui Jim, Costa and Spotters. If we can't get your Costa questions answered we can def get your prescription in a different brand.

Fred Haas
609 788 3825
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Fred

Thank You for the offer. I never thought of checking out what you might be able to do. If I decide to go the expensive route again I will give you a call.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

This info might be a little late for some of you, but the current issue (March 2009) of "Sport Fishing" magazine has an article on sunglasses.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!