shaft strut backing plates

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bermuda Brother

shaft strut backing plates

Post by Bermuda Brother »

Hey guys and Pat,

I was wondering if the use of pvc board as the core material for the strut backing plates would be acceptable in place of plywood?
If so what thicknes board, how many layers and what size/area plate to use?

JJ
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

JJ,

NO! This is one place that a properly installed and epoxy glassed plywood will, at least in my opinion, be the best choice. PVC Foam board doesn't have anywhere near the strength & bonding characteristics of the ply.

Br,

Patrick
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Not sure if they ship overseas but you can also use 1/2 thick fiberglass sheet that you can order from Mcmastercarr. That's what we used.
www.mcmaster.com/
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

or titanium from yard metals.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

actually yarde metals 999 motor parkway ny
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Sorry, still just my opinion, but for cost, material availability, shock absorption, and strength, epoxy glassed plywood, is still king for the strut pads....
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

CaptPatrick wrote:Sorry, still just my opinion, but for cost, material availability, shock absorption, and strength, epoxy glassed plywood, is still king for the strut pads....
That is one important consideration. The Capt is correct, if you use titanium, or any other metal really, you will have, for all intents and purposes, zero shock absorbtion or flex. That means all stresses, when they occur, will tranfer to your hull. Meaning the hull will flex much more. Even worse, they will be flexing where the edges of the block contact the hull, resulting in small forces having substantial leverage.

But if you really want to use ti you can get random pieces on ebay. Also several distributors that sell "surplus" ti on the net.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Just because metal is harder, (denser), than plywood it is not as strong as plywood in relation to a strength to weight ratio... Metal also isn't going to bond as well with epoxy as wood because there is no penetration of the epoxy beyond the surface.

Then there's the issue of memory. Unless the metal has been sufficiently hardened, either by work or heat, an impact will move the metal, but the metal will resist the effort to return to it's original placement, (malleability). Metal is fine to use as a backing plate so that nuts and bolts can be torqued down without depressing into softer materials, (load spreading).

While more bondable through the use of epoxy, solid fiberglass plate will have more tendency to fracture under high impact than plywood, is far heavier than plywood in the same thickness. Solid fiberglass is still a better choice than metal.

Remember, the whole purpose for changing the original strut pads, as I have described, is to:

1. Increase the the thickness over that of what Bertram installed. The thicker a composite becomes, (in this case the distance between the strut plate and the backing plate), the more rigid it becomes. Simple compression and tension theory for any composite structure: Basic Composite Structures

2. Increasing the surface area over that of what Bertram installed. Increasing the surface area decreases the load of an impact by allowing the larger reinforced area to dissipate the shock further.

3. Increase the bonding strength between the pad and the fiberglass hull by using epoxy, (over Bertram's Bondo Blob technique).

4. Based also on #1, two layers of 1/2" plywood, bonded together with a layer of biaxle or even 0/90º roving will be stronger than one piece of 1" plywood, (just glueing two 1/2" pieces together).

5. Accomplish this modification with materials and techniques readily availabe, and as cost efficientlly, to anyone, anywhere, in the world.

My story and I'm stickin' to it...
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the titanium was not meant to lay directly on the bilge floor i would first put unthicken expoxy on all sides of 3/4" coosa board then laminate to ground until green floor. then expoxy/cabosil/mill fiber sandwich.then the titanium goes on there would be no way in hell i would attemp to waterproof direct titanuim to bilge floor.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bermuda Brother

Hi Pat and gentlemen and thanks for the resposes.

So Pat, I will use the ply as I am not a titanium kinda guy!

Would 2 pieces of 1/2 inch ply bonded with biaxial be ok for the strut pad?

Also how big do the pads need to be minimum?

Take Care,

JJ
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

JJ,

Follow this link and all will be answered: http://bertram31.com/proj/struts/strut_backing.htm The first part encompasses the repair on Richard's boat after the strut was driven through the hull. You won't be doing that; just pick up where the strut pad installation starts...

Forget about minimums, the bigger you make 'em the better they'll work. Twice as large as Bertram did.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Capt. Pat never considered the shattering view point of a fiberglass pad when we did ours. Trying to move away from potential rot and figured if they did it at the factory today, they probably would have used galss of some type. But your point is well taken, and I am too far along to grind it out and start over. It might shatter, but I don't see the strut comming up through the hull creating a sinking situation. Not sure if you can ever completely protect against that happining.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Naw, Tony, you're fine with the way you did it. Don't even consider back tracking. You certainly better off than wearing those worthless Bertram pads...

Actually, you'd be amazed at the amount of plywood still being used in large boat plants today. The real difference is in HOW they are using it compared to the dark ages of the B31.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Capt. Pat

Thanks takes one more worry of what I might have done wrong off my list. Trying to follow your pattern as best as possible.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Bermuda Brother wrote:Hi Pat and gentlemen and thanks for the resposes.

So Pat, I will use the ply as I am not a titanium kinda guy!

Would 2 pieces of 1/2 inch ply bonded with biaxial be ok for the strut pad?

Also how big do the pads need to be minimum?

Take Care,

JJ
If you would have read what bob wrote, you would have realized that the titanium is a backer that goes over the plywood, not a total replacement for the ply...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Whaler1777 wrote: If you would have read what bob wrote, you would have realized that the titanium is a backer that goes over the plywood, not a total replacement for the ply...
Whaler, do you just troll here to hassle people?
Bermuda Brother

That's all cool guys. No offense taken just part of the cut and thrust of the sandbox. I appreciate all of the contributions and really respect Bob for what he's done. In my case I don't feel like doing all of the modifications to optimize the 370's and will keep shaft angle the same and just under utilize the top end a bit.

All is cool and the engines might even last longer.

All is cool.

JJ
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

JJ where are you in Bermuda? I have some friends down there. Been twice and enjoyed it, stayed at The Reefs.

Can't wait to see pics of the boat.
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

We did ours as Capt. Pat recommends. I was going to use the NY Telephone directory but it was just too big. Follow Capt. Pat's advice.
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

I'm love to work with PVC....in fact I replaced all the wood inside my boat with PVC covered in formica......completely trust Capt. Pat on this one...........
Bermuda Brother

Hey J,
I am in the western end of the island though this is a bit of a joke as Bermuda is only 22 miles long!

I will start taking pics of the project and post them if this is easy enough.

Gonna spray her all Oyster White but in Imron! Resoring her to as original spec as poss. gonna be a sweatie!

JJ