Overall opinions 38 special?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

hubris 1

Overall opinions 38 special?

Post by hubris 1 »

I cant stop looking at the boat. I know its a little slow but a repower cant be out of the question.......can it? I may be asking the choir here what song to sing but i am sure ill get honest feelings on it. Is this boat worth buying, is it worth repowering, overall.....what say you. There are a couple on yacht world that still 23 years later have the classic look i like. I like older things well taken care of, so 23 doesnt bother me. It seems you can get alot of value out of this ride if it suits you, or me for that matter. thanks for all info and opinions, alex.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

The 38 Special is the same David Napier hull used for the 38 convertables from 1978-1986. This is also the same basic design used for the 35's, 37's, and 39's. All have a similar beam (13 foot 3 inch), deadrise (17.5-18), and a small keel.

If you like the layout and you can find a clean boat I don't see how you can go wrong.

Most of the guys here have old boats. Mine's an 86 and I couldn't replace it with something brand new for less than $500,000.
Regards,

Doug L.
Harv

Post by Harv »

I like it.
Like a Bahia Mar on steroids.
Harv
Dug

Post by Dug »

Alex,

I love the boat. I think it is a brick.

Great candidate for a re-power as with the detroits it is relatively slow.

You are contemplating what I would love to do.

When you are done, may I please have a ride or two?

Good luck!

Dug
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

beautiful boat. i looked at a couple awhile ago. some are really beat up. engine access is tough. i think they had to go with the v6-71's because of room. one thing i heard was a lot of guys didn't prop them correctly and wasted the engines. for the repower you need to make sure you have enough headroom for the engine.

good luck, nice looking ride.
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Saw one on yachtworld with 450 hp cummins. They fit and I was surprised. I looked at one when I was looking for my 35B. It had a factory blue hull that has hundreds of small delaminations on the hull sides. The sides are cored by the way. I still love the boat; but get a good surveyor to bang the crap out of her.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

There were some issues with available air to the engines. Some of the early 80's boats I remember being afflicted.

I primed and painted a hull with a friend that had had lots of little delam's. Maybe the same one Charlie looked at. The owner took it from the original light blue to an offwhite. That one had a set of Detroits rebuilt and new decks put in it along with a new tower. I looked nice.

All the hull voids were concerning especially after the ugly post. Get a good survey, and test for enough air to the motors.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"