Soda Blasting

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Soda Blasting

Post by Dug »

Anyone here have the bottom of their boat (or anything else...) soda blasted in the NE area recently? If so, what did it cost? Any concerns? Do you need to or should you barrier coat afterwards?

My yard is quoting a soda blast job, barrier coat for me, and then a new bootstripe. Just trying to keep my legs together, though so far they have been great to work with.

Anyone have any feedback? JP, I know you and I spoke this morning. The check will be on its way over the weekend!

Thanks!

Dug
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Dug-Once you have sodablasted the hull, I would opt for the Barrier Coating. Not doing it after your bottom is all stripped down might project some later risk as you did have bottom repairs made. Given the way you take care of Alchemy, I wouldn't leave off the Barrier coat. My opinion. Walter
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Dug,

I did my own soda blast on my hull, depending on which soda you use. There is the soda that does not require a barrier coat, then there is the more abrasive soda that is for more multi layers of hard coated paint.

If you use the more abrasive soda, plan on barrier coating the bottom because it is going to take gelcoat off in some places. A pressure washer needs to be a 5 GPM water flow at least, 7 GPM water flow is even better, soda blasting is all about water flow thru the machine in order to work properly.

I did the more abrasive soda to take mine all the way down to the glass in some places for better inspection of the hull and get all the years of multi layers of paint off, beats sanding if you are the one doing it. Barrier coating on mine is a must.

R,

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

I had planned to blast, barrier coat and paint my B28 this winter. But I had my yard guy recommend a light blast just to remove the old layers of paint followed by primer and paint. He says the B28's aren't prone to blistering (my survey turned up only two) and that there was no reason to remove the gelcoat and incur the cost of barrier coating(s) unecessarily.

Now you guys have me thinking. Might the "light blast" break up the gelcoat and create future problems of its own? Maybe as long as I'm getting the bottom blasted I should just go the extra mile (and expense) of a heavy blast and barrier coating?
ianupton

Barrier Coat

Post by ianupton »

Do it once properly and forget about it.

With the ablatives (even the hard ablatives) there is no reason not to properly do the job then just pressure wash and recoat if necessary.

Depending on how smooth a surface you are going for, the barrier coat itself does not add that much cost (materials and your time if you do it yourself).

Ian.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Walter,

Thanks for the compliment on Alchemy. I do try to keep her up, and a bit every year provides for progress. I would not think of not barrier coating if I end up soda blasting.

That being said, what does it typically cost? Those of you who have done it, what was the ballpark price?

Thanks!

D
neil

Post by neil »

dug i had the bahia moon soda blasted two yrs ago it cost a grand hope all is well neil
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Dug, I sand blasted mine 2 yrs ago. $12.oo per ft. I hung the side curtains and did the ground cover. It took 1 hour, 15 minutes of actual blasting.

The quote for soda was $45.00 a ft.

The hull was good ... needed no fillers.

I put on three coats of barrier coat, Interlux 2000e . You gotta' put the barrier coat on for down the road.

A very important fact is the drying out of the hull . And it takes months in our weather. So my boat came out in October and was blasted. Then the barrier coat went on in April.

The lesson for the day: Do it once! Do it right!
Dug

Post by Dug »

I chatted with the yard manager today between the rain drops (or should I say buckets...)

$60 per foot to soda blast = $18-1900
$28 per foot for barrier coat = $870
$18 per foot for bottom paint = $560

All plus materials = $3330 (plus materials)

Plus mystery price for bootstripe.

Are they out of whack?
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I think that they will pay off the mtg on the yard with your boat work.If they will not let you bring in your own guy, then they have all the cards. Wait 'til next yr and be in a different yard? The boat has to come out next yr anyway ... maybe you can scout around for a better deal.

The Brothers fix cars in the street in Brooklyn. Bring your boat over and get it blasted on Adam Clayton Blvd. Or Martin Luther King Highway in the Bronx. And just leave all the residuals in the street. No one will be the wiser.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Right after I became the Steward of AJ back in the early 90's I had some coonasses sandblast off about 10 layers of bottom paint. They ended up with two 55 gallon drums of paint chips. I asked how they planned to dispose of the hazardous material. One looked at me like I was crazy and said "sheeeee, UV, dat dere stuff going in my driveway".......

Saw Andre' yesterday supervising the digging of a trench to bury the electrical cable to his new boathouse. Looked too much like work for me. Had a delightful Howdy Boat cruise on AJ with some bridwatching friends. Saw enough egrets and herons to make a damn fine gumbo....

We were gonna stop at the Prop Stop for lunch but the place was closed. Dope shipment musta been late...... AJ sure runs a lot better sans the double handful of impeller shreds in the gear coolers...

UV
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

BTW, here's the pricing I rec'd for my B28:

Blast: $560
(4) Barrier: $1120
(3) Bottom: $840

Total: $2520

Alternately they could do only the first bottom coat at $280 and let me do the second and third coats.

Aside from removing the old paint, I am still questioning the wisdom of blasting the gelcoat off a boat without an apparent moisture or blistering problem. It seems like spending a bunch to fix something that's not broken.
Dug

Post by Dug »

I am going to ask a few more yards and maybe do it, maybe not this year. I am not obligated, so we shall see where it eventually lands.

SteveZ, in my case I am not aiming to remove any gelcoat, only the paint. heck, if I leave it alone, it will all fall off anyway! It is falling off at a heck of a clip...

But one more year will not break anything but the bank right now!

We shall see. I am going to call Brewer Street boatworks (Skip Helme) and a couple other places to see how much variation shows up. This is a good yard, but it does seem high. Sure would be better if I could have them make driveway coverage out of it!

Thanks,

D
TailhookTom

Barrier Coat

Post by TailhookTom »

Dug:

Do not use anything but Peter Legnos' barrier coat. It is made out of Vinylester and it is far better than anything else on the market. I know your family and his family are friends, and he is the man to talk to about the project.

Tom
Stuart Cooperrider

Post by Stuart Cooperrider »

Dug,
I received a quote last year from Mass Soda Blast. 508-339-6125. Dave Repoza is his name. 45/foot plus mats. I chose not to go ahead but am considering it again. He said Fall was when they prefer to do it.
-Stu
Dug

Post by Dug »

I called CT soda in Branford, and they quote $35 per foot all done.

That is $1080 with zero impact to the yard, and no involvement either.

Peter Legnos is of the mind that I ought to simply sand with an 8" foam backed pad and use his product to barrier coat as it can be applied all in one day without much problem.

And is applicable in cool weather as well.

And the world continues to spin...
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Dug:

Pressure washing, a couple of good carbide scrapers and then sanding would be the way I would do it. Fairly labor intensive, but gets the job done right the first time.

Tom
Davidr0007

Post by Davidr0007 »

Hi Dug,
Cost me $3700 to have what your intending to do.
Soda Blast, Barrier Coat (West System) and 3 layers Bottom paint
DavidR