Fuel tank intallation Question 1

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Fuel tank intallation Question 1

Post by John F. »

OK--the tank is out, and I've cleaned up the old foam. I'm debating how many "while I have the decks up" I want to tackle, and may just do what's needed for the tank install.

First question-- In the bottom of the bilge are two half-round fiberglass tubes running fore and aft that channel the bilge water out. They have a little "shelf" between them. I'm guessing I should get these out, and glass in a new shelf for the tank to give the tank something else to rest on and to keep bilge water off the bottom of the tank. Is that right?

Thanks.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

Most of the fiberglass water raceways under the tank that I've seen are pretty flimsey and don't do much to keep water out of the tanks compartment.

I use 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe, cut into two halves, and glass it in. Fill in the space between them with strips of 3/4" insulation foam to rise a bit above the new raceways.

Click on the image for the rest of tankage page:

ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Capt'n Patrick,

Are you compiling the work your doing on this new Hancock resto like you did with Buddy Boy?

I'm sure I speak for most when I say I would love to see the documentation.

Much Thanks!

Ian.
Mack

Post by Mack »

I have a solid wood shelf (can't recall if it is teak or mahogony) that fits the contour of tunnels and is completely glassed in. This allows residual bilge water to continue to flow between the low (middle/cabin) point and aft section. The tank sits on feet that sit on the shelf, allowing air flow and (hopefully) no moisture. I also have two 1/2" holes through the rear tank bulkhead at shelf level to release any water from the tank compartment in the event there is any meaningful accumulation.

Feel free to come over and take a look. I decided not to haul it this winter, however I moved it to a slip so she bow to the weather!
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

ianupton wrote:Capt'n Patrick,

Are you compiling the work your doing on this new Hancock resto like you did with Buddy Boy?

I'm sure I speak for most when I say I would love to see the documentation.

Much Thanks!

Ian.
Yup... I let some of it dribble out here and there, but not quite ready to do a "Before 'n After" presentation yet. There's almost 200 megs of images so far. The ugly duckling stage is a long one when you're working all by your lonesome...
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Thanks Capt'n!

Keep teasing us a bit now and then:)

Ian.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Thanks for posting those pictures Capt. Pat, exactly where I am at and you answered a hundred questions without having to say a word. My engines will be in this month and Ill post some shots when done.
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bob,

The stock B31 tanks have that "keel" ridge down the center line, so your foam panels, (if you go that way), will need to be fitted so that tank won't rest directly on the water races, but still pocket in between them. I used 3/4" pink stryne insulation foam on this boat. Closed cell and a bit more compressive strength than the urethane like stuff.

Glad this thread coincided with your current project.

Br,

Patrick

John F.

Post by John F. »

Capt. Pat-

Thanks.

Crae-

When I'm ready, I'll come over. I still have to figure out what "while I'm in there" stuff I have to do, and what can wait.

John