MDO

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

thuddddddd

MDO

Post by thuddddddd »

for interior flooring? Been told by a few people that this is all the craze. I need replace the floor, in the lower area of the tubb. Little to no water gets down there. Even less will as I'm glassing in the portholes
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Timmy,

MDO, (medium density overlay), is usually, but not always, an exterior grade plywood with a paper surface glued on with phenolic glue. It comes both single and double faced. As long as you make sure that what you're getting is truly exterior grade ply and the facing glue is phenolic, then you're ok. But, the sole is going to be exposed to the bilge on the under side and therefore must be sealed against moisture absorption, including all the edges. Laminated wood flooring could be an ecconomical option.

MDO is primarily designed to be a smooth surface material suitable for painting without much prep or sanding. It's not designed as a traffic capable surface by itself. You'll need to consider what material you'll need to lay over the MDO to be used as a cabin sole.

You may also want to use double faced, (MDO on both faces), and still seal the back side & edges with epoxy. Sealing off the cabin bilge from the cockpit bilge, leaving an operable emergency port between the two, will further make this choice OK.

At least for an old tubbbbb....

Br,

Patrick
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Use particle board and after finishing wet it down.

That way it swells and fills all those cut gaps.
randall

Post by randall »

i think by the description that is what we call sign board. ive left scraps of it outside for years with no apparent structural degradation. now im into azak but i have built boat parts out of it with no problems to date.

bruce...isint that homesote that you really meant to spec.....i think spackle is good for fillin holes and irregularities.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Timmyyyyyyyyyyyy;

When I was a kid Roger Fritz(local teak and cabinet guru) built an electronics box for our old Robalo out of double sided MDO. I finished it with awlgrip and for the next 8 years it sat uncovered year round. Other then the raw edges showing some wear it was fabulous.

Once sealed up that stuff lasts a long time. When Roger(Same gure he did our gunnels and teak cabinets in the boat too) redid our galley we used the same product in the 31. Think about using it in thinner forms for walls and stuff as well. With a little primer and paint it finishes like a sheet of glass without much work. Right up your alley I think. As for a floor I'd just as soon use a smooth marine ply and put a laminate on top. think we've got enough amtico left to do your galley and head if needed.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

JP- Where did you get the Amtico from? I'm looking for the Teak and holly strips and can't get anyone to respond to me. Walter
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Manasquan Flooring carried it. I googled distributors and found a local one.

You'll have to buy in the minimum quantity which is why we have enough to do CHIMERA 3 times over maybe 4. But you know what they say, better to have to much than not enough.
If you buy some remember to work fast with the glue and carry lots of blue tape and paper weights to keep the seems tight. The stuff cut easy with a formica bit.
Its wearing well for all the traffic it gets, no marks yet. I like it.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Walter,

I've got a buddy here in P'cola, that is in the flooring business is where I bought mine for the B31 interior and it works great on the walls too. Tell me how many sq. ft you want and I'll get you a price with the glue.

It looks like the real thing and works like non-skid too.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I am looking to do the center inside floor and the starboard side floor around the sink/fridge, lower steering station on a Sportsfisherman. Don't know quite how to figure for waste as I don't know the lengths it comes in. I do have a good diagram. The stuff I have samples on Teak strips W699 WLNN 2" UNBEV.
W793 WEN 1/4" UNBEV. My basic calculations tell me I'm covering about 52 square feet. If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to know what I'd be looking at in $$$. Walter
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Walter,

It comes in 3' length's and can be cut with a good sharpe pair of scissors and is glued down with their brand of glue. I spent around $500 for everything including freight. I'll shoot you some pictures of mine and send them to you.

I did the center floor & under the table & v-berth and will be doing the dash also.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

DQ,
I also would be interested. I cough not found a supplier localy a couple of years back.

Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Capt. Frank,

I will send you the some pictures also when I send them to Walter and info. on where to purchase it from. It is the same place I purchase mine. It's really very easy to install and looks great to boot. Great stuff for the price and look. Just remember to stager your planks to give you that real look when you install it.

R,
DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Walter & Capt. Frank,

Here are the pictures of my Amtico flooring in my boat. The V-Berth has a removeable piece thats comes out or like you see for a full bed. Have not done the dash yet. Also the hatch just inside the doorway has not been finish yet either.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

DQ: What is the square teak piece screwed to the floor under the table for? Just curious!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Rawleigh,

Had to cut a access hole to get underneath the A/C unit and also reconnect a bonding strap. It was easier for me to do that instead pulling the whole floor up.

I'll dress it up better with some scrap Amtico....now I have access anytime I need to that area. Not totally done yet with the interior, got delayed when I broke my arms. Will be finishing things up soon. I figured somebody would wonder what that was about.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Capn' Tony

Post by Capn' Tony »

Guys, Why can't I view the Pics posted all I see are RED X for each shot?
Thanks
Thanks
Capn' Tony
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Tony,

An image presented on a web page, or even as a direct URL, has to be called from some other source on the web. If that source is unavailable, (the hosting site is down, the url is wrong, or other reason), the image will be replaced in your browser with a place holder containing the red X.

If you are consistently having difficulties seeing an image, (the red X), then the problem could be with your browser, or it's options setup. First thing to try is: Place your cursor over the red X, right click, from the dialog box select Show Picture. That will refresh only the web call for the image. If it still goes back to the red X, then it's either not available, temporarily or permanently, or your browser may be having issues.

Is every image on this page missing, or just ones in the replies?

Does this red X happen all over the web when you visit other sites, is it just occasionally, frequently, or almost always? What sort of Internet connection do have? Dialup, cable, DSL, satellite?

Br,

Patrick