New Member here, good morning.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

DoOver

New Member here, good morning.

Post by DoOver »

Hi I'm new. Thanks for letting me on here Capt. Pat. I am looking for a trailerable offshore boat. I have a 17 AqquaSport now. So I am going to mostly lurk and search :-D .
Brian
randall

Post by randall »

welcome aboard....nippy up there today?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Welcome Brian,

Can you give us more to go on...

I have a friend that takes his 28 Donzi offshore, another that will take his 25'Formula out 60-70 miles. Both nice boats and trailerable.

Carl
Buju

Post by Buju »

Come on Sim... them Aronow hulls are good and all, but why not a good ol' Hunt designed B25? The B25 fill's that niche better than most of todays cookie cutter boats (allthough you technically need a 'special permit' to trailer a B25 because of the 10' beam, I've never applied for one and have towed ours back and forth from the Keys to Palm Beach several times w/ no probs)

Other than that, the choices in OB powered c.c's are damn near endless:
Regulator
SeaVee
Conch 27
Contender
Southport
SeaCraft
Bluewater
Jupiter
Everglades
Fountain
etc....etc...etc...

There are considerably less choices in IB or IO powered vessels:
Ablemarle
Shamrock (don't think I'd really call them 'offshore capable' though)
SeaVee (IB diesel)
Carolina Classic
Dorado
sure there quite a few more that aren't comin to mind right now...

And then there are the cats:
Twin Vee
World Cat
Glacier Bay
etc...

What is it that you're looking for in your offshore boat?
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
davidms

Post by davidms »

Brian,

I have a 25 Bertram that I am selling. The boat is in great cosmetic shape. It is a V-drive inboard. It has 318 chrylser engines that need some attention or you can repower if you like. If you want more information, PM me.

Welcome to the site.

David S
randall

Post by randall »

david....wheres the boat? id like to look at it. not to buy...just to compare notes. i might learn something.

BTW brian....i'm a pretty big fan of bertram 25s also. its a real good time to buy one.
DoOver

Post by DoOver »

randall wrote:welcome aboard....nippy up there today?
Hi Randall thanks for the welcome. Nippy is the word. That GOD though we are in a Ski/snowmoblie area. We need the tourists.
Brian
DoOver

Post by DoOver »

sim wrote:Welcome Brian,

Can you give us more to go on...

I have a friend that takes his 28 Donzi offshore, another that will take his 25'Formula out 60-70 miles. Both nice boats and trailerable.

Carl
Hello sim. Thank you for the welcome. I have looked at several boats. There is so much to chose from now.
Brian
DoOver

Post by DoOver »

Buju wrote:Come on Sim... them Aronow hulls are good and all, but why not a good ol' Hunt designed B25? The B25 fill's that niche better than most of todays cookie cutter boats (allthough you technically need a 'special permit' to trailer a B25 because of the 10' beam, I've never applied for one and have towed ours back and forth from the Keys to Palm Beach several times w/ no probs)

Other than that, the choices in OB powered c.c's are damn near endless:
Regulator
SeaVee
Conch 27
Contender
Southport
SeaCraft
Bluewater
Jupiter
Everglades
Fountain
etc....etc...etc...

There are considerably less choices in IB or IO powered vessels:
Ablemarle
Shamrock (don't think I'd really call them 'offshore capable' though)
SeaVee (IB diesel)
Carolina Classic
Dorado
sure there quite a few more that aren't comin to mind right now...

And then there are the cats:
Twin Vee
World Cat
Glacier Bay
etc...

What is it that you're looking for in your offshore boat?
Hello Buju. I looked at conch a few years ago at their shop. I first saw one on TV when Capt. Wjebe[sp] use to run one. The shop had a customers boat in for repairs. I though it showed a lot of stress cracks. The boat is made to be run hard, and this one was. I also stopped at C. Ray Hunts office and shop. We sea trialed a 26? I want to call it a SurfHunter [like the old ones] It had a FI 350 I/O in it. And it was a snotty day. What a nice boat. I didn't like it being cored though. I am very interested in a Shamrock though. Even though it is a completly different type boat. The Shammy is what I am judging my choices to. That's why I'm here. Go fast, or go slowwww? Skim over the water or plow through it?
Brian
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Brian

Welcome. You can also go over to the Bertram 25 site to see what they have done to some of those boats to bring them up to date. There are some that are real sweet and once redone, will probably be better than what is built today.
DoOver

Post by DoOver »

davidms wrote:Brian,

I have a 25 Bertram that I am selling. The boat is in great cosmetic shape. It is a V-drive inboard. It has 318 chrylser engines that need some attention or you can repower if you like. If you want more information, PM me.

Welcome to the site.

David S
Hi David, Thanks for the welcome. Your 25 has two inboard engines? I looked at one 10 years ago. It was on the South Shore of Long Island. I thought it was a 25. The man made it into a center console. That boat had two cut in half 460 Fords on I/O's. We sea trialed it. For some reason the boat wouldn't come on plane.
Are your 318's F'/W's? I am fond of the 318 engine. I had one in an old Lilco ladder truck. I made money with that truck! PM sent.
Brian
DoOver

Post by DoOver »

Tony Meola wrote:Brian

Welcome. You can also go over to the Bertram 25 site to see what they have done to some of those boats to bring them up to date. There are some that are real sweet and once redone, will probably be better than what is built today.
Hi Tony Meola, I had no idea there was such a site. I'll check it out. I am really hot on one boat that I just found. But, I do not want to jinx myself. So I am going to keep my mouth shut for now.
Thanks
Brian
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Welcome aboard Brian
What ever your interest are you will find opinions and commradare here....and you will find this site to be a collection of well mannered gentlemen.

Of course we all want for you to own a Bertram......but what ever you get just use it a lot and enjoy the water! ! !

Harry
hb
randall

Post by randall »

brian....i have a 25 with twin 360 chrysler inboards (same block as the 318)....its a fairly stock boat. works fine in all conditions and gets very decent fuel burn.
DoOver

Post by DoOver »

Harry Babb wrote:Welcome aboard Brian
What ever your interest are you will find opinions and commradare here....and you will find this site to be a collection of well mannered gentlemen.

Of course we all want for you to own a Bertram......but what ever you get just use it a lot and enjoy the water! ! !

Harry
Good morning Harry. Thanks for the welcome. Informed gentlemen have always perfered Bertrams, one would think.
Brian
DoOver

Post by DoOver »

randall wrote:brian....i have a 25 with twin 360 chrysler inboards (same block as the 318)....its a fairly stock boat. works fine in all conditions and gets very decent fuel burn.
Two barrel carter carbs on your 360's Randall?
Brian
John F.

Post by John F. »

DoOver-

If you really want to trailer, you may want to look at boats with an 8'6" beam or less--they're trailerable pretty much everywhere. The B25 has a wider beam than that, and you legally can't trailer without special permits, at least in MD. That may not be a big deal to some, or a big deal if you're trailering locally only. But if you want to trailer from the Catskills to Montauk, the Outer Banks, or CBBT, you may want to stick to an 8'6" or less. Also think about how much weight you want to trailer--I gave alot of thought to a 26 Regulator awhile ago, and then talked to a few guys about trailering them. They're alot to trailer--say 10,000 loaded. Not for me. Good luck. If you like Shammys, take a look an older Topaz, or Fish Nautique--they seemed to me to be worth looking into if you want a semi-trailerable inboard.

John F.
randall

Post by randall »

4 barrel. if you keep the secondaries closed (3300 RPM) 27 +or- mph 10.5 GPH
DoOver

Post by DoOver »

John F. wrote:DoOver-

If you really want to trailer, you may want to look at boats with an 8'6" beam or less--they're trailerable pretty much everywhere. The B25 has a wider beam than that, and you legally can't trailer without special permits, at least in MD. That may not be a big deal to some, or a big deal if you're trailering locally only. But if you want to trailer from the Catskills to Montauk, the Outer Banks, or CBBT, you may want to stick to an 8'6" or less. Also think about how much weight you want to trailer--I gave alot of thought to a 26 Regulator awhile ago, and then talked to a few guys about trailering them. They're alot to trailer--say 10,000 loaded. Not for me. Good luck. If you like Shammys, take a look an older Topaz, or Fish Nautique--they seemed to me to be worth looking into if you want a semi-trailerable inboard.

John F.
Hi John,
Thanks for the heads up. I remember the overwidth hubbub coming out of N.C. Another reason why I am looking at the Shammy. 8x26 are good nauitcal numbers.
Brian