Emergency tire inflating

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

Emergency tire inflating

Post by Bruce »

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://technology.todaysbigthing.com/be ... llscreen=1" width="480" height="360"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain"> <param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"> <param name="movie" quality="best" value="http://technology.todaysbigthing.com/be ... llscreen=1"> </object>
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Pretty neat trick, just be sure to have a can of ether on hand before you need to inflate a tire. This would come in handy especially for those little cheapie tires. I've had to re-inflate the ones on my small garden tractor trailer and it's a real bitch to get that first puff of air to hold. 'Course I slimed the hell out of 'em after the last go-around so don't expect that problem again...
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

We ve done the bobcats like that.lotta flats.. Before the solids.Forget about it.
Wayne
Hey did you see the tv fix with a baseball bat
randall

Post by randall »

that was pretty cool. i just caulk the bead on the wheelbarrow tire to get it started.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Pretty cool. What's the science behind why it works? Is it because O2 is fuel for the fire?
Regards,

Doug L.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

dougl33 wrote:Pretty cool. What's the science behind why it works? Is it because O2 is fuel for the fire?
It's probably starting fluid......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The accelerant (starter fluid, etc) and O2 burns, superheats the air, it expands and causes the tire to expand and seal.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

The expansion from the "explosion" causes the bead to seat so that you can then add air from a compressor. This just seats the bead.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Hey Y'all, watch this!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Errrrrrrr.....

What were the idiots last words?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Here! ! !.........ya'll hold my beer and watch this sh*t.........

(Its a suthen thang!!)

H
hb
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

You guys may find this very interesting..........it actually happened to a friend of mine......I know the guy and story first hand.

The front tire on the truck was leaking. Started out to be a slow leak.....just add air every week or so. As time went on the leak became larger and required air more frquently so my friend just added "Fix A Flat"....that helped but did not stop the leak. So over time he added more air and more "Fix A Flat".

One day he happened to notice that the Rim was cracked. The rims were the White sort of Spoke rims that were popular in the 70's. You still see this kind of rim on utility trailers today.

He thought that the thing to do was weld up the crack and he made an attempt to do so without removing the tire....obviously not a good decision....hind sight is always 20/20

BOOM ! ! !

When he struck an arc....the mixture of PROPANE (fix a flat propellant) and air inside the tire exploded. The explosion actually partially dismounted the tire, it folded his welding shield inside out, it cut off part of his chin, it ruptured both ear drums, detached the retina in one of his eyes and knocked him unconscious. His dad was dove hunting in a field nearly a mile away and heard the explosion.

Just a little something all of us tinkerers need to know.

Another story with a similiar ending is our Accetlyene Bombs......I will tell that story on another day........

Harry
hb