Thayer

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Thayer

Post by Harry Babb »

Guys.......I would nearly kill to own this boat

I never have been much of a movie goer but this Chris Craft represents on of my all time favorite movies.

What do Ya'll think???? would that be cool or what

Movie Star!!! Thayer IV from "On Golden Pond"
Harry
hb
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

That's not a bad price, especially given it's provenance. Walter
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

Its worht it if you love Mahogany boats and the work that goes with them. Great Fresh water boat because as you know the salt just will kill that engine.

Not sure what year this boat was built but I know that Flat head 6 by heart. One of my fathers first ventures into boats was an old 18' Chris with that very same engine. Boat looks very similar except my fathers was 18 foot and was painted. I believe the one my father had was built somewhere between 1955 and 1958.

Kept blowing head gaskets. Had the head planned down, then my fatther doubled up the head gasket. It finally stopped blowing head gaskets after that.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I once owned a Wood Lapstrake Cruisers.........20 feet long powered with a V6 and an Eaton outdrive. It was a great boat.....but I spent my entire off time scraping and painting.

I remember one winter I stripped and revarnished all of the mahogany woodwork. When I was done she was beautiful. Within 2 years it was ready to be done all over.

I did not have a place to keep it under cover and the South Alabama sun just killed the varnish and paint.

This story occured in the mid 70's.

I would love to own one of those classics but it simply is not the smart thing for me to do......but what the heck........I can atleast dream

Harry
hb
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

Dreams keep us going.

If you do it you would own two classics.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

One of my neighbors is a collector of old cars. He bought one of those mahogany cruisers that he keeps in 3 Mile Harbor Marina. He has the equivalent of a floating garage/lift in his slip which lifts it out of the water and side and top covers that keep the sun off of it. A lot of maintenance costs for the few times he and his wife tool around the harbor in it. The boat gets a lot of "oooh's and "ahhh's" when it does, though. Walter
scot

Post by scot »

Harry,

Have 2 totties and call me in the morning, I'm sure whatever is eating you up, will go away.

My Uncle is a CC nut, he has owned dozens of them, currently has a 50+ footer that totally consumes him. Cruises the boat from Texas to the Bahamas, those twin 427's have made many laps up and down the IC.

I can admire the boats, and I like to look at them, but own one...NO WAY. The people that own those boats are not boaters or fisherman, they are full time restoration carpenters and brass polishers who fear fire more than the Scare Crow in the Wizard of Oz.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Carl

Post by Carl »

My first boat was a 19' mahogany Chris Craft. When I got the boat I thought it was just an old painted lapstreak hull. Figured I'd play around with it for a season, do some fishing hit the beach then bring it to the junk yard when I was done.

After bringing it home I looked at the boat and decided it just looked ridiculous the way it was, as the boat had blue painted sides with black antifoul going halfway up the gunnel. So figured I's spend a day or two and scrape the antifoul down to the waterline then repaint the gunnel. Soon as I scraped the antifoul off I started to see the boat was mahogony and not lapstreak. I joked to myself about scraping the entire hull and varnishing. But I continued along, bought the topside paint for the gunnel and made plans with buddies to use the boat over the weekend.

The following year I had the boat completely scraped down, sanded smooth as a babies arse and 8 coats of varnish applied. The hull was sweet. The inside still needed help but decided to stop there and get some use out of her...however the engine had other ideas as the prior owner swapped out the marine motor for a car motor with opposite rotation and I really had enough by then, I knew of a deal on a two year old 19' Bayliner with less then 5 hours, and had someone interested in the Chris Craft, just the way she was, so I sold wood boat which paid for the Bayliner and I was Boating that weekend.

I love to look at old wood boats, but you could not give me one unless it was taken care of by someone else.
randall

Post by randall »

i had an all wood 25 foot commercial abalone dive boat. not a real looker like a chris...but a pretty cool boat i felt comfortable surfing the channel islands and central coast from . something about how wood hulls run is very nice.....till the water starts seepin in.